Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:47 PM   #1
kawasakirider
macrumors regular

Absinthe "The URL cannot be shown"

Hey everyone, I'm trying to JB my new 4S with absinth. I have tried both versions of absinth, 4 and 3, same issue. Here's what happens:

I run the program and wait until it tells me to unlock it and hit the absinth app, which I do and then I get the "Wait for absinthe to complete..." page.
After around 30 seconds, it says "Didn't work? Try this: 1. Tap 'Jailbreak' to open the Settings Application and turn on the VPN named 'Jailbreak'.
I tap the big green glowing "Jailbreak" button below it, and it gives an error popup:
"Cannot Open Absinthe. Absinthe could not be opened. The error was "The URL can't be shown".
It offers "Close" and "Retry". Retry repeats the error over and over again, and Close closes the app.

OK. So I close the app, and go to the Settings myself.

VPN = OFF so I try to swipe it to "on" and it says connecting for a while, then it says "VPN Connection - a configuration error occurred".

Anyone have any ideas? It's really annoying me.

Cheers!
kawasakirider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2
kawasakirider
macrumors regular

Just went into Settings > General > Network and saw Jailbreak in the VPN thing, I still can't get it to work.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3
boshii
macrumors 68030

You have to keep trying to turn on the VPN, even after getting errors. The phone will crash and Cydia will be on your springboard.
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4
kawasakirider
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
You have to keep trying to turn on the VPN, even after getting errors. The phone will crash and Cydia will be on your springboard.
I just updated iTunes and was told to get rid of the passcode lock (it didn't tell me to do this the first few times I tried it) then I went to JB it and got to the "Cannot Open Absinthe. Absinthe could not be opened. The error was "The URL can't be shown".

But as soon as I hit the big green jailbreak this time, the phone reset and Cydia was there. I just needed to update iTunes. I dunno why?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakirider View Post
I just updated iTunes and was told to get rid of the passcode lock (it didn't tell me to do this the first few times I tried it) then I went to JB it and got to the "Cannot Open Absinthe. Absinthe could not be opened. The error was "The URL can't be shown".

But as soon as I hit the big green jailbreak this time, the phone reset and Cydia was there. I just needed to update iTunes. I dunno why?
Update itunes so you can get the correct drivers and also get rid of the passcode lock. That's a given.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:57 PM   #6
kawasakirider
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Update itunes so you can get the correct drivers and also get rid of the passcode lock. That's a given.
What will happen if I try to set a pass code?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
What will happen if I try to set a pass code?
I think the JB will give you probs.
That's what I read so I removed the passcode lock, JB the phone and once done put the passcode back.
Why risk it if they tell you to leave it off.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:10 PM   #8
kawasakirider
macrumors regular

Quote:
I think the JB will give you probs.
That's what I read so I removed the passcode lock, JB the phone and once done put the passcode back.
Why risk it if they tell you to leave it off.
I did delete the passcode before I JB the phone. Are you saying now it's Jailbroken, I can put the passcode lock back on?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
I did delete the passcode before I JB the phone. Are you saying now it's Jailbroken, I can put the passcode lock back on?
Yes, you're good.
After you're JB and installed cydia you can put it back on.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:39 PM   #10
kawasakirider
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes, you're good.
After you're JB and installed cydia you can put it back on.
Thanks! I thought this JB wouldn't work with a passcode lock at all. Didn't realise it was just during the installation.
kawasakirider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:43 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks! I thought this JB wouldn't work with a passcode lock at all. Didn't realise it was just during the installation.
Welcome bro.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks