Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auptimus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Hi guys,
I keep reading about this baseband thing. I want to unlock my phone, but I don't want to until I get more specified info on if I can do it according to my phone's specs:
iPhone 3GS.
Version: 5.0.1 (9A405)
Serial #: 84938xxxxxx
Baseband: 05.16.05

By the way, I don't mind losing the GPS option as I have a GPS unit anyway.

So I trust you guys. What are my options to unlock it? I'm paying at&t $47/month only for talking and I can have unlimited talk/text/web with t-mobile for only $50/month and without a contract.

My best regards.
Optimus

Last edited:

ylerT

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Las Vegas
Hi guys,
I keep reading about this baseband thing. I want to unlock my phone, but I don't want to until I get more specified info on if I can do it according to my phone's specs:
iPhone 3GS.
Version: 5.0.1 (9A405)

By the way, I don't mind losing the GPS option as I have a GPS unit anyway.

So I trust you guys. What are my options to unlock it? I'm paying at&t $47/month only for talking and I can have unlimited talk/text/web with t-mobile for only $50/month and without a contract.

My best regards.
Optimus

You can unlock it but only by flashing the baseband to 6.15.00 which is made for the iPad. This will make you lose GPS functionality.

If you're not too concerned about having a lot of data you can go sign up for H2O Mobile. They have plans in that price range but the $50 is only 250mb and the $60 is 1gb of data. The reason I recommend H2O is because you won't need to flash your iPhone baseband and you will be able to get 3G data speeds since they use the same system as AT&T.

auptimus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Unlock iPhone 3GS

Hi ylert,
Thanks a lot for your answer and for the info. I will give it a try. At least I don't have to unlock my phone. The $520/month plan is ok for me.
Have a wonderful day.
Optimus.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay

If you install the iPad baseband you'll brick your iPhone (killing the radio). Any 3GS with a production week of 35 or higher cannot take the iPad baseband.

I'm not quite sure for what production year though.

ylerT

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Las Vegas
Generally, the 3rd number is the year of production. Since his a 9 that would usually mean it was manufactured in 2009 and wouldn't be vulnerable to the "bricking" like newer devices are.

Either way, if you're looking to go pre-paid, H2O is a great solution. My wife is on it and I've now helped 4 of my friends switch from T-Mobile to H2O. Without the need for unlocking and having the ability to get 3G data, it's a really good choice/service IMO.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you install the iPad baseband you'll brick your iPhone (killing the radio). Any 3GS with a production week of 35 or higher cannot take the iPad baseband.

I'm not quite sure for what production year though.

That only Apply to 3GS manufactured on 2011 after week 35, OP 3GS was manufacture on 2009 week 38

auptimus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Unlock iphone 3gs

Hi guys,
Thanks for your inputs. Guess for now I will go with the H2O plan until they come up with an unlock for the 05.16.05 BB.
Have a wonderful day.
Optimus

auptimus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Unlock iphone 3GS

I checked red pocket website but they don't have the Store Location link. Don't know if they have any in Minneapolis, but H2O, yes.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
a lot of bad info here about basebands. 0 on that third digit mean 2009 since that refers to first year. 1 refers to 2010. If it's QR it's refurbed and all bets are off.

check this link. http://iphone-unlock.blogspot.com/2012/01/iphone-3gs-8gb-unlock-issue-with-ipad.html

If it's 16 or 32 GB, all of them will flash just fine. If it's 8 GB, then check the serial. If it's QR then it's very hit or miss but if you're within warranty, apple will just replace it with another 3GS at your local Apple store. Yes, I've done it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.