Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

new.jpg

Screenshot from FinerThingsIn.com
DaringFireball notes several changes in some of the icons found in OS X 10.7.3. Several of our readers had also noticed the small changes in pointer icons in the latest version. It seems the changes run a bit deeper than on first glance. The new icons apparently come in high DPI versions that allow them to scale at high resolutions.
Have you noticed that Safari's hovering-over-a-link pointing-finger cursor looks a little different in Mac OS X 10.7.3? It's not just that the finger is at a slightly different angle -- it's a new UI resource that scales gracefully to larger sizes. That's not the only new high-DPI image resource in 10.7.3: the grabby hand in Mail, the camera cursor for selecting an individual window to take a screenshot of, and a few other UI elements got the high-DPI treatment in 10.7.3.
Matt Gemmell shows an enlarged version of the icon when zoomed in Universal Access:

large-1.jpg

As Daring Fireball notes, this could simply be meant for use in Universal Access, but given the active work on high-resolution support in OS X, we too think ultra-high resolution Macs are coming soon. One recent rumor had pegged a "Retina" MacBook Pro as arriving as early as Q2 2012.

Article Link: Apple Adds High-DPI Versions of Pointers in OS X 10.7.3

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Why are those screen captures in JPEG? In this case PNG would be the best format to use.

Or is there still "JPEG is the best solution in all cases" people out there? :confused:

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Retina 15" Matte Macbook Pro with next-gen i7 and 512gig SSD and 16gig RAM in Air-like form factor.

Apple, I will give you $5,000 for this in an instant.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I really hope there's some sort of leap in battery technology before Apple launches a 'retina' display. Don't those things suck up a lot of energy?

The iPhone 4/s can get away with it because the screen is so small, imaginably. But an 11-17in screen? Woah nelly! I seldom get more than 4-4.5 hours on my 11in MBA already... can't imagine what it'd be like with a 'retina' screen.

Granted, we'd probably see it in the MBP first. So who knows. I have no figures or facts, so I'm just merely speculating.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I can't wait for super mega ultra high def screens on mbp!

But no upgrading for me in 2012, my next mbp upgrade is in 2014, imagine what they will have by that time! :)

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
anticipation...

When Apple officially announces a retina display MacBook Pro people are going to go nuts!

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
So what would be considered "retina" on a laptop? And realistically wouldn't we need to see a major leap in graphic performance? Not to mention the battery concerns.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I'm not sure if it's because I have heard of the possibility of retina displays on computers or because I use my computer more, but I have noticed more and more pixeliness on my 13" MBP that bothers me and I often find myself wishing for just this feature! Gives me hope that Apple has not forgotten about its Macs.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I anticipate they'll use mobile graphics cards.

I gathered that, but many mobile cards struggle running 2560x1440 (27" Apple TB display). How will they cope with the massive increase?

There is no point having amazing resolution with choppy GUI animations. The Intel HD 3000 can barely run 1080P lag free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.