Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Teclis
macrumors member

Update SSD firmware before formatting.

I have gotten my hands on an m4 SSD by crucial, which I am going to install in my MBP at the cost of ditching the optical drive. I want to update the firmware on the new drive to version 0309. (Up from previous 0002.)

However, when I install it I am going for a clean reinstall of the entire system, so will the new firmware updates be erased from the SSD when I format it, or will the new updates still be ut to date? The reason for me asking is when I have no optical drive I will not be able to update the firmware, as the install must be done from a CD, and I have no external disc drives.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:54 AM   #2
parapup
macrumors 65816

Reinstalling OS / formatting does not impact firmware updates for the SSD. So whatever update you do will stick around no matter what.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Teclis
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapup View Post
Reinstalling OS / formatting does not impact firmware updates for the SSD. So whatever update you do will stick around no matter what.
Phew, what a relief. Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Lennyvalentin
macrumors 6502

Some (now quite old) harddrives could actually overwrite their own firmware in a low-level format operation; this because only some of the firmware was stored in a silicon chip ROM for cost (and upgradeability) reasons; the rest resided on a small section of the magnetic platters, and the firmware itself wasn't smart enough to exclude this section from a low-level format.

Thus customers ended up bricking their own drives by doing this. Thankfully the need/ability to low-level format disappeared soon afterwards because it's quite redundant in a modern harddrive that uses a closed-loop tracking servo instead of a mechanical stepper motor to move the head assembly.

Ancient trivia, no need to pay it any attention... */self shuffles off into the dusty shadows, muttering and mumbling about the kids today*

Normal service will now resume.
Lennyvalentin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals