Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Fredmania
macrumors newbie

Which logo do you prefer?

Was browsing here and saw a similar post with a poll on which logo looked better. Thought I'd ask the same question with different options. Site name: TinyLightbulbs

A)

B)

C)

D)

(Here's a closeup of the lightbulb logo used in option 4, will clean up the lower portion, just sketched it quickly)

Fredmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:27 PM   #2
decksnap
macrumors 68030

I like the idea of the last one... I just think it needs work in its proportions. Right now it's quite literal... but for the mark to work better at smaller sizes, try reworking it to scale up the tiny filament to better fill the bulb space. Even then, the proportion of that mark to the type would have to be larger than what you have it at in 'D'.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Xcallibur
macrumors 6502a

C in my opinion!
32GB iPod Touch (3G)
Xcallibur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:37 PM   #4
SuperCachetes
macrumors 6502a

These are kinda cool. Here's my rundown...

I like "A," but it is rather wispy. Kinda disappears. That may be okay on a background other than white. The "Tiny" as the filament is a nice idea. Maybe it works better if you apply some of the reflection and shading shown in "B" to the white bulb.

I like "B" the most. Takes care of the hesitance of the white-on-white of "A." I might run some delicate black linework around the "Tiny" just to make it stand out? Maybe only partially?

"C" definitely stands out and the name of the site is unmistakable, but I don't like the face on the bulb. It looks like a receptacle, which is an electrical theme, but nothing would be plugging into a delicate glass bulb.

"D" might have promise, since either the text or logo could have standalone marketing potential - but I'm not a fan of either font. It's truly subjective, but the "lightbulbs" font in particular is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Good first showing all around.
SuperCachetes is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Fredmania
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input so far! On a related note, how can I make this into an actual poll?
Fredmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 01:11 PM   #6
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Just my thoughts - not sure what the website is about, but the first thing that struck me is the title is tiny lightbulbs, yet most of the logo's feature one big lightbulb. Not sure that fits to be honest, although the idea using the filament to spell 'tiny' is an original thought.

I don't like any of the fonts that much either - the first few have a slight military theme, which I suspect is not what is intended. Perhaps the logo should be head and shoulders with lots of little tiny light bulbs above it ? Maybe that is a bit cliche though. Anyway what do I know - I am not a professional logo designer.

Last edited by James Craner; Feb 8, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
James Craner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 04:43 PM   #7
vigorblade
macrumors member

Needs work

Conceptually, I see what you are trying to do with the filament spelling out "Tiny", but it does not work well here.

If you take options A and B and shrink them down, the legibility of "Tiny" just does not hold up. Good logos should hold up even at smaller sizes and this does not do so well. The font choices also just do not feel right in any of the options, they just do not play well together with what you are trying to do.

James Craner, also made a good point about the light bulb graphic element not being...well, tiny.

You are working against yourself in that you want your filament spelling "Tiny" in the bulb, but to make the word somewhat legible when resized to smaller sizes you make the bulb big. You are trying to make oil and water play well together here.

Option C, is kinda fun, but the font selection does not work together and bulb is far from tiny.

Option D, although still, not the best font selections, it has potential. The font colors work for me. You made the bulb smaller which works, but you are still trying to force the filament spelling "Tiny" idea, you don't need it. Try to make the bulb simple, no faces, no filament spelling "Tiny", just a simple, clean little bulb. Try to make the bulb yellow and black like options B and C, but smaller and minus the face, filament, stuff.

Just some constructive crit from a designer, not bashing your work. Keep working on it.

Have a good one !
vigorblade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 04:51 PM   #8
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

A without a doubt, and try a new font for "Lightbulb"... Otherwise a really nice concept.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:09 AM   #9
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a

last one!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

The last one is too busy. Too many fonts, too much variation in size. The first three hold up better conceptually and in execution. I kinda like the happy bulb; it's certainly memorable, but does it convey the right image for the business?

The heavier typefaces might be more legible, especially at a smaller scale (think letterhead). Maybe not... I dunno, you'll have to reduce and see what looks better.

You should explore at all your options in black and white, and I think some design choices will become apparent/necessary.

Good work so far – keep refining and messing around. A good designer will literally go through hundreds of iterations before finally settling on the one that feels best!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:51 PM   #11
icanboogie
macrumors regular

if you want to stick to the idea of having the word "tiny" as the wire, I would enlarge it, like in the quick sketch attached (better make it even bigger)

The tiny-ness could be visualized by a gigantic hand or so.

but keep in mind that a too picturesque signet might not always work as well as a "word-only" logo.

nonetheless, my fav would be C) from above, but with other typo and a much smaller bulb. (maybe as the dot on an "i"?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2012-02-13 um 21.47.05.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	324248  

Last edited by icanboogie; Feb 13, 2012 at 02:59 PM.
icanboogie is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:03 PM   #12
molala
macrumors 6502a

Great logos! I like the closeup of the lightbulb in the last logo and just put 'lightbulbs' underneath. like the previous post.

Love the idea of 'tiny' as filament.
molala is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:36 AM   #13
phogphan
macrumors newbie

I think you have some decent original logo ideas, but they still need a bit of work to feel complete. Im really not loving the font on any of them them, keep working on these concepts and you will find a solution. I think the first and the last examples are your best bet for tweaking.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:39 PM   #14
radug
macrumors member

D

option D, but lose the i-just-discovered-dafont.com font from "lightbulbs". also, simplify and finish the lightbulb drawing like others suggested.
but a very good start. option D has a good colour scheme.

Last edited by radug; Feb 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
radug is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:46 PM   #15
sevenbe8
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredmania View Post
Thanks for your input so far! On a related note, how can I make this into an actual poll?
You can use doodle to create simple polls or even a bit more sophisticated ones
free of charge. When you get to the site it talks more about scheduling but when you create a poll there is the option to have 'opinions' rather than scheduling an event as such. Hope this helps!

As for the logo - who is it for? What does the company do? Who is their target market?
Blog: ukbrandstrategy.com | Loves: my phone stand | Wants: the new macbook pro
sevenbe8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:34 AM   #16
ktbubster
macrumors 6502a

Option A but in the layout of the last one. Also yes,like everyone else said... Enlarge the word tiny. Also with a larger "filament" it gives the impression that the lightbulb itself is tinier sorta,as far as proportions go.
ktbubster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 08:59 AM   #17
YESimBLUNTED
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigorblade View Post
Conceptually, I see what you are trying to do with the filament spelling out "Tiny", but it does not work well here.
This.

When scaling down you will lose the word Tiny. Font choices need work as well.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:15 AM   #18
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Rules to follow for a good logo:
- make sure it works in pure black and white (not grayscale)
- make sure it can be read and recognized even if it's tiny*

* As a good exemple, you can easily recognize the Apple logo even in its tiny 16x16 pixels favicon format in the URL bar.

If your logo needs to be half the width of my display to be read, there is a problem.
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:11 PM   #19
Xcallibur
macrumors 6502a

What did you end up deciding upon then?
32GB iPod Touch (3G)
Xcallibur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:50 AM   #20
MarximusMG
macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

We were having this friend help us out with the logo and took some of the ideas he had, as well as those that were given here, tweaked them, and have finalized things. I appreciate all of the input that everyone gave. Obviously, not every suggested change was implemented, but we're very happy with the final result. For those of you wanting to see the final product, you can check it out on the site: http://www.tinylightbulbs.com
Old Apr 2, 2012, 02:56 PM   #21
JGowan
macrumors 68000

Ultimately, you made the right choice.

Last edited by JGowan; Apr 3, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
JGowan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:26 AM   #22
Refugeek
macrumors newbie

I like the end result somewhat, but I think you'd benefit from organizing a redesign contest on a site like Crowdspring.
Especially the big version could use a little polish imo...

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics