Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesuispizza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys, I am getting ready to try and sell my old iPhone 3GS and am trying to get it unlocked. I had to upgrade to 6.15.00 to get an unlock on it and now it seems like a waste. I have tried both redsn0w and sn0wbreeze and ultrasn0w, and have tried a bunch of different methods and supposed "No Service fixes" a bunch of times.

Some common fixes I am seeing is to use a custom IPSW or re-flash the Baseband, which I have tried multiple times among other things. Nothing is working at all. I am in Canada, so it's not a common T-Mobile issue either.

The phone still works but is locked to the original carrier.

Any help would really be appreciated, I am at a total loss right now...

Last edited:

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
When you changed the baseband to 6.15.00 were you originally on iOS 4.X? If so, did you use a custom IPSW when you were updating the software to iOS 5 (aka you didn't download it through iTunes)?

jesuispizza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
No it was already on iOS 5.0.1. But I did do a restore and used the stock IPSW, which I read after was a bad thing. So then I created a custom IPSW and restored using that.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
No it was already on iOS 5.0.1. But I did do a restore and used the stock IPSW, which I read after was a bad thing. So then I created a custom IPSW and restored using that.

Okay, forget everything this post said before. After a bit of searching, I found this video. See if maybe this works for you. During the setup, do not enable location services (you can do that later).

Last edited:

jesuispizza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Haha I already did everything your last post said, and it didn't work, and I have already seen this video and tried it, and just tried it now as well, and still "No Service". :mad:

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Reflash the iPad baseband, but do it while you're on 4.1 not 5.0.1, the upgrade back to 5.0.1 w custom firmware

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

ok So....first once you got the iPad BB you can't ever...restore using stock firmware you are locked down using custom IPSW forever.

second.... The iPad baseband won't work with 3GS's made after week 35, so check your serial number.

So...to be clear..once you realized of your mistake, you cooked a custom IPSW that had the ipad Baseband on it, right? then you run Ultrasn0w and reboot, and after all that, you still got no service? You are in canada, so I am guessing that the phone is locked to rogers, how are you testing that the phone is in fact still unlock? which carrier SIM are you trying?

jesuispizza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Reflash the iPad baseband, but do it while you're on 4.1 not 5.0.1, the upgrade back to 5.0.1 w custom firmware

OK I will give that a shot...

ok So....first once you got the iPad BB you can't ever...restore using stock firmware you are locked down using custom IPSW forever.

second.... The iPad baseband won't work with 3GS's made after week 35, so check your serial number.

So...to be clear..once you realized of your mistake, you cooked a custom IPSW that had the ipad Baseband on it, right? then you run Ultrasn0w and reboot, and after all that, you still got no service? You are in canada, so I am guessing that the phone is locked to rogers, how are you testing that the phone is in fact still unlock? which carrier SIM are you trying?

Well maybe your second point is my problem. The first 5 of the serial number are 80948, which I take to mean made in 2009, week 48. So does that mean that even with the 6.15.00 BB on it I'm screwed?

Yes I made a custom IPSW with iPad BB on it and ran ultrasn0w. The phone is actually locked to Bell, and I am trying a Rogers SIM card in it. Hopefully the fact that Bell is CDMA and Rogers is GSM doesn't have anything to do with it.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
OK I will give that a shot...

Well maybe your second point is my problem. The first 5 of the serial number are 80948, which I take to mean made in 2009, week 48. So does that mean that even with the 6.15.00 BB on it I'm screwed?

Yes I made a custom IPSW with iPad BB on it and ran ultrasn0w. The phone is actually locked to Bell, and I am trying a Rogers SIM card in it. Hopefully the fact that Bell is CDMA and Rogers is GSM doesn't have anything to do with it.

OK... well..you are ok as far as the iPad BB, the week 35 issue apply only to those build on 2011.

Bell have a HSPA network, 3GS does not support CDMA, so that is not the issue. I am going to take all the obvious issues out of the way since you seen to have an good idea of what you are doing (stuff like make sure you got Rogers coverage where you are, etc).

Did you try resetting network settings?
When you go to settings it is in fact show BB as 6.15.00?
I am not completely sure at what point you went to 5.0.1 (before or after the custom IPSW), if you updated your BB the ipad BB is not going to take.

jesuispizza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
OK... well..you are ok as far as the iPad BB, the week 35 issue apply only to those build on 2011.

Bell have a HSPA network, 3GS does not support CDMA, so that is not the issue. I am going to take all the obvious issues out of the way since you seen to have an good idea of what you are doing (stuff like make sure you got Rogers coverage where you are, etc).

Did you try resetting network settings?
When you go to settings it is in fact show BB as 6.15.00?
I am not completely sure at what point you went to 5.0.1 (before or after the custom IPSW), if you updated your BB the ipad BB is not going to take.

Yes I am sure on the coverage, my iPhone 4 I am using now is Rogers and service is usually 3-4 bars.

I reset the network settings like you suggested, but no difference. I did confirm the modem firmware is 6.15.00 as well.

The phone was actually on 5.0.1 for a long time before. It was my girlfriend's phone so it was not jailbroken or anything. After she got her new one, I then did a full restore to stock 5.0.1 firmware, before updating the BB. Then I jailbroke and updated the Baseband to 6.15.00. Then after reading that was bad to use stock, I went through everything again using the custom IPSW. Then tried re-flashing, de-activating, etc.

@romeo0119: TinyUmbrella isn't working on my computer some reason. So unless there is another way for me to go down, I don't think I can go back to 4.1

Last edited:

jesuispizza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
OK so I finally got TinyUmbrella working, and downgraded to 4.1 and went through all of it again, and still no change.

Then a light bulb went off. Does the other SIM card I am testing need to be active? Because if it does, than I am a total moron. I have been testing it with an old Rogers SIM card from my old 3G.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
OK so I finally got TinyUmbrella working, and downgraded to 4.1 and went through all of it again, and still no change.

Then a light bulb went off. Does the other SIM card I am testing need to be active? Because if it does, than I am a total moron. I have been testing it with an old Rogers SIM card from my old 3G.

Um yeah I'm guessing..that if you want cell service...the GD sim needs to be active

jesuispizza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Um yeah I'm guessing..that if you want cell service...the GD sim needs to be active

Yeah I thought so...right about here is where I would insert a hand slapping the face smilie if there was one.

EDIT: Tried an active Rogers SIM, it`s working fine. Sorry for wasting people`s time. Hopefully this thread helps someone out in the future.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.