Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:55 PM   #126
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
MMS Does work, but SMS does not. Unless you are trying to tell me that the MMS is only working as part of iMessage, which is why photos are coming through?

Tonight I will test sending MMS to a non-iphone, and also call up ST and see why SMS is not working.
From your post, it sounds like MMS doesn't work. You need to try to send an MMS to an Android (or dumbphone) user, as sending to an iPhone user will send an iMessage, which is just data. MMS has to go through a special APN.

----------

The way I understand it, you have to Jailbreak to get access to the MMS APN settings, otherwise only iMessage and SMS will work.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:35 AM   #127
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Skype™ to umiwangu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy120876 View Post
what service you choose? ATT or T-mob for ATT this is what you need to have.

Cellular DAta
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

Visual Voicemail
APN acds.voicemail
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)

MMS
APN att.mvno
Username(leave it blank)
password(leave it blank)
MMSC htttp://mmsc.singular.com
MMS Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com:80
MM UA Prof URL http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf
I spoke too soon. I had cellular data turned off. So it looks like MMS will not work with wifi only.

Thanks for the help!
umiwangu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:50 PM   #128
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by umiwangu View Post
I spoke too soon. I had cellular data turned off. So it looks like MMS will not work with wifi only.

Thanks for the help!
MMS has to be routed through cellular data (GPRS, EDGE or UMTS).
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:52 PM   #129
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
MMS has to be routed through cellular data (GPRS, EDGE or UMTS).
Ah...
umiwangu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:52 PM   #130
DEEBS808
macrumors newbie

I have been using my iphone 4s on ST for about a month 1/2 and love it.Everything works with out any problems.I just need to limit my usage as it is to be believed that there is a 2gb a month limit.If you all need help with straight talk and their BYOD check out HowardForums.com Thats where I got help with my iphone and how to set it up.
DEEBS808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:34 PM   #131
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

I just ordered my SIM today, will switch to straight talk finally to save monies.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:37 PM   #132
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
I just ordered my SIM today, will switch to straight talk finally to save monies.
Be careful with your data usage. This is why I'm staying with AT&T. Sure it's more expensive but I get 3GB data per month instead of two with Straight Talk.

I've though of switching to but the 2GB limit bothers me.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:37 PM   #133
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
Be careful with your data usage. This is why I'm staying with AT&T. Sure it's more expensive but I get 3GB data per month instead of two with Straight Talk.

I've though of switching to but the 2GB limit bothers me.
Thank you for the heads up. We are trying to save monie because right now I'm paying with at&t just for one line about $102/month compared to $45, that is $1224-$540 (per year)=$684 savings that I can put towards gas monies or food. I have gotten multiple paycuts in my 13year+ job, from $44,000/year to $38,000 and soon I'll be working for $33,000/year the way this economy is going, I need to save.

I have the unlimited at&t data plan (grandfathered), but today I had to pump $28 in gas along (will last me 1 and 1/2 week) and I dont see a reason why give this extra monie to at&t.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:28 PM   #134
ducksauce88
macrumors newbie

I heard that you can't use the data on straight talk to web browse, stream YouTube, download music. Is that true? Are you guys able to do everything that you would be able to do on att network? That is the only thing stoping me from buying a gevey sim for my wife's iPhone 4s.
ducksauce88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:37 PM   #135
sracer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksauce88 View Post
I heard that you can't use the data on straight talk to web browse, stream YouTube, download music. Is that true? Are you guys able to do everything that you would be able to do on att network? That is the only thing stoping me from buying a gevey sim for my wife's iPhone 4s.
The only limitation that I'm experiencing on my unjailbroken, locked AT&T iPhone 4 using a StraightTalk micro-SIM is the inability to send/receive MMS messages.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:39 PM   #136
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not true. You just have to make sure you get the right APN info. Go to unlockit.co.nz. I'm using it on my jail broken 3GS, but you don't need to be jailbroken or unlocked.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:53 PM   #137
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
The only limitation that I'm experiencing on my unjailbroken, locked AT&T iPhone 4 using a StraightTalk micro-SIM is the inability to send/receive MMS messages.
Did you use unlockit.co.nz? I used it and MMS is working on mine.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:22 PM   #138
ducksauce88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Sold me. Thanks guys! I look forward to saving $40 a month in the long run.
ducksauce88 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:31 PM   #139
sracer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Did you use unlockit.co.nz? I used it and MMS is working on mine.
Yes, I did. That sets up the APN values to use data, but it doesn't do anything for MMS. In order to use MMS on StraightTalk on a non-4s iPhone one must jailbreak.

