How to Switch an iPhone from Verizon to AT&T - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:42 AM   #1
epirnik
macrumors newbie

How to Switch an iPhone from Verizon to AT&T

Hello,

This is my first time posting. Hope someone might be able to offer some insights into what I think is a simple question.

I received an old iPhone 4 from a family member who had lost theres, purchased a new one, and then found the old phone about a month later.

This old phone was on the Verizon network however, I am an AT&T customer.

Can someone tell me what the process would be to switch the phone from Verizon service to my AT&T account? Is this something I can do on my own or do I have to go into an Apple Store and may a small fee?

Many thanks,
-Ed
epirnik is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:44 AM   #2
braddick
macrumors 68030

I think the only way is to sell the Verizon iPhone and purchase an AT&T with the proceeds.
Verizon iPhones can also be flashed with Cricket.
braddick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3
epirnik
macrumors newbie

Switching Phones

So the phones have inherent programming or hardware that is specific to the service provider? Sheesh, that just sounds silly (not doubting you, just think it's rather obtuse). I would have thought that the phone funtioned like any other piece of hardware - and that either ATT or Verizon could be used with it.

Cheers,

E
epirnik is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirnik View Post
So the phones have inherent programming or hardware that is specific to the service provider? Sheesh, that just sounds silly (not doubting you, just think it's rather obtuse). I would have thought that the phone funtioned like any other piece of hardware - and that either ATT or Verizon could be used with it.

Cheers,

E
iPhone 4 had either specific GSM celluar transceiver (for ATT) or a CDMA cellular transceiver (for Verizon). The hardware circuits are different and specific in each. When iPhone 4 was originally created, it was ATT only, GSM was all that was necessary.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000

You can transfer a GSM/ATT iPhone4 to TMobile, but due to frequency compatibility limitations, you'll be restricted to EDGE.

The iPhone 4S has a cellular transceiver that can do both GSM and CDMA and more frequency bands, and can in theory jump carriers. This is a relatively new capability in general, market-wide.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Cheers,

E
Even if the iPhone 4 could theoretically do this(the iPhone 4S definitely can), each US carrier(and some but not all foreign carriers) reserves their right to lock the iPhone that they sell to their network and their network only.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816

To my knowledge, even though the *hardware* on the Verizon iPhone 4S is capable of communicating with CDMA2000 (Verizon) and UMTS networks (AT&T)....

The radio firmware loaded onto the Verizon variant does not. I am not 100% certain of this, but I think it would take more than a simple carrier unlock. You should check the jailbreaking forums for better information.
Tarzanman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:

Cheers,

E
It's like asking if the DSL modem your uncle gave you could be used with your Comcast cable internet. Sure, to the end user, it has the same functionality, but the inherent tech behind it is different.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:48 AM   #8
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
So the phones have inherent programming or hardware that is specific to the service provider?
Specs can always be found at:
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP587

Note that the GSM and CDMA versions support different network techs and different bands.

Quote:
Sheesh, that just sounds silly (not doubting you, just think it's rather obtuse). I would have thought that the phone funtioned like any other piece of hardware - and that either ATT or Verizon could be used with it.
Assuming that "any piece of hardware" works on both carriers is silly. Some devices support both carriers, some do not. Specs are always available from the manufacturers' sites. Do not operate on assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
To my knowledge, even though the *hardware* on the Verizon iPhone 4S is capable of communicating with CDMA2000 (Verizon) and UMTS networks (AT&T)....
OP is asking about the 4, not the 4s.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:43 PM   #9
cynics
macrumors 603

The 4s can do this but do to legal reasons is locked to Verizon's CDMA network. If it was purchased from an apple store and is unlocked then it might work.

Unfortunately the tech in the op's 4 does not support this so it won't work even if it was allowed by the network.

Only options are to sell it and get an AT&T iPhone like mentioned or even trade someone. Or switch to Verizon who has amazing coverage but has fairly slow 3G data speeds.

I have Verizon but if you are happy with AT&T data coverage in the area you use the phone I'd stick with them.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone