Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:18 AM   #101
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to umiwangu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iffy22 View Post
So I guess you'll have to ask one of your US friends to place the order.
What is this with data plans/iPhone plans in the US? Almost impossible as a visitor?
I've found the US to be very backwards when it comes to getting connected. I lived in Malawi for 12 years, and you could just walk into a store and get a new SIM card for $2. Getting a data plan was an easy as loading airtime and choosing a data bundle. Here in the US, it's a lot more complicated than that.

I just ordered a StraightTalk SIM to use with my jailbroken (but not unlocked) AT&T iPhone 3GS. We'll see how it works.
umiwangu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 03:45 AM   #102
Iffy22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by umiwangu View Post
I've found the US to be very backwards when it comes to getting connected. I lived in Malawi for 12 years, and you could just walk into a store and get a new SIM card for $2. Getting a data plan was an easy as loading airtime and choosing a data bundle. Here in the US, it's a lot more complicated than that.

I just ordered a StraightTalk SIM to use with my jailbroken (but not unlocked) AT&T iPhone 3GS. We'll see how it works.
I abandoned the idea of getting a Straight talk SIM, ordered a Red Pocket SIM from Amazon at $1.99 instead and will activate it online. No problems at all.
Iffy22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:01 AM   #103
Azzin
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I abandoned the idea of getting a Straight talk SIM, ordered a Red Pocket SIM from Amazon at $1.99 instead and will activate it online. No problems at all.
Could i order one from Amazon.com (I live in the UK) and have it delivered to the address I'll be at from next Monday in NYC?

Then presumably, i go online and add/activate the data tariff I want?
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:35 AM   #104
Iffy22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
Could i order one from Amazon.com (I live in the UK) and have it delivered to the address I'll be at from next Monday in NYC?

Then presumably, i go online and add/activate the data tariff I want?
Yes that should be possible. I had it delivered to a friend in the US. Bear in mind it's not a micro SIM, you'll have to cut it if you have an iPhone 4/4S
Iffy22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:37 AM   #105
Azzin
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes that should be possible. I had it delivered to a friend in the US. Bear in mind it's not a micro SIM, you'll have to cut it if you have an iPhone 4/4S
Thanks, I've got a SIM cutter so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any particular one to choose from here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...po%2Caps%2C205 ?

Cheers.
Azzin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 07:38 AM   #106
Iffy22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
Thanks, I've got a SIM cutter so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any particular one to choose from here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...po%2Caps%2C205 ?

Cheers.
I ordered mine from Unlimited Phones 4 Less, free delivery and it shipped after one day. I noticed it's down at $0.99 now
Iffy22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:17 AM   #107
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
What kind of data plans do they offer?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 02:59 PM   #108
Iffy22
macrumors newbie

Quote:
What kind of data plans do they offer?
Check out their website goredpocket.com
Iffy22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 04:09 PM   #109
kausamortiz
macrumors newbie

Google Voice Number

I just got my locked (att off-contract) iphone 4s on a ST plan today. I simply followed the steps from here and it worked just fine. I was surprised to see "4G" next to "Home" - i am near Chanpaing, IL

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get visual voicemail through youmail without jailbreak it. .. Or even use GV for a workaround?

Much appreciated.
kausamortiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:35 AM   #110
Sulten
macrumors regular

this video tells you step by step,

hxxp://youtu.be/Y9wU8J24RA4
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:36 AM   #111
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Check out their website goredpocket.com
Thanks... they always make the data limits so low. :-|

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulten View Post
this video tells you step by step,

hxxp://youtu.be/Y9wU8J24RA4
I don't think you have to get the Nokia E71 anymore, since StraightTalk now allows you just to purchase an AT&T compatible SIM card.
umiwangu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:56 PM   #112
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

I got my StraightTalk SIM card today and just activated it. It works very well. I did have to hack the APN for 3G data to work. The 3G speed is pretty slow, but I'm fine with that.

I still need to figure out how to get MMS to work. Not a big deal though.

iPhone 3GS, 5.0.1, jailbroken, but not unlocked. StraightTalk unlimited monthly.

And I'm finally realising that Google Voice is pretty neat. :_)
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:13 PM   #113
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I got my StraightTalk SIM card today and just activated it. It works very well. I did have to hack the APN for 3G data to work. The 3G speed is pretty slow, but I'm fine with that.

I still need to figure out how to get MMS to work. Not a big deal though.

iPhone 3GS, 5.0.1, jailbroken, but not unlocked. StraightTalk unlimited monthly.

And I'm finally realising that Google Voice is pretty neat. :_)
Theres some tutorials on youtube.

My friend is getting straight talk this week, and I think I will help him set it up on his unlocked iPhone 4s.