If you have have MMS working without using tetherme, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would love to hear how you did it.
sracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:33 AM   #140
chiefpavvy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes it is true, Straight Talk "Unlimited" Data is not really so. And they will not specify or tell you what their limits are. But if you go over, you will get a warning and then they just cancel your account -- and no refunds, either.
chiefpavvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:09 PM   #141
Sunsean
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpavvy View Post
Yes it is true, Straight Talk "Unlimited" Data is not really so. And they will not specify or tell you what their limits are. But if you go over, you will get a warning and then they just cancel your account -- and no refunds, either.
But the limit is about how much data you use, not HOW you use it, correct? Having a 2GB cap and not being able to browse the web are two totally different things.

I for one am seriously considering this. My original plan was to use a prepaid SIM from ATT and carry around a mobile hotspot for unlimited 4g data. The 4g hotspot is either $35 or $50 a month, and I was going to rely on google voice for most calls/texts. But the simplicity of having a traditional phone plan, no contract, that gives me full access for $45/month is amazing. Plus I won't have to carry around the hotspot everywhere, even though it is small. For crazy data users, obviously this might not be ideal. But for me, I think 2GB should be fine. I don't stream a ton of video or music, don't download crazy apps and files, just check gmail, facebook, IM, use maps. For this basic use I think it should be more than enough.
Sunsean is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:41 PM   #142
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsean View Post
But the limit is about how much data you use, not HOW you use it, correct? Having a 2GB cap and not being able to browse the web are two totally different things.
I'm not sure what you mean here... wouldn't your 2 GB cap directly affect whether or not you can browse? I do agree that a normal user might not hit that limit. I do Gmail, some streaming, and some tethering, and I'm only up to about 1GB.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:08 PM   #143
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

I'm still waiting for my SIM to arrive, the fed ex truck still has not dropped it.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:29 PM   #144
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm still waiting for my SIM to arrive, the fed ex truck still has not dropped it.
I had to go pick mine up from the FedEx office, because I missed signing for the package.

Last edited by umiwangu; Mar 29, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:30 PM   #145
chestvrg
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I had to go pick mine up, because I missed signing for the package.
You mean to the fed ex carrier ramp.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:40 PM   #146
umiwangu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You mean to the fed ex carrier ramp.
Right. I couldn't schedule the delivery.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:00 PM   #147
Sunsean
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here... wouldn't your 2 GB cap directly affect whether or not you can browse? I do agree that a normal user might not hit that limit. I do Gmail, some streaming, and some tethering, and I'm only up to about 1GB.
What I meant was that they seemed to be suggesting that the type of data you use is restricted. For example, that you can't browse the web AT ALL. I was just trying to point out that I think the restriction is how much data you use, not how you use it. So of course you could use up 2GB by browsing, streaming, tethering, whatever. I was just saying that you CAN browse and do normal data functions...up to the limit, which is the real restriction.

Ordering my SIM today. I am on wifi whenever I am home anyway, so I really am not worried about going over 2GB. Even with my current/old TMO plan, I rarely go over 1MB with regular use. I am not what some would call a 'power' user I guess. I keep data on 24/7, and use it regularly, but for routine things like mentioned before, email, etc. I am not downloading full hd movies or anything. The most data intense thing I do on a regular basis is browse the web to find something and then map it out/get directions with Maps, and maybe retrieve email attachments.
Sunsean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:02 PM   #148
TheBigKing
macrumors 6502a

to get mms working u need to use 3g or wifi ?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:07 PM   #149
onthecouchagain
Banned

Anybody in NYC using this?

Also, what's this deal with "refilling" the phone? Meaning, if you want another month, you have to purchase another 30 days each time? Or is the refill something else entirely?

Last edited by onthecouchagain; Mar 29, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:50 PM   #150
Sunsean
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Anybody in NYC using this?

Also, what's this deal with "refilling" the phone? Meaning, if you want another month, you have to purchase another 30 days each time? Or is the refill something else entirely?
I am in NYC and just ordered my SIM. Should get here Saturday. So can't comment on experience yet, but I'm hopeful. The 'refill' thing is for the plan, so yes every 30 days you have to add another $45 30 day plan to keep going. I think they have options to buy like 6 months in advance at a discount rate, but I opted for the month-by-month until I can confirm how solid it is.

----------

Oh - question for those who have ported their old # to Straight Talk service: when do you port the number? After you get the SIM and are activating it? Did you encounter any trouble from your former provider? I am porting my old # from my current coverage with T-Mobile...Straight talk says something on their site about how if there is 'trouble' with the provider there can be up to a 7 day delay...? Anyone experience anything like this?
Sunsean is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone