Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hello everyone,

it's been ages since I last started a thread here but I just had to express somewhere that I think my new classic (which is hardly new in reality as it hasn't changed since 09!) is absolutely brilliant.

So I am sitting here, typing this post on my iPad, my iPhone in my pocket, MacBook on the coffee table and mac pro in the office, but am waxing lyrical over what many would deem the most boring bit of apple tech I own.

Why do I like it so much... Because I had forgotten just how wonderful it is to have all my songs in my pocket again.

And that's it really, it's nice that it doesn't have apps, it's nice that nobody can interrupt my listening by phoning me, it's nice that I can change songs without looking at it. But what I truly enjoy is humming a random tune, reaching in my pocket, and being able to listen to it right away.

I know this post may sound totally useless, and in a way it is. But to all those who like their classic iPod, please just jot a reply below, in the hope that when our current classics die, we will be able to walk straight back into an apple store to buy another.:)

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I like my 80GB video iPod, but now it stays in the car's glovebox, where it could just as easily be a little portable hard drive. We had some good times, though. ;)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
did you obsess over the right case and all that?
Like 1/4 of MR threads have to do with iPhone 4s cases...

I actually bought a case for it before purchasing the unit itself! But I only got it to make it look smarter for work. Outside of work It goes au natural... My previous iPods have all lasted well without cases, and I like to see the design when I use it!

For those interested, here is the case I bought...

http://www.knomobags.com/uk/men/apple/ipod-classic-case/

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
I would love to have an iPod classic as well. Something without apps that I don't have to manage. Something I can just drop all my content without having to think about it. Which is why I don't use my iPod touch anymore. Its too tempting to run it like I run my iPad and iPhone. Dropping a ton of apps on it and organizing it "just right" which drives me mad.

I'm waiting for it to come down in price before I buy one though. $249 is a wee bit too high for me for a media device using a spinning hard-drive. Feels a tad bit more fragile than an iPhone.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
I hope the Classic survives. A bump in capacity and maybe a better DAC would be nice. But really. I would settle for it just hanging around.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I like my 80GB video iPod, but now it stays in the car's glovebox, where it could just as easily be a little portable hard drive. We had some good times, though. ;)

I've had my 80GB classic iPod for years now as del and since getting my new Chevy Cruze a few months back it stays in the car now. It was great on a road trip to Key West, I made a long playlist and had iTunes randomize the songs and plugged it into the jack in the car and we listened to music for 8 straight hours with no two songs repeating. It was great and my travel companions loved it.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah my classic sits in the glovebox too. It's connected directly to the stereo system in the car. I can access the all my music right from my car's stereo. The only time i take the ipod out is when i want to add more music to it. Otherwise it just sits there and does it's thing!

I have the 60GB version and that's PLENTY of music.

PieVine96

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
London
Dad's Classic

My dad got a Classic (or the iPod ''Video'' to some) back in 2005, when I was 9 or so, and I've been holding off the newest Classic for a good few years now- ended up with an iPod Touch that broke after only 4 months, but will definitely get the Classic if they bring out a new one..

Glass screen, 1080p HD, enough battery life for music and films, and of course 250/320gb...

Oh, and what about a white front!? One can dream.. :rolleyes:

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I bought a Classic a while back when there was talk of it being axed from the Apple product line. I'd been slow to include the iPod in my tech repertoire but after a few months with my iPod Nano 5G (bought when the Nano 6G had just launched, and which I didn't like as a design at all), I was convinced of their merit as a functional tool.

I haven't taken the iPod Classic from its box yet (it's the black iPod, by the way) but I have plenty of music to load onto it once my Nano is full. That's the point when I'll begin putting my entire music collection onto the Classic, but I'm in no hurry. And it could take a while!

Yes, I hope that they keep the Classic and upgrade it. We'll see…

rogan

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
My dad got a Classic (or the iPod ''Video'' to some) back in 2005, when I was 9 or so, and I've been holding off the newest Classic for a good few years now- ended up with an iPod Touch that broke after only 4 months, but will definitely get the Classic if they bring out a new one..

Glass screen, 1080p HD, enough battery life for music and films, and of course 250/320gb...

Oh, and what about a white front!? One can dream.. :rolleyes:

1080p on a 2.5" screen, gl ;]

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hello everyone,

it's been ages since I last started a thread here but I just had to express somewhere that I think my new classic (which is hardly new in reality as it hasn't changed since 09!) is absolutely brilliant.

So I am sitting here, typing this post on my iPad, my iPhone in my pocket, MacBook on the coffee table and mac pro in the office, but am waxing lyrical over what many would deem the most boring bit of apple tech I own.

Why do I like it so much... Because I had forgotten just how wonderful it is to have all my songs in my pocket again.

And that's it really, it's nice that it doesn't have apps, it's nice that nobody can interrupt my listening by phoning me, it's nice that I can change songs without looking at it. But what I truly enjoy is humming a random tune, reaching in my pocket, and being able to listen to it right away.

I know this post may sound totally useless, and in a way it is. But to all those who like their classic iPod, please just jot a reply below, in the hope that when our current classics die, we will be able to walk straight back into an apple store to buy another.:)

Lovely idea for a thread and I agree with you completely.

I, too, have a classic (an 80GB which travels with me everywhere) and I also have the 64GB Touch, which, frankly, I use mainly as a music listening device as well. Along with almost everyone else who has posted in this thread, I love the idea of being able to carry my music in one device.

Given that I travel a lot (sometimes, to strange and occasionally inhospitable countries), I value being able to have my music collection readily to hand.

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
Between iPods being broken and stolen by ex girlfriends, I've been through about 8. I went a couple years without having one, wishing I had it again. Then my lovely girlfriend got me a current gen 160 GB Black iPod classic for my Birthday. Man do I love this thing! I only have about 9Gb free, and it's fantastic having all that in my pocket again. Every Podcast or song on my computer, now in my pocket again! It's great for car rides too. Can't wait to move to Cali and use this baby across country!

I do really hope Apple never discontinues this device. I don't want an iPod Touch since my iPhone is basically a better iPod Touch... I rather have the classic click wheel! I love just hitting a physical button and not having to look at a glass screen to choose the next song! But ah, all things must eventually come to an end right? And it sure does seem like the iPod era is coming to an end. Especially since the "iPod" section of the iPhone - the very convenient way of having my music and movies grouped together - is now gone. I miss that damn icon!

OwenMeasures

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
London
I have had iPod Touch & Nanos just thought my iPhone 4S can do all that my Touch can do... i then bought a 160GB Black iPod Classic and havnt looked back!!

I think it would be silly for Apple to axe the Classic, people that buy iPod Touch are young people that dont have an iPhone and want to play games, but alot of people (like ourselves) have a huge music library and just want an iPod that can have our whole library on it... not having to sacrifice song to put other on because you have ran out of memory. :apple:

----------

I also have a little latest Gen iPod Shuffle (for the gym) love that too, just for its simplicity!!

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Hello everyone,

I totally agree with you, I have an iPhone 4S and as soon as i heard that the iPod classic was discontinued i knew i had to get one. Yes its simple just strictly music and videos etc. But thats all i need in a music player really. I don't know The classic is just "classic" i had one 4 years ago back in high school it broke on me and ever since I've been sticking with an iPhone this whole time, its good to be re-united once again with an iPod.

RIP iPod Classic

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Had anoption to buy one today, i bought the 6G 8GB nano instead. I love 160GB of storage, and the design, but believe it or not the FM radio was the deal breaker. (I don't have a stereo in my truck, the reason I got the nano with the radio.) It sure looked beautiful though, was very tempted. Just still a clickwheel fan.:D

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
Yeah, I am going to be getting a Classic soon (I hope). I had a 30GB iPod Color (remember those) for a few years, and my friends bought me a 32GB 2nd Gen iPod Touch for Christmas like 3 years ago. I love it and it's still working well, but it is out of space. I love all the extra features of the Touch, but I really don't like it as much as a music player. Having to take it out of my pocket, and look at the screen to change tracks is annoying. I know I can get a remote, but still... I also like being able to carry all of my music with me, you never know what you might want to listen to at any given moment.

Right now I have about 32GB of music, which isn't a ton for some people, but wont fit on my Touch. I thought about getting a Refurb 64GB touch for the same price as a Classic, but at the rate Im going 64 won't last that long. I have a phone that can run apps and surf the web, without Wifi mind you, so I really don't need an iPod that can do those things. I just want a device that is designed to do what the iPod was originally made for, which is wait for it...... play music!

nate13

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
I just recently got a hold of a 7th gen 160GB classic and it is WONDERFUL! Between the genius mixes and having all of my music right in my pocket... It is simply wonderful.

It was my first Apple product and now I have the iPhone 4s. As simply amazing as the 4s is, I just can not seem to stop using my Classic. There is something about it that will never be able to be disregarded or duplicated.

Look at the iPod Classic. This is where it all began and the Classic is still just as valuable to it's owners now as it was then. the elegance, the simplicity, the functionality. Apple got it right from the start.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
Nice, I love my Classic and I say it every day if I have to. I love having everything with me at all times and not having to pair down songs to fit on the smaller iPods.

Gorion

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2006
I had a black 80GB (or was it 60?). I think it was the 2nd iPod Color that came out. It was nice to be able to switch songs without having to look at it. I miss that.
I have a 4th Gen iPod touch now. I really like it, but there are certain things that I miss about the click wheel...

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Love my classic, it mostly stays connected to the home theater. I have 60g video and that stays connected in the car.

kywildcats

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
I have a 30 gb right now. I use it almost daily. I can not stand the thought of getting one of the other iPods. Breaks my heart to think that they might give it the axe. I am going to be getting a new one before much longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.