Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I know there are adapters to play Master System games on the Game Gear, but I'd rather buy a Master System over the portable battery-dependant Game Gear system.

The dependance on batteries and the microscopic screen are the two main reasons I'm shying away from the Game Gear. If I would be able to play the Game Gear games on a Master System, I would be able to play on a larger screen, and not have to deal with the frustrations of batteries.

Any input is appreciated!

-Alex :apple:

EDIT: Just did some more searching and it is impossible to play Game Gear games on a Master System. There are mods you can make to a Game Gear system to get output to a TV, but the colors are screwed up. Here's the website I read all of this on:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/sho...Game-Gear-games-on-a-Master-System-(Or-a-PBC-)

Last edited:

TurboMoses

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2012
Booo. yeah, game gear is pretty abysmal.

I don't know what they were thinking. 6 AA's?!

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I remember the development game gear systems from years ago and they were custom builds from the hardware dept. of Sega while they were still in Redwood City.

The colors were correct, but you're going to need an older CRT SD set to get the best picture. They were built for third party testing so bugs or gameplay footage could be recorded on tape.

Not sure how they got it done, but it can be done :)

As far as the Master System/Game Gear hardware goes, the video chipset on the handheld is more powerful, and has the ability to display more on screen colors and other minor changes, not up to the abilities of the Genesis mind you, but worth noting.

Back in the day I did get a Game Gear for myself so I could play my Master System games on the go. Text was hard to read due to the differences in resolution and the limitations of LCD displays of the time. The best was the TurboExpress, but at $400, it failed. It had the tech to bring the console experience in you hands, but was also a battery eater at twice the price.

Nintendo I admit, got it right by the original Game Boy and the rest as we say it, is history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.