Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:13 AM   #1
tom438
macrumors newbie

Illustrator out of RAM

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place for this but would be great to get some help.

I'm trying to do a simple 3D extrude bevel on a couple of curves in illustrator CS5 and keep getting a message saying that illustrator is out of RAM and can't complete it. I'm using a late 2011 15" MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and get this message when i'v still got around 5GB of RAM free. Is there a way to let Illustrator use more RAM to get around this.

Cheers
tom438 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Zoreke
macrumors member

Welcome to the world of illustrator... a software so old that can't take advantage of the latest hardware....

I've been dealing with the same problem in both OSX and Windows, both computers with 8 gigs of RAM, looks like illustrator can only take 3 gigs of RAM. Try closing other programs just use illustrator, and also try to do your 3D extrusion on a different document with nothing else on it. You need to simplify things for llustrator to work.

I really hope the new CS6 version is 64 bits and takes advantage of GPU power... I can't even open two complex files at the same time... So much for the RAM I bought for my machines....

Good luck.

Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:56 AM   #3
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

I've had the same problem, sorry have no solution for you other than try the tips from Zoreke. I also do find (like the old days) shutting down my machine then restarting and working in outline mode where possible can do it.

I too am wondering what will happen with CS6 but having not long upgraded to CS5.5 I'm surprised by how buggy and bad this upgrade has been across all the apps. (I think a bug fixing 5.75 upgrade should be offered free of charge first!)
jeremy h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:49 AM   #4
tom438
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Good to know it's not just my machine i guess. Will just have to wait for CS6 and hope for 64 bit.
tom438 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics