Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninjaw95

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2011
is it posable anyway that i can activate a iphone on net 10

net10 has a reverse lock, the sim card is locked to the IMEI of the phone.
so you would need an unlocked iphone and somehow call them and activate the sim card with the iphone, i think it is possible but its different than using tmobile and stuff like that

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I have activated iphones with a net10 sim. You won't be able to use the sim for cell service.

ajw1275

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
i live in florida and they dont get that great coverage plus i text more and use the internet more than i talk

ajw1275

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
i was also looking at putting it on straight talk which would be a better service 4 the iphone

edmundo528

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
Net10

What phones can be used with Bring Your Own Phone progra

The "Bring Your Own Phone" BYOP program will work with any AT&T or T-Mobile compatible phone or an unlocked domestic GSM phone. The program does not support Blackberry phones, branded Straight Talk, NET10, TracFone, and Safelink branded phones. Please be informed that there are some features of the phone that may not work with the NET10 service.

tbando

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
What phones can be used with Bring Your Own Phone progra

The "Bring Your Own Phone" BYOP program will work with any AT&T or T-Mobile compatible phone or an unlocked domestic GSM phone. The program does not support Blackberry phones, branded Straight Talk, NET10, TracFone, and Safelink branded phones. Please be informed that there are some features of the phone that may not work with the NET10 service.

So, yes, this totally works. I have an iPhone 4s from AT&T that I'm using with a Net 10 BYOP card. Regular phone service worked from the get-go, but in order to activate the data plan I had to download a profile from http://www.unlockit.co.nz. All features on the phone are currently working, except for sending pictures over the messenger. Not bad for $45/month.

y2khardtop

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
I unlocked my iPhone 3gs using Redsn0w/ultrasn0w, and bought a sim card directly from Net10. It took some time for me to figure it out, but it works fine. $50/month for unlimited is much better than the $115 I was paying AT&T. The coverage isn't quite as good in my area, and the data is maybe 30% slower, but it works just fine. The only problem is that I don't think you have simultaneous data/phone like I did with AT&T. In other words, you can't talk and surf at the same time.

I'm saving enough on data this year to pay for my new iPad!

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
I unlocked my iPhone 3gs using Redsn0w/ultrasn0w, and bought a sim card directly from Net10. It took some time for me to figure it out, but it works fine. $50/month for unlimited is much better than the $115 I was paying AT&T. The coverage isn't quite as good in my area, and the data is maybe 30% slower, but it works just fine. The only problem is that I don't think you have simultaneous data/phone like I did with AT&T. In other words, you can't talk and surf at the same time.

I'm saving enough on data this year to pay for my new iPad!

u sure? talk and data at the same time is GSM so any GSM provider supports this

y2khardtop

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
no I'm not sure, and I likely have something set up wrong. I'm using an app called Tetherme to enable the network settings on my phone, and I don't know what to fill in some of the settings. The Net10 documentation doesn't have all the options that my phone gives me.

Bottom line, I'm happy with Net10 at the cost.

nightwing73

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
I also used tetherme to have access to the cellular data settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2283 This link shows what you will see

For those that aren't aware of the settings required for Net10 here they are:

• APN Name: NET10
• APN: att.mvno
• Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
• Port: 80
• MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
• MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
• MMS Port: 80

EDIT:
If you want to Enable MMS (and you have a jailbroken iPhone ) then install Tetherme from Cydia and you can go into the Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data Settings Menu and Edit them as below

Settings
Cellular Data
APN: att.mvno
Username:
Password:
MMS
APN: att.mvno
Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
MMS Max Size: 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL:

Update: MMS Proxy Fixed … I had the name not the IP Address for the MMS Proxy . people have said the Name not work and the IP Address works.. but I’ll leave it as the IP Address..
Note: If anyone wants to update this please let me know) – I am not in the USA but talking to many people this is how you do it :)
source: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

This method absolutely works. But you have to be Jailbroken. Also if you just use the Apple utility you will have web access and able to stream Pandora/iHeartRadio but Picture and Video texting will not be available.

Update2: Ok guys...I was able to use the Apple Configuration tool http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1466 as well to change APN settings. You also do not need a jailbreak to accomplish this. But upon further research and Net10 failing to ask or tell me this when I called I found that the sim card was never provisioned when they ported my number over. So please make sure to ask them if they provisioned the sim card otherwise it will not work for data. Hope this helps out in the future for you guys.

I was able to research and fix my own issue !

Last edited:

rahysell

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012
OHIO
Fully Unlock CDMA iPhone 4S With Gevey Ultra S

********Fully Unlock CDMA iPhone 4S With Gevey Ultra S***************
**INFO** I did not write this post, If you would like to see the original post, you can go to this page, I am just sharing this great post that these fellows have put together for us, This does work, for sure!
The original post also has video that you can watch, to help you through this grueling process.
Here are the links:
****(1)http://insanelyi.com/topic/10755-how-to-fully-unlock-cdma-iphone-4s-511-and-fix-mms-data-imessage-facetime-and-carrier-settings/******
***(2) http://www.idevcare.com/fully-unlock-cdma-iphone*****
Basically, before we start, let's understand what needs to be done. For a fully-functional iPhone 4s, we want talk, text, mms, data, and all the iOS specific features of a phone such as iMessage and FaceTime.

Now let's go over what tools you need as well as what knowledge. OBviously you'll need a computer, and on that computer you'll need to install 3 new programs. First we need absinthe 2.0.4 to jailbreak the iPhone, download it HERE

Next is i-Funbox which can be downloaded from HERE

Next we need a Hex Editor. I Prefer HxD, which can be downloaded HERE

And of course youre going to need a Gevey Ultra S. Make sure it's CDMA compatible. I sell them here.

NOTE: Most of the steps can cause system instability and force you to restore your iphone and start over. So read, re-read, and re-re-read this tutorial until you have it memorized.

START!

-Section I- Jailbreaking

1.Connect your iPhone and open up iTunes.

2.Right click your iPhone in the sidebar and hit Backup.

3.After your iPhone's backed up, restore it.

4.Once it finishes, dont do anything on the phone yet, it will say iPhone has been activated on CDMA network (if you don't have the original SIM card) in iTunes.

5.Click OK, then register your iPhone.

6.Click Set up as new iPhone and choose not to sync apps or contact data. Wait for it to finish syncing. (Helpful tip: Deselect Open iTunes when this device connects while you're at it.

7.Close iTunes and open up absinthe 2.0.4.

8.You might have to unplug and plug your iPhone back in for it to read.

9.Click Jailbreak.

Wait until it says "Done! Enjoy."

You have officially jailbroken your iPhone 4s.

10.Restore your iPhone using the Backup you made earlier.

-Section II- Unlocking

1.On your iPhone, open up Cydia and wait while it rearranges the filesystem.

2.After it resprings, open Cydia again, click Developer, ok. Click the Manage tab.

3.Click Sources, Edit, Add, and add this repository (http://www.cydia.furiousmod.com), click add source.

4.Within that repository, find Furi0usMod-iPhone4s that says iOS 5.1.1 under it.

5.Click install, then continue queuing.

6.Also add to the install list: OpenSSH and Link identity editor (can be found under Development Section)

7.Install them all. Close out of Cydia when they finish installing.

8.Place the White Reset sim ontop of your Gevey Ultra S and insert them both into your iPhone. (Verizon iPhone users place your unofficial sim card on top of the Gevey, as this step is unnecessary)

(Update) In some cases, for Verizon, you might have to do this step anyway. It might not read the sim you want to use and the Gevey.Or an error could occur later in the process. Don't worry, it's reversable. Insert it both the White Reset Sim and the Gevey together in the iPhone.

9.Reboot your iphone. A list will show up, click the carrier your Phone is locked to.

(Update) After you click your carrier, you have 15 seconds to put your unnofficial sim in. Or you will have to start over again.

10.Remove the Gevey and replace the White sim with your unnofficial sim (Sim that you want to use). Reboot iPhone again.

11.Wait until a popup appears saying you have successfully unlocked with Gevey. It will have a 6-digit register code. Write this code down.

12.Open up Furi0usMod, input your code and hit register. Turn both items on if they are not. Reboot once more.

13.The same "Success" screen from earlier will pop up 3-4 more times. just keep hitting accept. After a bit, your unofficial carrier name should pop up on the left of the status bar.

You have officially unlocked your iPhone 4s.

NOTE: Some of you may be satisfied with your iPhone at this point, but iMessage and FaceTime will not work. MMS and Data APNs also need fixed. The voicemail button in the phone app will not work, and all the carrier settings will be messed up if you live in the US. To fix this, we need to edit certain carrier setting files, which CommCenter will reject because their Signatures will no longer be valid. So now we need to patch CommCenter to accept unsigned carrier bundles.

-Section III- CommCenter

1.Plug your iPhone in and open up i-Funbox.

2.Click Raw Filesystem and navigate to /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/CommCenter

3.Copy this file to a folder or your desktop.

4.Open CommCenter in HxD,

5.Navigate to offset 000A9C00. look for 30 46. Change it to 01 20. Save the file.

(Update) In some cases, 30 46 could be found on offset 000A9C10.

6.Replace the CommCenter File on you iPhone with the modified one. DO NOT REBOOT.

EDIT: Delete the original, THEN place the modified CommCenter on your phone.

7.Click SSH Terminal under USER's iPhone | iPhone 4S (5.1.1)

8.Type ldid -s /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/CommCenter. Click Enter.

(Update) The first letter is not a capital i in ldid. It's a lower case L. LDID (lower case please).

9.Type chmod +x /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreTelephony.framework/Support/CommCenter. Click Enter.

10.Click on USER's iPhone | iPhone 4S (5.1.1) and then Device Safe Eject. After it Disconnects, Reboot your iPhone. If it reboots properly, congratulations, you have successfully patched CommCenter.

If it doesn't, your only option is to put it in DFU mode and restore.

NOTE: The last two steps, if done properly, can all be done at once before rebooting.

-Section IV- FaceTime/iMessage

You will either need to 'obtain' iFile from cydia, or download a plist editor for your computer. This depicts the iFile route.

NOTE:If you live in the United States, and don't have international texting, use the number +28818773 in place of all +011447786205094 numbers in this section

1.Open iFile on your iPhone. Navigate to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/00101/carrier.plist.

2.Make a backup of this file (as well as all others we edit).

3.Open the file in property list viewer.

4.Find PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress, and set it to: +011447786205094.

5.Find RedialOnRRCConnectionFailure and Change it to ON.

6.Save the file.

7.Go back to carrier bundles and find Unknown.bundle/carrier.plist.

8.Open the file in property list viewer.

9.Find PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress, and set all 10 sets of numbers to +011447786205094.

10.Save the file.

11.Open the carrier bundle your iPhone is locked to (this can be found by opening the settings app, going to General, About, and looking at the Carrier). It's always good to look. You don't want to be in the wrong bundle. Wasting your time.

12.Open the carrier.plist file in that bundle in property list viewer.

13.Find PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress, and set it to +011447786205094.

14.Click the plus in the bottom right of the screen.

15Type RedialOnRRCConnectionFailure. Make sure the Type is Boolean. Click Create. Switch it to ON.

16.Click Done.

17.You can reboot now or continue to Section V without rebooting.

18.After you reboot, switch FaceTime and iMessage off then on and they should activate.

-Section V- Misc. Fixes and Cosmetics

1.Open iFile and navigate to the carrier bundle your phone is locked to.

2.Open the carrier.plist file in property list viewer.

3.Tap apns. 0: is your Data APN. 1: is your MMS APN. Change these to match your SIM carriers recommended APNs, and find your carriers correct MMS settings while you're at it.

NOTE: Those using this unlock for T-Mobile US, I will have all the correct settings at the end.

(Update) Will have Simple-Mobile as well.

4.Change CarrierName to your carrier's name. (Or it can be whatever you want. This will not be in the top left corner. Only in the About section).

5.Tap MMS. Change these settings to match your SIM carriers recommended MMS settings.

(Update) Please do not add commas. If you see a comma, delete it. Usually, anything after a comma here, will disappear after saving. Thus, leaving you with an incorrect value.

(UPDATE) You need to add MMS UA Prof URL. By doing this, add another string. Tap the + button on the bottom right corner. Name it UAProf. (case sensitive). Make sure the type is a string. Tap create. Open it, input this: . Important.

6.MyAccountURL and MyAccountURLTitle Show up under Phone/Services in the settings app. Change MyAccountURL to the web address you use to sign in to your carriers account. Change MyAccountURLTitle to something like Carrier MyAccount. (These can be anything you want, the URL could be facebook if you want it to).

7.Tap Services. Change each dictionary to a number code you use to e.g. check minutes. e.g. ServiceName: Check Minutes, ServiceCode: #646#

(Update) If you want to add another (like Check Web Usage), just add a Dictionary in Services. Tap the + button on the bottom right corner. Name it "Check Web Usage" Make sure you choose dictionary as a type. Tap Create. Inside, add two strings (one at a time Please). Name one of them "ServiceName", the other "ServiceCode." No quotes please. Finally, open each of it and input the correct value. =)

8.Find VoicemailPilotNumber. Change this to the number you would call to check your voicemail. Dont forget country code e.g. US - +1.

(Update) In some cases, you might not see VoicemailPilotNumber. You might have to add a string for this one. It's for the VoiceMail. So if your voicemail doesn't work, this is why. In the carrier.plist, tap the + button. Name it VoicemailPilotNumber (case sensitive). Make sure the Type is a string. tap create. Open it, input the correct voicemail number. Make sure to add +1.

9.Save the file.

10.Reboot your iPhone.

Your Phone should now seem as though it's on the right carrier.

11.Test the voicemail button and go through your settings to make sure you did everything right. You should see no sign of the other carrier.

NOTE: Section VI was going to be manually editting apns from the settings app, but I found the much easier and permanent carrier.plist solution after I'd written the first half of this tutorial. When I was doing Section V it made sense to stick it in there instead. If you go to settings, General, Network Cellular Data Network, and it has the wrong settings, click reset Network settings. This will reset them to the defaults from the carrier.plist file that we editted.

(Updated) This next section has been included in Section V Step 5. =)

-Section VI- MMS

The only thing we need to do to fix MMS, since we did most of it in Section V, is add a UA Prof URL. Go to Settings, General, Network, Cellular Data Network, MMS UA Prof URL. Make it (http://www.apple.com/mms/uaprof.rdf).

If you hit Reset Network Settings after this, this is the only thing you need to re-enter.

(Reminder) This section has been included in Section V Step 5. =)

If you hit Reset Network Settings, you won't lose any settings for you Carrier. So you don't have to manually add it again and again. Everything will be there. =)

-Congratulations!!!!!-

You've official cleaned up the mess of an unlock that the Gevey Ultra S provides.

Try to avoid anything on Cydia that could cause system instability, since you'll have to start from scratch again

I spent MANY hours figuring all this out, compiling it all, and making a tutorial, so please thank me and give me credit when it's due. Thanks .

If you dont understand something please respond and I will try to help. I will be constantly monitoring to respond fast and make this easy for everyone.

-Credits-

Special Thanks to Steven0Ritt

Jailbreak: Chronic Dev Team - http://www.Greenpois0n.com

Unlock: Gevey Ultra S - http://www.ApplenBerry.com

CommCenter Patch Tut: MrFabius - http://insanelyi.com/topic/9965-guide-to-patch-commcenter-511-iphone-4s/

FaceTime/iMessage Fix: cooldayr - http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/23968

Misc. Fixes and Cosmetics/MMS: Steven0Ritt

Updates/Revised by iDevCare (Me)

Don't forget to visit my Store
Click Here!
Updated with more US carriers! *8/31/2012

T-Mobile, Simple-Mobile, Straight Talk, Red Pocket, More Soon...

T-Mobile US carrier.plist Settings

APNs:

0: epc.tmobile.com

1: epc.tmobile.com

CarrierName - T-Mobile

MMS:

GroupModeEnabled - ON

MaxImageDimension - 1024

(Reminder) Please do not add commas. If you see a comma, delete it. Usually, anything after a comma here, will disappear after saving.

MaxMessageSize - 1048576

MaxRecipients - 10

MaxVideoBitrate - 131072

MMSC - http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Proxy - 216.155.165.50:8080

MyAccountURLTitle - My T-Mobile Account

MyAccountURL - https://www.my.t-mobile.com

Services:

ServiceName - Check Minutes

ServiceCode - #646#

ServiceName - Check Text Usage

ServiceCode - #674#

ServiceName - Check Balance

ServiceCode - #225#

ServiceName - Check Web Usage

ServiceCode - #932#

VoicemailPilotNumber - +18056377243

(Reminder) In some cases, you might not see VoicemailPilotNumber. You might have to add a string for this one. It's for the VoiceMail. So if your voicemail doesn't work, this is why. In the carrier.plist, tap the + button. Name it VoicemailPilotNumber. Make sure its a string. Tap create. Open it, write down the voicemail number. Make sure to add +1.

Simple-Mobile US carrier.plist Settings

APNs:

0: simple

1: simple

CarrierName - Simple-Mobile

MMS:

GroupModeEnabled - ON

MaxImageDimension - 1024

(Reminder) Please do not add commas. If you see a comma, delete it. Usually, anything after a comma here, will disappear after saving.

MaxMessageSize - 1048576

MaxRecipients - 10

MaxVideoBitrate - 131072

MMSC - http://smpl.mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

Proxy - 216.155.165.50:8080

MyAccountURLTitle - My Simple-Mobile Account

MyAccountURL - https://myaccount.mysimplemobile.com

Services:

ServiceCode - #646#

ServiceCode - #674#

ServiceCode - #225#

ServiceCode - #932#

VoicemailPilotNumber - +18056377243

(Reminder) In some cases, you might not see VoicemailPilotNumber. You might have to add a string for this one. It's for the VoiceMail. So if your voicemail doesn't work, this is why. In the carrier.plist, tap the + button. Name it VoicemailPilotNumber. Make sure its a string. Tap create. Open it, write down the voicemail number. Make sure to add +1.

Straight Talk carrier settings.plist

APNs:

0: att.mvno

1: att.mvno

CarrierName - StraightTalk

MMS:

GroupModeEnabled - ON

MaxImageDimension - 1024

MaxMessageSize - 1048576

MaxRecipients - 10

MaxVideoBitrate - 131072

MMSC - http://mmsc.cingular.com

Proxy - 66.209.11.33:80

MyAccountURLTitle - My StraightTalk Account

MyAccountURL - https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/MyAccount

Services:

ServiceCode - (Unknown)

ServiceCode - (Unknown)

ServiceCode - (Unknown)

ServiceCode - (Unknown)

VoicemailPilotNumber - (Unknown)

Red Pocket carrier settings.plist

APNs:

0: att.mvno

1: att.mvno

CarrierName - RedPocket

MMS:

GroupModeEnabled - ON

MaxImageDimension - 1024

MaxMessageSize - 1048576

MaxRecipients - 10

MaxVideoBitrate - 131072

MMSC - http://mmsc.cingular.com

Proxy - proxy.mvno.rpmobileweb.com:80

MyAccountURLTitle - My RedPocket Account

MyAccountURL - https://goredpocket.com/customer/account/login

Services:

ServiceCode - (Unknown)

ServiceCode - (Unknown)

ServiceCode - (Unknown)

ServiceCode - (Unknown)

VoicemailPilotNumber - (Unknown)

If you have any questions or need a mms fix for another carrier, let me know. You can also reach me at idevcare@me.com

Hafbakt

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Replace existing Net10 phone with unlocked iPhone

I have Net10 service already with a Motorola phone and a 30 day/ 750 min. plan. Can I slip my existing sim card into my unlocked iPhone and use it? This plan is already more than I need. The unlimited plan is excess. Any ideas?

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
I have Net10 service already with a Motorola phone and a 30 day/ 750 min. plan. Can I slip my existing sim card into my unlocked iPhone and use it? This plan is already more than I need. The unlimited plan is excess. Any ideas?

I have NET 10 right now, I know they started this recently but you dont need an unlocked Phone as long as it's an at&t phone, I've been using it with my iPhone 4 and now the 5 I have unlimited and pay 45 dollars a month and in all honesty the internet is faster than H2O on my iPhone 4 and also faster than the i4 on NET 10, you dont get LTE but you are paying 45 a month it does just fine for me I'm on wifi most of the time anyways

** just checked my account I guess the only Plan I'm eligible for is the $45 Plan all of the other plans have ( your phone is not compatible ) they include the free long distance or the 750 minutes etc

Rayanna21

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
How come my iMessage is showing up as my email address ; I have a NET10 service ... Any ideas please helpp!!! It's so annoying

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.