Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sarmiento

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
:rolleyes:

Had something strange happen to about 500 of my 25,000 photo library in Aperture and wanted to get some ideas on what could have caused this and if anyone has had this happen to them.

I was exporting all my master images from Aperture 3 into a folder and then having Lightroom 3 import them so I could test the software. I found that about 500 images were completely gray and would not show up in Lightroom. I could not see thumbnails or full images. I also tried to view the images in ViewNX2 and got an unsupported file type. However, I tested the images in Preview and Aperture and they were visible.

I figured I could open them up in Photoshop and do a "Save As" and the new copy was OK and they were "fixed". I also tried PhotoMechanic and since it could do batch processing I was able to perform "Save As" on all the images and was able to recover them. These new images are now visible on all the software programs.

Anybody have ideas what the hell could have happened?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.