I am assuming getting the service to work is easy, just getting the MMS to work will take a few min due to the jailbreak and all.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:41 PM   #114
Eddy120876
macrumors member

Well Folks I took the plunge and got the ST 45 plan in february and lets just says IM LOVING IT (TM) The service has been good and mind you I have an old Iphone 3G unlocked and jailbroken. Runs good for an old phone and no issues with the web or text. GO STRAIGHT TALK GO!!!

PS Since we don't know the limits of the net we must stick to the ATT limit of 2GB some have gone over 5GB in less then a month.
Eddy120876 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:15 AM   #115
iphone4wanter
macrumors member

when i got my 4S, I gave my 4 to my mom. i set it up for her on StraightTalk. Amazing! Perfect! Nearly same speed as my AT&T, but her's is unlimited! Much better than H20 (mvno too)!!
iphone4wanter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:02 AM   #116
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Theres some tutorials on youtube.

My friend is getting straight talk this week, and I think I will help him set it up on his unlocked iPhone 4s.

I am assuming getting the service to work is easy, just getting the MMS to work will take a few min due to the jailbreak and all.
I still can't get MMS to work. I'm already jailbroken, and I have TetherMe installed so I can check the MMS settings, and they match what StraightTalk recommend... I might give them a call.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:54 PM   #117
Eddy120876
macrumors member

Quote:
I still can't get MMS to work. I'm already jailbroken, and I have TetherMe installed so I can check the MMS settings, and they match what StraightTalk recommend... I might give them a call.
what service you choose? ATT or T-mob for ATT this is what you need to have.

Cellular DAta
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

Visual Voicemail
APN acds.voicemail
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

MMS
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)
MMSC htttp://mmsc.singular.com
MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
MM UA Prof URL http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
Eddy120876 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:23 PM   #118
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

I have an iPhone 3G jailbroken and unlocked. I only jailbroke so I could unlock and use on my region carrier.

If I switch to straighttalk, can I use the stock firmware locked to AT&T , with no need to Jailbreak? Will it still activate in iTunes?

Will visual voicemail work?

Thanks to all the tipsters
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:40 PM   #119
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy120876 View Post
what service you choose? ATT or T-mob for ATT this is what you need to have.

Cellular DAta
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

Visual Voicemail
APN acds.voicemail
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

MMS
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)
MMSC htttp://mmsc.singular.com
MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
MM UA Prof URL http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
Nope, didn't work. Besides, the settings were different to what unlockit.co.nz applied.

I originally had...
APN: wap.cingular
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com:80
Max MSG size: 1048576

I assume you meant http://mmsc.cingular.com or is it really singular.com?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post
I have an iPhone 3G jailbroken and unlocked. I only jailbroke so I could unlock and use on my region carrier.

If I switch to straighttalk, can I use the stock firmware locked to AT&T , with no need to Jailbreak? Will it still activate in iTunes?

I don't think I can answer your question completely, but I took my new (used) 3GS, jailbroke it (mainly to install Cydia) and then used the StraightTalk SIM on a locked baseband. I didn't get the StraightTalk SIM card to activate it, as it didn't arrive in time. I used my sister's AT&T GoPhone SIM to activate the phone.

I have no idea about visual voicemail, as I've never used it before, nor am I using it now.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:05 PM   #120
techguy20
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepower7 View Post

If you get the AT&T MicroSIM from StraightTalk, the AT&T locked device, unjailbroken, would work.

Visual Voicemail wouldn't work regardless.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:59 AM   #121
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Hey all!

My friend got his straighttalk sim last night, and set up his account (he actually ported a number)

I just wanted to let you know he has a factory unlocked iphone 4S running 5.0.1.... he did not have to jailbreak and MMS worked out of the box!

The only problem is that only imessage is working, and regular text is not working for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:04 PM   #122
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Hey all!

My friend got his straighttalk sim last night, and set up his account (he actually ported a number)

I just wanted to let you know he has a factory unlocked iphone 4S running 5.0.1.... he did not have to jailbreak and MMS worked out of the box!

The only problem is that only imessage is working, and regular text is not working for some reason. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!
That's not MMS, that's iMessage. Two totally different things. Jailbreak, and fix the APNs, and MMS will work.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:00 PM   #123
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hey all!

Thanks!
Does visual voicemail work on the unlocked 4s?
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:11 PM   #124
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
That's not MMS, that's iMessage. Two totally different things. Jailbreak, and fix the APNs, and MMS will work.
MMS Does work, but SMS does not. Unless you are trying to tell me that the MMS is only working as part of iMessage, which is why photos are coming through?

Tonight I will test sending MMS to a non-iphone, and also call up ST and see why SMS is not working.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:38 PM   #125
techguy20
macrumors 6502

If the phone is factory unlocked, and if you happen to have a T-Mobile MicroSIM, you can use this APN trick to edit the settings if you don't want to jailbreak:

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...e#Data_.26_MMS

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone