Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Jare
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
iOS 6 Concept

As seen originally on: Mod-Gadget

It's me again, this time with a much more realistic iOS 6 Concept I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Please use this thread from now on as the old thread should be closed and a Cydia tweak will be coming soon. I based this off of what would be a logical step forward for Apple to go with iOS without looking too much like competitors as well as bringing in some much needed features.

Coming Soon:

- New Lockscreen
- Home Screen with "live" icons
- Improved Widget UI in Dashboard
- Spotlight demo image
- improved graphics
- 2 new secret concepts

So let's get started. First of all, something that needs to go.. Spotlight. I know there are a ton of you using it but it can be much improved, which I will display below.

Notification Center



Spotlight

First of I've added Spotlight directly into notification center. When tapping on the search bar the screen goes black, the spotlight bar turns white and you're able to type in just like the old UI was. All of this in notification center.


Status Bar Icons

Yes, that's right.. status bar icons. This helps us visually see that notification center has new alerts, in case we've already dismissed our lock screen notifications.

Status Bar Icons display on the homescreen, lock screen and in notification center. Anywhere the status bar can be displayed, you'll see your notifications.

-----------------------------------------------

Dashboard



Instead of the old Spotlight page, when swiping to the left of your homescreen you'll see a new screen called Dashboard.


REAL Widgets

Live information at your finger tips. This page is scrollable, allowing you to have as many widgets as you'd like. Of course not all of the widgets that would be available would look like above, those are only demonstrations. Facebook Messages, New Tweets, Current Music, Settings Toggles, Photo Gallery, New Emails and SMS with quick reply. These all can fit here in one section.

DASHBOARD IS OPTIONAL. You can turn off Dashboard completely under Settings -> General -> Dashboard -> Toggle Disable.
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit

Last edited by Jare; Feb 28, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Jare is offline   23
Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:58 AM   #2
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God
 
AustinIllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austin, TX
I really like the concept of a dashboard, but I also like being able to hit the home button and start typing for search. However, with the advancement in voice recognition technology, the less simple searching mechanism seems logical.
__________________
Victory ILLINOIS Varsity!
Early 2011 13" MBP iPad Mini Retina 32 GB Google Nexus 5
AustinIllini is online now   1
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:09 AM   #3
ASKendrew
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
I really like the status bar icons idea. Keep up the good work, looks great.
__________________
www.adamkendrew.co.uk
ASKendrew is offline   1
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:27 AM   #4
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God
 
ChristianJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 日本
Looks nice; I hardly ever use the search page; your dashboard could make it more useful for me.

Where should the widgets come from ? I guess AppStore ? or HTML5/JS ?

BTW: You better answer your mails and messages ...
__________________
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app

Last edited by ChristianJapan; Feb 9, 2012 at 07:38 AM.
ChristianJapan is offline   4
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:33 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I like the look of it. Like ChristianJapan, I don't use the search enough either.
GoCubsGo is offline   2
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:45 AM   #6
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000
 
Kyotoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Carnegie and Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
[...]Where should he widgets come from ? I guess AppStore ? or HTML5/JS ?[...]
I would think that they would either be bundled with an existing App, meaning you can toggle it on or off as you install it and also establish the order in which they are displayed just like the notification center right now. Another option for standalone widgets(say you don't want the App icon to clutter your Springboard) would be to give them their own section within the App store.

I also see Widgets just being a future developer API, perhaps released in iOS 6 or a later iOS 5.x version.

To go along with the idea that some App icons, while being helpful, just make the Springboard look cluttered. I think Apple, while minding intellectual property rights and such, should be able to again take a leaf from Android's book and give iOS the ability to hide App icons without uninstalling the App. This app would still function normally, and would still be searchable within Spotlight Search. Another thing they could take from Android that would play into this idea would be the App drawer. This would be the master App list, being sort-able, searchable, and having the ability to be broken down into categories much like the App Store is today.

Also, make the Springboard a static grid instead of a stack, where you can place your icons where you want on the Springboard. I know this is already doable within the Jailbreak community, but I believe that it is time for Apple to bring this feature to the stock iOS.
__________________
Black 4GB 2nd Gen iPod Nano, Black 30GB 5th Gen 'Video' iPod Classic, White 16 GB iPhone 3GS, White 16GB iPhone 4(GSM AT&T), Black 16GB iPhone 5(A1429), 32GB 1st Gen iPad WiFi, 16GB 2nd Gen Nexus 7
Kyotoma is offline   2
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:46 AM   #7
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
I like these concepts. Good job
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   5
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Jare
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
I would think that they would either be bundled with an existing App, meaning you can toggle it on or off as you install it and also establish the order in which they are displayed just like the notification center right now. Another option for standalone widgets(say you don't want the App icon to clutter your Springboard) would be to give them their own section within the App store.

I also see Widgets just being a future developer API, perhaps released in iOS 6 or a later iOS 5.x version.

To go along with the idea that some App icons, while being helpful, just make the Springboard look cluttered. I think Apple, while minding intellectual property rights and such, should be able to again take a leaf from Android's book and give iOS the ability to hide App icons without uninstalling the App. This app would still function normally, and would still be searchable within Spotlight Search. Another thing they could take from Android that would play into this idea would be the App drawer. This would be the master App list, being sort-able, searchable, and having the ability to be broken down into categories much like the App Store is today.

Also, make the Springboard a static grid instead of a stack, where you can place your icons where you want on the Springboard. I know this is already doable within the Jailbreak community, but I believe that it is time for Apple to bring this feature to the stock iOS.
It's funny you mention those, when in my old thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1313988 I got bashed by a good chunk of the readers for doing what you mentioned.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
Where should the widgets come from ? I guess AppStore ? or HTML5/JS ?

BTW: You better answer your mails and messages ...
Built into the apps as you download them and optional, of course.

And to your BTW:
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit
Jare is offline   1
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000
 
Kyotoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Carnegie and Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
It's funny you mention those, when in my old thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1313988 I got bashed by a good chunk of the readers for doing what you mentioned.
Someone has to have a bad idea some time. I don't believe that's what I have brought up, but hey, everyone has an opinion.
__________________
Black 4GB 2nd Gen iPod Nano, Black 30GB 5th Gen 'Video' iPod Classic, White 16 GB iPhone 3GS, White 16GB iPhone 4(GSM AT&T), Black 16GB iPhone 5(A1429), 32GB 1st Gen iPad WiFi, 16GB 2nd Gen Nexus 7
Kyotoma is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Jare
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
Someone has to have a bad idea some time. I don't believe that's what I have brought up, but hey, everyone has an opinion.
Well the app drawer, etc.
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit
Jare is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000
 
Kyotoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Carnegie and Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Well the app drawer, etc.
You think those are bad ideas?
__________________
Black 4GB 2nd Gen iPod Nano, Black 30GB 5th Gen 'Video' iPod Classic, White 16 GB iPhone 3GS, White 16GB iPhone 4(GSM AT&T), Black 16GB iPhone 5(A1429), 32GB 1st Gen iPad WiFi, 16GB 2nd Gen Nexus 7
Kyotoma is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:03 AM   #12
Jare
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
You think those are bad ideas?
No I mean when you mentioned the app drawer idea, I had already had a concept done for it in which the number one complaint was "it adds another tap which is super exhausting for my finger". In my old thread which I linked.
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit

Last edited by Jare; Feb 9, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Jare is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Samskeyti
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Widgets to the left is pretty ideal. Any chance you could do a mockup with some graphical tweaks? UI is starting to look stale and it could really use some simple changes to make it "pop out".

Take for example the header we're so used to...

And give it a sharper look, like...


It's a small change I'd really welcome.
Samskeyti is offline   -6
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Jare
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samskeyti View Post
Widgets to the left is pretty ideal. Any chance you could do a mockup with some graphical tweaks? UI is starting to look stale and it could really use some simple changes to make it "pop out".

Take for example the header we're so used to...
Image
And give it a sharper look, like...
Image

It's a small change I'd really welcome.
Yup, my actual goal here is to completely modernize iOS in my own way. I want to try every last detail I can and pump my idea's out for others to view and comment on. Of course the majority of them will turn into Cydia tweaks/themes.
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit
Jare is offline   1
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:34 AM   #15
Samskeyti
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
Yup, my actual goal here is to completely modernize iOS in my own way. I want to try every last detail I can and pump my idea's out for others to view and comment on. Of course the majority of them will turn into Cydia tweaks/themes.
Excited to see what you come up with!
Samskeyti is offline   1
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:34 AM   #16
Jare
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samskeyti View Post
Excited to see what you come up with!
Thanks, I look forward to sharing as always.
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit
Jare is offline   1
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:42 AM   #17
dtbratt
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stoney Creek, ON
Love the dashboard idea!
__________________
dtbratt is offline   3
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:09 AM   #18
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040
 
Mad Mac Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
No I mean when you mentioned the app drawer idea, I had already had a concept done for it in which the number one complaint was "it adds another tap which is super exhausting for my finger". In my old thread which I linked.
What Kyotoma is suggesting is quite a bit different than your other idea. He's basically saying hide all the icons that you don't use, but still being able to search for them or have some comprehensive list of your apps that you can still access them if you need them. Your previous concept has only 7 apps on your springboard with all of the rest hidden in the launchpad.

So to contrast, in his concept majority of your apps are in your springboard, you maintain your grid of 20 apps per page, but you have the option to disable Apple apps, widget apps, and very rare use-case apps, while still maintaining an ability to find them if needed. The way I understood your old concept was 7 apps +1 widget on your springboard, then all the rest of your apps are embedded within launchpad.

But as for your new concept. So far it seems pretty good. I think the status bar icons are the the biggest difficulty so far. On my iPhone I use battery percentage, bluetooth, orientation lock, and alarms set... It's already full. Every time I use GPS I lose battery percentage because there is no room. Then typically I have notifications from at least 3 various apps at any given time. I think it would need to be an icon which just signifies "Notifications!" and maybe even a small number to idicate how many notifications you have.
__________________
Now I have a Signature!
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   2
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Jare
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
But as for your new concept. So far it seems pretty good. I think the status bar icons are the the biggest difficulty so far. On my iPhone I use battery percentage, bluetooth, orientation lock, and alarms set... It's already full. Every time I use GPS I lose battery percentage because there is no room. Then typically I have notifications from at least 3 various apps at any given time. I think it would need to be an icon which just signifies "Notifications!" and maybe even a small number to idicate how many notifications you have.
I think a solution to this could be removing the carrier name and re-arranging the status bar so that all of your "notifications" end up on one side, and "system images" on the other, including time. Sort of how OS X has it set up but without the menu/finder inside of the menu bar. Having notifications on that side could work.
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit
Jare is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:20 AM   #20
Vook
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Merica
Thats awesome, you have skills..........
__________________
I know a thing or two about a thing or two.
Vook is offline   2
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Jare
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vook View Post
Thats awesome, you have skills..........
Thanks.
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit
Jare is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2012, 05:29 PM   #22
Bajaz001
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Ok, but where is initial launchpad from old thread? I hate so much icons on home screen it's so stopid and useless. I have iPhone 4s, and before i had iPhone 4, but iOS is such bad OS (not tehnical side), so limited and gives no information like Android or WP (although iOS 5 with notification center improves this a bit). Perfect combination for me would be Apple iPhone (4/4S) + WP7.x

Support for project
__________________
iPhone 4S pure Black + Bugatti iPhone case
Bajaz001 is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2012, 05:34 PM   #23
ombrenelcielo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Someone must have picked up a symbian phone lately.
Please: forwards not backwards!
ombrenelcielo is offline   -2
Old Feb 9, 2012, 05:50 PM   #24
Jare
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Jare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajaz001 View Post
Ok, but where is initial launchpad from old thread? I hate so much icons on home screen it's so stopid and useless. I have iPhone 4s, and before i had iPhone 4, but iOS is such bad OS (not tehnical side), so limited and gives no information like Android or WP (although iOS 5 with notification center improves this a bit). Perfect combination for me would be Apple iPhone (4/4S) + WP7.x

Support for project
That concept is becoming an actual Cydia tweak. This is more for a "logical" forward thinking concept on what iOS 6 will "probably" look like.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombrenelcielo View Post
Someone must have picked up a symbian phone lately.
Please: forwards not backwards!
Is it weird that I've never actually seen or used a Symbian device, just heard the name?
__________________
"Feels like I'm wearing NOTHING AT ALL!" - Stupid Sexy Flanders
iOS, OS X & Android Developer
13" MacBook Air, Space Grey iPhone 5S, Moto X, Google Glass Explorers Kit
Jare is offline   0
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:38 PM   #25
lordofthereef
macrumors 603
 
lordofthereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boston, MA
May have already been said (and I am not reading through the posts), but this looks a LOT like Intelliscreen X, only a bit more minimalistic.
lordofthereef is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best iOS 8 concept I've seen so far! jordancrombie92 iOS 7 1 Apr 25, 2014 11:13 AM
My iOS Concept I posted in March compared to iOS 7 Beta 1 ajvizzgamer101 iOS 7 13 Jun 15, 2013 06:20 AM
iDocuments Concept (iOS 7) djtech42 iOS 6 39 May 25, 2013 09:49 AM
iOS 7 - Shortcuts Concept... FSMBP iOS 7 26 May 11, 2013 11:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC