Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Hello everyone. I currently run two displays, 27 ACD and a 24 ACD. I mainly use my machine in osx and would like to have a card dedicated to each display. The 5770 does perform well under osx for what I use it for. However, I do play BF3 mainly in windows and would like some extra performance. My question is, can I run a second mac 5770 under crossfire in windows? Is it just a simple crossfire cable as well as driver update?

I was also thinking of a 5870 with a gt120 for the second display but that is quite a bit more money.

or 6870 and a gt120.

I am looking for a set up with the least amount of issues.

Thank you for the help.

K15

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Eagle River, Alaska
I have a MP 5,1 with dual HD 5770s.

I running Win Pro 64 in bootcamp. I have the CrossFire Bridge installed. I'm running AMD Catalyst 10.11 (64Bit). This will enable both of your cards under windows. I've tried the newer versions of Catalyst and when clicking on Enable Crossfire, I would get the Blue Screen of Death. This would be with or with the Bridge installed. The Bridge will not fit without filing down one of the little tabs that stick out.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco

I running Win Pro 64 in bootcamp. I have the CrossFire Bridge installed. I'm running AMD Catalyst 10.11 (64Bit). This will enable both of your cards under windows. I've tried the newer versions of Catalyst and when clicking on Enable Crossfire, I would get the Blue Screen of Death. This would be with or with the Bridge installed. The Bridge will not fit without filing down one of the little tabs that stick out.

Could I downgrade my drivers? I think I currently have the latest drivers.

K15

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Eagle River, Alaska
http://guru3d.com/news/amd-catalyst-1011-drivers-read-for-download/

Here is a link to them.

I downloaded the 10.11s first, then did a compete uninstall. Restarted back into Windows 7 and then installed the 10.11s. Click on the enable Crossfire and you will be fine.

I play BF3, The Call of Duty games with no issues.

Bf3 lets me know it would like to update the current drivers but I just close the window and keep playing.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Could you post a picture of how much you filed down? I just don't want to damage it in case I need to return it.

K15

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Eagle River, Alaska
ATICrossfireBridge.jpg

ATICrossFireBridgewoTab.jpg

ATICrossFireBridgeInstalled.jpg

It doesn't matter which tab you file down. I used my wife's fine nail file and bought her a replacement one, when complete.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
The card should be here tomorrow. When running crossfire under windows does each monitor have to be plugged into one card?

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
OK so I I installed the second card and everything on the os x side is flawless. On windows its great to. I activated crossfire but when I play multiplier BF3 I get terrible FPS when I am moving. As soon as I stay still the FPS jumps back to 50+. I played the single player campaign and I didn't see a drop in FPS.

I installed the drivers 10.11 that k15 suggested.

What could be causing this?

CPU Bottleneck under multi-player? I get good framerate in single player with crossfire....

Last edited:

K15

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Eagle River, Alaska
BigJohno,

I downloaded the new 12.1 Catalyst Driver set the 148 MB file.

Uninstalled 10.11 restarted,
Installed 12.1 restarted

Opened Catalyst 12.1, opened Gaming, clicked on CrossFire and Enabled.

No Blue screen of death. Restarted Mac just to make sure. It seems that the Catalyst now gives use the able to use Crossfire.

Open BF3 checked video settings. I’m using “Auto”, no High or Ultra. Game play has definitely improved.

Good Hunting.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
I tried the new drivers and the crossfire enabled but just a few seconds after it turned on I got the Blue screen. I will keep trying different combinations... Thanks for all your help!

I might just return it and fork out the money for the 5870 and a gt120.

Last edited:

febres

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Crossfire with 5770 in Mac Pro 5.1

Hey buddy, hope you still being active in the forum and can help me, please.
I have the Mac Pro 5.1 with a very similar configuration than yours, and i don't know how to set crossfire with the two ATI 5770.

I've been recently surfing the web looking for a tut or something but i haven't found nothing yet.

I would really appreciate a hand on this.
¡Salute!

Ironjer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Hey buddy, hope you still being active in the forum and can help me, please.

I have the Mac Pro 5.1 with a very similar configuration than yours, and i don't know how to set crossfire with the two ATI 5770.

I've been recently surfing the web looking for a tut or something but i haven't found nothing yet.

I would really appreciate a hand on this.

¡Salute!

Hi, did you install the lastest catalyst 14.7rc3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.