Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
Hi all - my parents have an eMac and it won't turn on. It's likely it was in 'sleep' mode when this happened, im guessing the power went out. It was hooked up to a surge slayer, which is completly functional still - so i dont know if that was the problem. I've told them to try other outlets, no luck. Nothing happens they say, it's as if it wasnt plugged in at all.
The only thing I've found is this thread but he didn't post his resolution. I've contacted the user, but no response. Any ideas? Thanks!
Nick

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
nichos said:
Hi all - my parents have an eMac and it won't turn on. It's likely it was in 'sleep' mode when this happened, im guessing the power went out. It was hooked up to a surge slayer, which is completly functional still - so i dont know if that was the problem. I've told them to try other outlets, no luck. Nothing happens they say, it's as if it wasnt plugged in at all.
The only thing I've found is this thread but he didn't post his resolution. I've contacted the user, but no response. Any ideas? Thanks!
Nick

do you mean nothing at all...or just wont boot....just wanted to make it clear.

give apple a call, i would have done it right away...

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
Nope, nothing at all - as if it wasn't plugged in.
I think I will give Apple a call, it was bought about 6 months ago? A few more questions:
Whats covered? Parts, labour, both?
If the parts and not the labour is covered, can they send the part out and let me install it? (I'm assuming it would be the power supply). Maybe I can take it to my apple store for diagnostics?
Thanks again
Nick

nichos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
SOLVED!

Just incase anyone comes across this thread and needs the resolution reset the PRAM.

The pram is located in the user access panel, next to the RAM. Here are some quick steps, don't do this if you are unsure about anything!
Disconnect the eMac
Place the mac face down on a towel, ground yourself by touching a part of metal on the eMac.
Remove the access panel.
Bottom right relative to the RAM theres a little silver-like button, press that ONCE AND ONCE ONLY!!!
The button may be covered by a few black and red wires on newer eMacs, gently move them out of the way to reveal this button.
That should be it!
Again, ONLY press the reset button ONCE! and make sure you ground yourself, dont do this on carpet, wearing socks, etc. If in doubt, don't do it:) Good luck!
Nick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.