Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I got Trine last night, and today I plugged in my X360 wired controller.

The drivers are installed from tattie bogle, I can test the controller in system prefs and everything works. It works in other games.

In trine all I can do with the gamepad is move up down left right, none of the other button presses do anything, clicking the analogue sticks brings up the pause menu too which is odd. Is the in game configuration broken? I can't seem to change any of the settings to match the button they should. This means that I can't even get passed the tutorial as the first character can't use the grappling hook no matter what button I press.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

EDIT:

Been trying it again and it seems that the configuration is just not working, when it asks me to press a button on the gamepad it does nothing, but the prompt on the screen also tells me what the mouse and keyboard control is even though I have gamepad selected.

I am playing this from my couch so using a mouse is pretty much a no go.

Last edited:

JoelFB

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Finland
Trine should work fine with the Xbox 360 Controller with those drivers. It's probably the messy user interface that is causing the trouble - check our gamepad guide (it's for Windows but most of it applies to the Mac too). Basically choose a Custom config 1 for Gamepad and then try again, and make sure to check the Axes page.

I hope this helps. :) (I may not find/remember this thread again tomorrow so if the trouble continues feel free to get in touch by email.)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine & Trine 2

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
just got it! 99 cents!

but tattie bogle doesnt support my Afterglow xbox controller :(

Last edited:

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Trine should work fine with the Xbox 360 Controller with those drivers. It's probably the messy user interface that is causing the trouble - check our gamepad guide (it's for Windows but most of it applies to the Mac too). Basically choose a Custom config 1 for Gamepad and then try again, and make sure to check the Axes page.

I hope this helps. :) (I may not find/remember this thread again tomorrow so if the trouble continues feel free to get in touch by email.)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine & Trine 2

Thanks I will try that when I get home, basically I have to choose all the buttons myself rather than use the configs that are already in the game?

With default gamepad settings the only buttons that work are left stick for moevement and the D pad for some reason performs actions that the ABXY buttons should.

Thanks for the fast response anyway!

JoelFB

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Finland
Well yes the game should actually work out of the box with the controller... what version of the game is it? 1.11 is the latest, should be displayed in the main menu bottom-right corner.

Also check that the drivers are the latest ones too.

And perhaps might be worth to re-download the game to make sure there's no data corruption going on. The control configuration files are probably in the profiles/default/ folder.

And finally, you could delete the ~/Library/Trine/ folder (it also includes save games though so be careful).

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Well yes the game should actually work out of the box with the controller... what version of the game is it? 1.11 is the latest, should be displayed in the main menu bottom-right corner.

Also check that the drivers are the latest ones too.

And perhaps might be worth to re-download the game to make sure there's no data corruption going on. The control configuration files are probably in the profiles/default/ folder.

And finally, you could delete the ~/Library/Trine/ folder (it also includes save games though so be careful).

Thanks again, I will try all of this tonight and report back!

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I deleted everything and reinstalled and it was still completely wonky.

I ended up just mapping my own controls to the gamepad, the only problem now is that the trigger buttons don't allow you to map them.

That wasn't a big issue as I managed to map everything anyway, the game is awesome, thanks for the advice, as soon as I finish this I will invest in Trine2, I almost feel bad for only paying 69p for this game!

JoelFB

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Finland
Hmm, right, I guess we should just be happy that you got it figured out the hard way. The gamepad stuff in Trine 1 isn't bulletproof so things can go wrong sometimes... Trine 2 has a new system for it all so it should go without a hitch, and I hope you enjoy both games. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.