Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Oct 5, 2014, 09:43 AM   #1
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Easily add photo gallery to website?

I want to add a photo gallery to my personal website. I have plenty of web programming experience to make it myself, but I feel like it would take me a few hours and that it's such a common thing that surely there's an existing solution that I can just drop in and customize a bit in a few minutes, instead of taking a few hours.

Since I'm asking for a free and easy solution, I'm not going to be very picky (beggars can't be choosers and all that) but this is what I had in mind:

- Near the bottom of my website, there's a section labeled "Photos" with a grid (table) of tumbnails of my photos laid out.
- When one of those thumbnails is clicked, an overlay appears with that photo filling up most of the screen.
- The overlay should have a way of closing it.
- The overlay should have arrows to move to the next / previous picture.

I'd prefer to have the photos hosted off my own machine but I'll accept it if as part of keeping this simple, I need someone else to host it.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:42 AM   #2
caloggs
macrumors newbie

I have used this gallery on some sites in the past https://github.com/blueimp/Bootstrap-Image-Gallery

It is simple enough to implement and displays photos as you described, can also be customised fairly easily

Last edited by caloggs; Oct 5, 2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Typo
caloggs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Check out fancyBox. http://fancyapps.com/fancybox/ Should be easy enough for you since you're a coder. This is actually the second version of it and it's on Github too.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 01:43 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Check out fancyBox. http://fancyapps.com/fancybox/ Should be easy enough for you since you're a coder. This is actually the second version of it and it's on Github too.
This looks great, thanks! Unfortunately, I decided to go with http://www.cincopa.com/ before I saw your response. Out of time to work on my website for now... it's okay, but not exactly what I wanted. I was hoping for some kind of grid of thumbnails, but cincopa didn't give me that option. Next time I need to do something like this I'll probably go with that option instead.

Last edited by ArtOfWarfare; Oct 5, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development