Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:32 PM   #51
clborden
macrumors regular

I live it central CT & got my 1st warning from AT&T around 7.8gb, but I pushed it to 9.2. Last month I did 9.3 without any warning at all, so I don't get it.
clborden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:44 AM   #52
Pumapayam
macrumors member

Exclamation

Houston Texas
Got my warning 14 days into my cycle.

The near top 5% warning was at 1.65 GB.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:51 AM   #53
pooleman
macrumors 65816

I live in south eastern CT. I got throttled at 11.5 gigs last month6 days into my billing cycle. Monday I got a throttling warning at 3.8 gigs. Not throttled yet but we will see.
pooleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:22 AM   #54
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040

New Orleans, LA

Used roughly 2.4gb and got the throttling message

Brother in law used 1.9gb and got it.

We both switched service carriers right after

Used our wallets to make a statement towards AT&T
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:59 PM   #55
spaghetti head
macrumors member

Big data hog here. 1.9 GB total since mid May 2011. I also have an unlimited data plan.
spaghetti head is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:22 PM   #56
slippery-pete
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwind View Post
The moment I am throttled once this is what I am going to do.

1. At night I will begin uploading 2gigs of pictures and video a night to dropbox. This is so numerically speaking, if people did this, the mythical "5%" will go up, not down, as AT&T wants it to

2. I will call. Being firm and professional, escalating my call and taking people's names, documenting my calls.

3. I will send a certified letter explaining my issue and how they can resolve my issue, being firm and polite, to the CEO.

4. (This may be done after or at the same time as he former.) Complaints to the FCC and the BBB, mainly for false marketing of their "unlimited" plan and lack of customer transparency in the process of throttling.

5. I will cancel my service, with or without the ETF, when the iPhone 5 comes out. I am hoping that the minimum AT&T wil do for me is waive this, since they have greatly reduced the amount of bandwidth available to me, and I am a long time customer.

6. I may or may not pay the ETF. Each time a collection effort is made I may challenge the validity of the debt using the reduced bandwidth clause in their TOS, printed out with screen shots from my phone and a letter.

Oh, I'm in the Cleveland, OH area and I recieved my warning message on 1/30/12, by using 6gb. This amount doesn't bother me, but it's the slippery slope leading to 2gb or less that bothers me.
slippery-pete is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:46 PM   #57
Apple Expert
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMac View Post
New Orleans, LA

That's the way to show AT&T you mean business.
Apple Expert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:56 PM   #58
whtheck
macrumors newbie

Received a warning at 1.6gb and got throttled at 2.3gb. Reno Nevada
whtheck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:28 PM   #59
z28black98
macrumors member

Quote:
New Orleans, LA

Did you call and cancel or go to a store? Not for sure if you can even cancel in a store. Did they try to recover your business by offering dollars off your montly bill??
z28black98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:18 AM   #60
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28black98 View Post
Did you call and cancel or go to a store? Not for sure if you can even cancel in a store. Did they try to recover your business by offering dollars off your montly bill??
Called and cancelled.

Got zero resistance from AT&T to quit. They said ok and we moved on
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:29 PM   #61
Apple Expert
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Called and cancelled.

Got zero resistance from AT&T to quit. They said ok and we moved on
When I told them I was cancelling they were willing to give me family text messages for $20 for 6 months. That's all they were willing to do. Only willing to offer a discount on messaging but nothing on data plan. I was looking for 5gb plus tethering for $30 a month. They wouldn't budge so I moved on from ATT. But I do miss those speeds when I wasn't throttled. Verizon is much slower on downloads but web browsing pretty much the same as ATT.
Apple Expert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:42 PM   #62
Pumapayam
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumapayam View Post
Houston Texas
Got my warning 14 days into my cycle.

The near top 5% warning was at 1.65 GB.
Formal throttle started today since I am now in the top 5% 17 days into my cycle,

Houston, Texas
2.5 GB
0.23 Mbps download speed.

That's about 1/10 of normal, but surprisingly, isn't that near Verizon 3G speeds?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:03 PM   #63
luvsoccer
macrumors newbie

Philly area

12/22/2011 - Received my first ever throttle warning text when I hit 10GIG, but never received the followup throttle notice and was never throttled in December.

1/23/2012 - received throttle warning text at 6GIG
1/25/2012 - received throttle notice text at 7.8254 GIG and was immediately throttled at .10Mbps download speed

2/20/2012 - received throttle warning text at 4GIG
2/21/2012 - received throttle notice text at 6.4GIG in the morning but not immediately throttled
2/22/2012 - throttled in the morning, but not at .10Mbps - can get up to .25Mbps download

Last edited by luvsoccer; Feb 24, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
luvsoccer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:51 PM   #64
Apple Expert
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumapayam View Post
Formal throttle started today since I am now in the top 5% 17 days into my cycle,

Houston, Texas
2.5 GB
0.23 Mbps download speed.

That's about 1/10 of normal, but surprisingly, isn't that near Verizon 3G speeds?
Dam Verizon and their slow speeds!!

Already at 8 gbs and still 10 days left in the billing cycle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	326090  
Apple Expert is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:50 AM   #65
pooleman
macrumors 65816

I got this months warning on Feb 20th ans was at 3.8 gigs. I just got the "you may be reduced" text last night at 6.5 gigs. I only have 3 days left in my billing cycle. I watched Netflix all day yesterday on the phone. I thought it would take a few days for them to throttle me but AT&T was right on top of it.
pooleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:41 AM   #66
illini1
macrumors newbie

I live in Springfield, IL and got my text last night. I was at 2MB. This is my second month in a row to get the text.

I called AT&T and they basically said that they know that the contract doesn't allow them to do this and if you take them to small claims court you'd win. They said that they'd appeal and draw it out as long as possible to make it as expensive as possible for you. I was shocked the rep admitted to this.
illini1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:34 AM   #67
Apple Expert
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini1 View Post
I live in Springfield, IL and got my text last night. I was at 2MB. This is my second month in a row to get the text.

I called AT&T and they basically said that they know that the contract doesn't allow them to do this and if you take them to small claims court you'd win. They said that they'd appeal and draw it out as long as possible to make it as expensive as possible for you. I was shocked the rep admitted to this.
You shouldn't be shocked at anything AT&T does. They only care about their profits.
Apple Expert is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:37 AM   #68
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Expert View Post
You shouldn't be shocked at anything AT&T does. They only care about their profits.
You mean like all those other companie who don't want profit? I didnt realize AT&T wasn't interested in making money, and should be providing services free....who'd have thought, a company out to make money, shocking!
iphone1105 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:51 AM   #69
Apple Expert
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
You mean like all those other companie who don't want profit? I didnt realize AT&T wasn't interested in making money, and should be providing services free....who'd have thought, a company out to make money, shocking!
They are in it to make money. However treat your longterm customers by throttling their speeds when a brand new customer isn't effected at all? Your kidding me right?
Apple Expert is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:11 PM   #70
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Expert View Post
They are in it to make money. However treat your longterm customers by throttling their speeds when a brand new customer isn't effected at all? Your kidding me right?
No I am not kidding you, because you've been on a contract or a customer longer means your owed something? I've been with AT&T for years and year now, hell I was with cingular way back before they AT&T sank their teeth in. Just becuase you've been with them "forever" doesn't entitle you to crap.
iphone1105 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:54 PM   #71
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone1105 View Post
No I am not kidding you, because you've been on a contract or a customer longer means your owed something? I've been with AT&T for years and year now, hell I was with cingular way back before they AT&T sank their teeth in. Just because you've been with them "forever" doesn't entitle you to crap.
Why are you back? We told you that your tired rants and defense of AT&T was now well documented, unwanted, and unnecessary. You have added nothing NEW to the conversation in weeks. Please go away or bring something new.

Your comments are like week old potato salad: bland, unappealing, taking up needed space, and starting to smell a little.
pooleman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:06 PM   #72
iphone1105
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleman View Post
Why are you back? We told you that your tired rants and defense of AT&T was now well documented, unwanted, and unnecessary. You have added nothing NEW to the conversation in weeks. Please go away or bring something new.

Your comments are like week old potato salad: bland, unappealing, taking up needed space, and starting to smell a little.
You use "we" you mean you and two other dudes don't like what I say?

Also, what argument was I having with anyone? I simply stated open opinions, which you choose to beef with. I dont care abotu arguing on a message board, I just type what my head thinks. You're all sorts of lost bro.

Back? Been posting here for years! Some people have jobs, where we work and do things and cant troll a message board all day, so yeah, us real world people got stuff to do, can't comment every minute every day kiddo! Just because you dont like my opinion, doesn't mean I can't voice. Sorry to hurt your feelings sweety. There's actaully a nifty button allowing you to ignore me, you should click it. However you seem to love what I post since you stalk every post I write, stop being stalker-ish, my ol' lady will get jealous!

Also your potato salad line is weak, if you're going to be funny, then at least bring the funny, everyone can appreciate good humor, that was just sad...so try something else, this time actually be funny. I encourage it

Furthermore, you never reply in context to what i post topic wise, you just make general comments trying to attack, where's the debate in that? I have better debates with my 13 year old nephew.

Last edited by iphone1105; Feb 28, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
iphone1105 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:50 PM   #73
SpaceKitty
Banned

Fort Collins Colorado. I used 5GB in two days and didn't get a warning. I was at 711 MB three days before my billing cycle ended and ended the month with nearly 6GB. I used that much data in two days using iTunes Match.
SpaceKitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:14 PM   #74
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Been a customer since Cingular then AT&T and the iPhone in 2007 w/ an unlimited data plan, never tethered or once went over 3 GB/mo. Starting in October AT&T began throttling my account. I have a 917 (NYC area) mobile, but travel a lot for work (spend half my time bet NYC and the west coast). This began when I was an AAPL corp employee as well. Spent many hours in AT&T stores and on the phone with "Data Reps" and they all stated the same rhetoric… until one went off cue and mentioned this was a "Data Monitoring Program for Unlimited Users." She stumbled and tried to backtrack. That was rich.

Off-topic re: area/market:
I finally gave in and switched to a tiered 3 GB mo plan. Still was getting throttled and now I'm being forced to enter "captcha's" to verify my account when googling/yahoo'ing in Safari. Now in S.F. for work, I went into an AT&T corp. store and the rep was dismayed (this happened in Boston in January and was already documented, the store rep told me to phone AT&T to remove it). The rep in S.F. on Sunday could not get AT&T to remove it from my account even though I have not been an unlimited data user for two months.

I'm tethering the ****** out of my plan and hope they'll terminate my service and VZW has a better LTE network which will be great when the new iPhone LTE is released, they do not throttle customers for the remainder of their billing cycle (only when the tower is less congested and your 3G/4G speed is back), plus they're at least upfront about screwing you lol.

Last edited by bedifferent; Feb 28, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:42 PM   #75
magicbrain
macrumors regular

only thread standing

hopefully since semi-gods post their anger at this issue here, mods won't censor / close this (last standing) thread on the issue ...

anywho, interesting article from a lawyer, who advises how to legally fight this battle. & yes, as some of you might have heard, someone sued attFail & got $800 ... not much, but if enough of us will sue, att might finally consider raising throttle capt to 5GB

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
at&t, att, throttle, throttling