Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Young Turk
macrumors 6502

Recommend HDMI projector for Apple TV & AirPlay

Trial lawyer. Use my iPad 2 in court. Please recommend an HDMI projector that I can wirelessly project from my AppleTV using Airpay. Budget <$650.
iPad Air 16gb White/Silver

Last edited by Young Turk; Feb 10, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Young Turk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Wileycb
macrumors newbie

AirPlay only works over wifi or an eithernet connection which means you would need the wifi password for every courtroom you work in. If a courtroom doesn't have wifi, will not give you the password or happens to go down before or during your presentation you my friend would be screwed.*

My recommendation would be to use an Apple TV, iPad 2 and a Seagate Goflex Satellite Hard Drive. The Goflex Satallite broadcasts its own wifi signal, the battery lasts from 4 - 8 hours depending on use and you can mirror your iPad screen to your Apple TV over the wifi signal (also play videos, music and documents). This would be the best option that I can think of at the moment. I just tested all the above on my TV and it works great. I have a bulb on order for my Acer P5270 projector, I'll post the results from that once I get it up and running (hopefully within a week) but I expect it to work fine. The only other issue I can think of is sound. My projector doesn't have a audio out plug and most speakers are horrible on projectors. The Optima PR160s would probably work fine. It has HDMI in and stereo audio out so a cheap set of computer speakers might work depending how large the room is.*

It might be a slightly over your budget (Optima projector $479, Goflex Satallite $200) if you already have an iPad. If you go with a setup like this it might be best to get a custom pelican case to keep the equipment safe and look more presentable when entering the court room.*

Hope this helps,
Brent
Wileycb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:28 AM   #3
garethharris
macrumors newbie

Use a MiFi for a local wireless hub

You will need a wireless hub between your ATV and iPad/Macbook. I use a MiFi portable hotspot. It works even if not connected to a cellular carrier. Used ones are $15-30 on ebay. They will run for a couple of hours on battery or you can plug them in.
In a courtroom, you may need a real projector. The little projectors are not bright enough. Once again, resort to ebay.
garethharris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Turk View Post
Trial lawyer. Use my iPad 2 in court. Please recommend an HDMI projector that I can wirelessly project from my AppleTV using Airpay. Budget <$650.
ViewSonic with 720P and HDMI $550
http://j.mp/xCWNLe

There are other 720P projectors in your price range.

To save time, I would build the projector + Apple TV + Airport Express into some kind of a case, so all you need to plug in is a power cord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileycb View Post
AirPlay only works over wifi or an eithernet connection which means you would need the wifi password for every courtroom you work in. If a courtroom doesn't have wifi, will not give you the password or happens to go down before or during your presentation you my friend would be screwed. <snip>
Airport Express works fine to set up local wifi. No internet connection is required.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice