Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Nlynn527
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
MacBook Air on Craigslist

This is my first thread so take it easy

I was browsing craigslist earlier when I came across an ad for a brand new Macbook air 11 inch for $600. I contacted the seller and he told me he had received two for Christmas and he was selling one of them. It was brand new, still had the plastic on it. He gave me the serial number, which I checked on Apple's website and it is under warranty until next December. I also called Apple and verified this information. He agreed to let me open it and test it out before buying it. I drove about 25 minutes and met him at his home. I opened it, turned it on, went through the initial setup menu and played around on it for a little. Everything looks legit. Did I just get lucky to find such a good deal or am I possibly missing something?
Nlynn527 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68020
 
Spink10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlynn527 View Post
This is my first thread so take it easy

I was browsing craigslist earlier when I came across an ad for a brand new Macbook air 11 inch for $600. I contacted the seller and he told me he had received two for Christmas and he was selling one of them. It was brand new, still had the plastic on it. He gave me the serial number, which I checked on Apple's website and it is under warranty until next December. I also called Apple and verified this information. He agreed to let me open it and test it out before buying it. I drove about 25 minutes and met him at his home. I opened it, turned it on, went through the initial setup menu and played around on it for a little. Everything looks legit. Did I just get lucky to find such a good deal or am I possibly missing something?
You got an awesome deal.
Spink10 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:55 PM   #3
IngerMan
macrumors 6502a
 
IngerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY.
Since you met him at his home and are still typing, I would say that is one heck of a deal. Plus you contacted Apple and it was not reported stolen. But being invited to ones home seems pretty legit.

I hope you grabbed it for that is one great deal.
__________________
MBP 15" Quad | iPad 4G | iMac 20" C2D | iPhone 4S | TV2
IngerMan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Nlynn527
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
You got an awesome deal.
I was hoping for this response, thanks!

Currently typing on it now.. love it so far! It will be a nice addiction to my family of Apple products.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngerMan View Post
Since you met him at his home and are still typing, I would say that is one heck of a deal. Plus you contacted Apple and it was not reported stolen. But being invited to ones home seems pretty legit.

I hope you grabbed it for that is one great deal.
I did. He actually gave me his neighbors address and met me outside at first but then invited me in. Just covering himself, which I completely understand.
Nlynn527 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5
ajohnson253
macrumors 68000
 
ajohnson253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Man it is good to hear people that get good deals on CL. That's how I picked up this new 13" loaded air for 1,300 I was so psyched. 600$?! that is awesome haha.
__________________
Apple & Snapple for Lunch.
iPhone 4S, 13" 1.8GHZ 256GB i7 MBA
ajohnson253 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Nlynn527
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson253 View Post
Man it is good to hear people that get good deals on CL. That's how I picked up this new 13" loaded air for 1,300 I was so psyched. 600$?! that is awesome haha.
I was a little skeptical at first but even the girl from Apple's customer service said she would jump all over it.
Nlynn527 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:16 PM   #7
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Looks like a good deal especially if you have the computer on hand and you haven't been arrest yet.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:20 AM   #8
Jaro65
macrumors 68040
 
Jaro65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
You got a really great deal. Good for you! Enjoy the machine.
__________________
rMBP | MBP | MBA | ACD | iPad | iPhone | ATV | iPods | Senn HD 650
Jaro65 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 02:48 AM   #9
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000
 
tom vilsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ladner cdn
id never go to someones house from craigs ad with 6 bills...but as your alive and got air..id say you won the lotto

but please meet craigs ad's at public location in future....
tom vilsack is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 05:38 AM   #10
Nlynn527
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom vilsack View Post
id never go to someones house from craigs ad with 6 bills...but as your alive and got air..id say you won the lotto

but please meet craigs ad's at public location in future....
Thanks for the concern. I didn't go alone. Took the boyfriend with me.
Nlynn527 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:02 AM   #11
G5isAlive
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
sounds like a great deal... but I want to be adopted into the family where someone gets TWO macbook air's for christmas!
__________________
I am just another poor schmo trying to work up to 500 comments for his avatar darn it!
G5isAlive is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:04 AM   #12
Nlynn527
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by G5isAlive View Post
sounds like a great deal... but I want to be adopted into the family where someone gets TWO macbook air's for christmas!
Yeah, really!
Nlynn527 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:42 AM   #13
notjustjay
macrumors 603
 
notjustjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
Sounds like you got a great deal.

