Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 13, 2005, 01:58 PM   #1
The_Man
macrumors 6502

What Does Airport Extreme/Express Do?

Can anyone help explain to me Airport Extreme and Airport Express and their functions?
The_Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 02:05 PM   #2
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/
rainman::|:| is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 02:09 PM   #3
The_Man
macrumors 6502

Thanks for that link! I had no idea to check APPLE.COM!

I obviously have already been to the apple website to look at the information on the product. I have previously read the description but I was just wondering if anyone could give me a more detailed description of what exactly it does and not just post a link to apple.com.
The_Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 02:12 PM   #4
strider42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theman2290
Thanks for that link! I had no idea to check APPLE.COM!

I obviously have already been to the apple website to look at the information on the product. I have previously read the description but I was just wondering if anyone could give me a more detailed description of what exactly it does and not just post a link to apple.com.
airport extreme is a wireless router. Airport express is a smaller form factor device that can be used as a wireless router, but lacks some features of the extreme model. it can also be used as a wireless range extender and for streaming music to a stereo wirelessly. In most cases, airport extreme is a complete ripoff, since if you look around you can get a wireless router for under 20 bucks after rebates. Airport express is best used for the music and wireless extender capabilities.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 02:42 PM   #5
broken_keyboard
Banned

It just saves you a few wires that's all...

Instead of running cables from your modem to your computer and from your computer to your other computers, you just buy one of these and it uses radio waves instead.
broken_keyboard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:16 PM   #6
mike423
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider42 View Post
airport extreme is a wireless router. Airport express is a smaller form factor device that can be used as a wireless router, but lacks some features of the extreme model. it can also be used as a wireless range extender and for streaming music to a stereo wirelessly. In most cases, airport extreme is a complete ripoff, since if you look around you can get a wireless router for under 20 bucks after rebates. Airport express is best used for the music and wireless extender capabilities.
When you say wireless extender you mean? like say I have a siemens router at home in living room, so the connection is little low...If I put the apple airport in my room will it connect to the siemens router and give me better network?
mike423 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:40 PM   #7
dXTC
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike423 View Post
When you say wireless extender you mean? like say I have a siemens router at home in living room, so the connection is little low...If I put the apple airport in my room will it connect to the siemens router and give me better network?
Precisely. This is done by setting the Airport Express in Bridge mode. The computer in your room connects with strong signal to the Airport Express, which relays that signal to the Siemens router, and back. The Siemens router remains the "main" router. Theoretically, this "router hop" cuts your throughput in half, but you'll most likely never notice in normal usage, especially if your Siemens router is Wi-Fi N speed.

At the same time, the Express can play back any iTunes library through its 1/8" stereo jack; this function is called AirTunes.

The Express has a USB port, but it's good only for connecting a printer. However, any networked computer will be able to connect to that printer. The Extreme's USB port, by contrast, will accept USB external hard drives as well as printers; it will also accept a powered USB hub for connecting multiple USB devices.

The 3 main things the Extreme can do that the Express can't:
  • Allow wired (Ethernet) clients-- it has three Gigabit Ethernet client ports, while the Express only allows wireless.
  • Allow USB hard drives or flash drives on its USB port.
  • Allow WiFi-G and WiFi-N devices on the same network, with all devices going top speed (called Simultaneous Dual Band).

The 2 things the Express can do that the Extreme can't:
  • Portability: Its compact size works well for business travelers who use it in hotels that provided only wired connections in rooms.
  • AirTunes (see above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider42 View Post
In most cases, airport extreme is a complete ripoff, since if you look around you can get a wireless router for under 20 bucks after rebates.
If you're looking for a barebones router, perhaps. However, if you have a mixed-client situation-- a WiFi-N iMac in Dad's office, Mom's older WiFi-G iPod touch, and a teenager who insists on Gigabit Ethernet for his water-cooled gaming rig, the Extreme is worth the money, because no connection slows down any other-- there is no WiFi speed fallback with Simultaneous Dual Band. Competing routers that can do this are-- guess what?-- right about the same price as the Extreme.

Last edited by dXTC; Sep 23, 2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: One other thing about the Express...
dXTC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:25 PM   #8
flopticalcube
macrumors G4

Note that most of this thread is 5years old so some of the comments should be read with that in mind.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:42 AM   #9
dXTC
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flopticalcube View Post
Note that most of this thread is 5years old so some of the comments should be read with that in mind.
Right. I only answered mike423's question, as it was posted yesterday. I decided to be more complete about my answer, as the advances in the Airport Extreme make it a considerably different (and IMHO better) value from its 2005 equivalent-- especially Simultaneous Dual Band, which wasn't available when strider42 made the "ripoff" comment.
dXTC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:14 AM   #10
mike423
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dXTC View Post
Precisely. This is done by setting the Airport Express in Bridge mode. The computer in your room connects with strong signal to the Airport Express, which relays that signal to the Siemens router, and back. The Siemens router remains the "main" router. Theoretically, this "router hop" cuts your throughput in half, but you'll most likely never notice in normal usage, especially if your Siemens router is Wi-Fi N speed.

At the same time, the Express can play back any iTunes library through its 1/8" stereo jack; this function is called AirTunes.

The Express has a USB port, but it's good only for connecting a printer. However, any networked computer will be able to connect to that printer. The Extreme's USB port, by contrast, will accept USB external hard drives as well as printers; it will also accept a powered USB hub for connecting multiple USB devices.

The 3 main things the Extreme can do that the Express can't:
  • Allow wired (Ethernet) clients-- it has three Gigabit Ethernet client ports, while the Express only allows wireless.
  • Allow USB hard drives or flash drives on its USB port.
  • Allow WiFi-G and WiFi-N devices on the same network, with all devices going top speed (called Simultaneous Dual Band).

The 2 things the Express can do that the Extreme can't:
  • Portability: Its compact size works well for business travelers who use it in hotels that provided only wired connections in rooms.
  • AirTunes (see above).

If you're looking for a barebones router, perhaps. However, if you have a mixed-client situation-- a WiFi-N iMac in Dad's office, Mom's older WiFi-G iPod touch, and a teenager who insists on Gigabit Ethernet for his water-cooled gaming rig, the Extreme is worth the money, because no connection slows down any other-- there is no WiFi speed fallback with Simultaneous Dual Band. Competing routers that can do this are-- guess what?-- right about the same price as the Extreme.
Thank s alot this helped alot too.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Loke2112
macrumors regular

Hey I'm bumping this old thread as I need some clarification. I have an Extreme and an Express )1st) gen and want to know for sure if I can extend the range of the express WITHOUT connecting visa ethernet. Someone mentioned bridge mode but I don't recall seeing that during set up but would be glad to redo in once Im sure it will do what I want. Otherwise I can connect via ethernet but would prefer not to.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Loke2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike423 View Post
Yes, pretty much.

I live in a house that is fairly big. The main Airport Extreme router is attached to cable on one side. That side gets good reception. The other side of the house used to get only 1-2 bars of weak WiFi reception. I solved the problem by placing a cheaper Airport Express on the weak-signal side of the house. Voila! The Airport Express acts like an "extender", it grabs the weak signal that the main airport is transmitting and magnifies it so that the area surrounding the Airport Express (used as an extender) will get strong 3-4 bar reception.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke2112 View Post
Hey I'm bumping this old thread as I need some clarification. I have an Extreme and an Express )1st) gen and want to know for sure if I can extend the range of the express WITHOUT connecting visa ethernet.
Your question is not clear. Do you want to use the Express to extend your Airport Extreme's range? Because that would be the natural thing to do. And yes, it is done via WiFi (not some physical ethernet cable).

If you are trying to accomplish something else…. not sure about it…
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2013, 07:09 AM   #13
Loke2112
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Yes, pretty much.

I live in a house that is fairly big. The main Airport Extreme router is attached to cable on one side. That side gets good reception. The other side of the house used to get only 1-2 bars of weak WiFi reception. I solved the problem by placing a cheaper Airport Express on the weak-signal side of the house. Voila! The Airport Express acts like an "extender", it grabs the weak signal that the main airport is transmitting and magnifies it so that the area surrounding the Airport Express (used as an extender) will get strong 3-4 bar reception.

----------

Your question is not clear. Do you want to use the Express to extend your Airport Extreme's range? Because that would be the natural thing to do. And yes, it is done via WiFi (not some physical ethernet cable).

If you are trying to accomplish something else…. not sure about it…
Sorry I see I typed visa instead of via... Thanks for your help. I ran some speed tests last night with and without it plugged in in the basement and there was an obvious jump. Please as punch thank you!
Loke2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help