Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekhyt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Part of the old MR guard.
With the iCloud interface for Find My iPhone, as well as the app on my iPhone itself, I am having trouble locating my MacBook Pro.

iPhone uses GPS to locate, but for my MacBook Pro, it always says 'offline' and is unable to physically locate the laptop. :|

Can anyone help?

tee-tz

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
Is your Mac is "ON", "CONNECTED" to a Wi-Fi network, and iCloud already setup under System Prefs?

Provided all the above have been done, and it still does not locate, there's a deeper problem. Make sure you have all the latest software updates.

However, if you mean your Mac won't come up when it's OFF/Sleep Mode or not connected to Wi-Fi, then naturally it won't be located as there's no way of sending/receiving a signal to the Macbook. In that case, you might need a way to remotely start/wake your Mac and make sure it's connected to Wi-Fi.

dgbowers

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
Alabama
In order for Find My Mac to work, you have to have OS X Lion, and you have to have Location services enabled from:
System Preferences>Security and Privacy>Privacy

If you have your laptop stolen, in order for Find My Mac to work, you have to have a guest account enabled, and allow that account to use safari, so that a network connection can be established. Basically the safest way to use your computer is to have an EFI password, an account password, automatic login disabled, and have the guest account active.

Does that all make sense? It does in my head....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.