Where it starts to get fishy is if the seller were to say that they needed a wire transfer, or needed you to mail the money first because they were out of town, or start doing things other than the traditional "meet up, look it over, and hand over cash" deal.
__________________
.
notjustjay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Nlynn527
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Sounds like you got a great deal.

Where it starts to get fishy is if the seller were to say that they needed a wire transfer, or needed you to mail the money first because they were out of town, or start doing things other than the traditional "meet up, look it over, and hand over cash" deal.
Agreed! I told him from the beginning that I wasn't buying it until I saw it working in person. At first he said no because it was still sealed and if I opened it and then decided I didn't want it he couldn't advertise it as new anymore. I told him I understood where he was coming from but that if he was being honest with me and it was a real working laptop in the box then we wouldn't have an issue and I would buy it. He agreed and everything worked fine.
Nlynn527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 02:55 PM   #15
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Congrats!
Is that the base model (11/i5/2/64?)
That is (for me) $630 dollars in savings (13% tax!)
Great deal and enjoy
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 03:55 PM   #16
Nlynn527
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
Congrats!
Is that the base model (11/i5/2/64?)
That is (for me) $630 dollars in savings (13% tax!)
Great deal and enjoy
Yes it is the base model. It worked it to be about $460 in savings for me! We have 6% tax here.
Nlynn527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 02:48 PM   #17
Nlynn527
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
So today I made a genius appointment at my local Apple store. I took the Air in and told them I had bought it on craigslist without really thinking it through and wanted to check to make sure everything was okay....

The genius took it apart, checked for water damage and everything else. He ran a diagnostic on it which came back fine and finally ran the serial number which came back clean as well... It was purchase on December 25 from Amazon. So looks like I got extremely lucky to find such an awesome deal! Thank you all for your input.
Nlynn527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 06:21 PM   #18
aaron580
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
You are VERY lucky. 2 weeks ago i bought what I thought was a base model air of craigslist and turned out it had applecare so I took it to local police just to make sure it was legit and it was stolen. Lost 750$ on that deal. i let my guard down unfortunately.
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" 2.3ghz i7, 8gb, 500gb 7200rpm, High Rez glossy, Macbook Pro 17" 2.5ghz Core 2, 4gb, 500gb, Macbook Pro 13" 2.3ghz i5, iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb 500gb, iPhone 4 S⃣ 32gb White Verizon
aaron580 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 04:46 PM   #19
swiftbmx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I hate to one up this story but I got a very similar deal off Craigslist. The config was 11" i5 1.6ghz/2gb/128gb ssd which retails at $1099 with the SSD upgrade. Someone was selling for $900 on CL and the post was up for about a week.

I told the guy I didn't think he was going to get that much for it. He said he'd take anything because his exgf got it for him for Xmas and he doesn't know anything about macs and would rather put the money towards a PC. I offered $600, he took it immediately but banks were closed so I could only take out $500 from the ATM. Had another $60 in my pocket so he as even cool with that. Brought it home, checked the serial, sure enough it was bought a week before Xmas and was still tied to his name so everything checked out.

Computer was in prisine mint condition. Sold my old C2D 11" air for $750 next day so I netted $190 in my pocket and was able to upgrade my config!

To top it all off, it came with both a Samsung LCD panel and SSD HD.
swiftbmx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Nlynn527
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftbmx View Post
I hate to one up this story but I got a very similar deal off Craigslist. The config was 11" i5 1.6ghz/2gb/128gb ssd which retails at $1099 with the SSD upgrade. Someone was selling for $900 on CL and the post was up for about a week.

I told the guy I didn't think he was going to get that much for it. He said he'd take anything because his exgf got it for him for Xmas and he doesn't know anything about macs and would rather put the money towards a PC. I offered $600, he took it immediately but banks were closed so I could only take out $500 from the ATM. Had another $60 in my pocket so he as even cool with that. Brought it home, checked the serial, sure enough it was bought a week before Xmas and was still tied to his name so everything checked out.

Computer was in prisine mint condition. Sold my old C2D 11" air for $750 next day so I netted $190 in my pocket and was able to upgrade my config!

To top it all off, it came with both a Samsung LCD panel and SSD HD.
Awesome! Congrats, that is a great deal! I did something similar with my iPhone back in October. Sold my 16gb iPhone 4 for $350 on Craigslist and then bought a 4s 32gb for $300 (with my upgrade of course). So I came out with a newer phone and $50 in my pocket.

Last edited by Nlynn527; Feb 10, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Nlynn527 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:00 AM   #21
gjb11
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indiana
I found an ad on CL for this:

1.6 HZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor,
2 GB DDR3 SDRAM,
120 GB Hard Drive HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M grafic processor w/ 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM
2008-2009ish model, he is not positive...

Thoughts?

He said bottom dollar is $650
gjb11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:33 PM   #22
tonie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I was trying to sell my two months old 15" MBP back in August and the guy stole it from me in front of everybody. I didn't want to approach him because who knows what he might carry. Ripped off his license plate and turned out it was fake. Police didn't come until an hour or so later. This was happened in Dallas, TX.

Edit: FYI, you can't flag a stolen laptop and apple wont do it either. There's no way you can find out of the laptop is legit or not unless the seller has receipt to prove it otherwise. I'm almost guarantee you that most of the laptops that claimed to received as gifts on this forum and craigslist without receipt are stolen.

Last edited by tonie; Feb 9, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
tonie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:58 AM   #23
gjb11
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indiana
I know this isn't an air but saw this ad on craigslist:

http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/sys/2843967776.html

2.4Ghz core 2 duo. Thoughts/help/questions I should ask?
gjb11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:34 AM   #24
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb11 View Post
I found an ad on CL for this:

1.6 HZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor,
2 GB DDR3 SDRAM,
120 GB Hard Drive HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M grafic processor w/ 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM
2008-2009ish model, he is not positive...

Thoughts?

He said bottom dollar is $650
IMHO, if it is the pre-2010 model MBA, that's too much. Refurb 2010 models direct from Apple start at $700.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:38 AM   #25
swiftbmx
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjb11 View Post
I know this isn't an air but saw this ad on craigslist:

http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/sys/2843967776.html

2.4Ghz core 2 duo. Thoughts/help/questions I should ask?
Not worth $725. Check out cowboom.com for some i5 MBP and Airs.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie View Post

Edit: FYI, you can't flag a stolen laptop and apple wont do it either. There's no way you can find out of the laptop is legit or not unless the seller has receipt to prove it otherwise. I'm almost guarantee you that most of the laptops that claimed to received as gifts on this forum and craigslist without receipt are stolen.
Sorry your laptop got stolen and you did nothing to stop it but mine was purchased from someone legitimately. I'm basing that on the type of person I interacted with and where I met him(his residence in a pretty upscale neighborhood). I've done over 100 transactions off CL between both buying and selling and all have been smooth and easy. You need to have a certain radar to weed out the idiots.
swiftbmx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: iPad Air Purchase on Craigslist... 6thDAY iPad 35 May 15, 2014 05:53 PM
All iPads: Found iPad Air 16GB for $400 on Craigslist. gc15 iPad 13 Feb 7, 2014 01:44 PM
iPad: Buy sealed iPad Air on Craigslist Flip87 iPad 47 Jan 13, 2014 12:55 PM
iPad: Bought an Air off of craigslist. Cellular options? Natesac iPad 22 Nov 29, 2013 08:14 AM
Buying a new Macbook Air on Craigslist nick42983 MacBook Air 7 Aug 7, 2013 02:44 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC