Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
I have an 80 GB iPod video. I use it but not as much as I did before, so I'm wondering if I can partition it to say a few gigs and use that partition as an external drive and maybe have a linux distro or other form of goodies there to take with me, while still maintaining a large part of the iPod (say 40 gigs) to music and be recognized in iTunes. Is this possible? Are you running such scenario or have different ideas? Thank you guys.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
wont work. as soon as you partition it, and try to connect to itunes, itunes will want to restore it before you can use it and will remove your partition.

DrNoellyG

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
wont work. as soon as you partition it, and try to connect to itunes, itunes will want to restore it before you can use it and will remove your partition.

I was fearing that. Well I guess I will keep using it as an iPod for the time being. I checked out some sites where they basically replace the operating system but I don't feel as excited to do something with it as I did before confirming the above. In any case, if/when I try something with it, I will post it here. Thanks.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto

not exactly true.

I installed on my (ancient) iPod photo.

It sort of works like a dual boot mac.

and when you but it into iPod OS it would work fine

~Wrinkster22

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
not exactly true.

I installed on my (ancient) iPod photo.

It sort of works like a dual boot mac.

and when you but it into iPod OS it would work fine

~Wrinkster22

The iPod 5 and 5.5 have a different firmware setup than the iPod 4 (Photo). They cannot have multiple partitions on them and be used as an iPod at the same time.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
you can enable disc use on the 5 and 5.5 gens, but its not exactly the same as having multiple partitions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.