Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:39 AM   #1
stephen1108
macrumors 6502a

Are there any jailbreak tweaks that would slow down overall performance of the 4S?

I noticed the other day when I put my 4S (jailbroken) and my best friend's 4S (not jailbroken) side-by-side, her iPhone ran much quicker overall in the process of opening apps, closing them, opening the camera and whatnot. About two times as fast. Now I know the jailbreak itself isn't what would slow my phone down, but I am wondering which tweak I have installed that could be causing it.

This is what I have installed:
Activator
App Switcher Brightness
Backgrounder
biteSMS
Black Keyboard
CyDelete
Cyntact
disableEmergency
iFile
Internalizer
Navigate from Maps
NoNewsIsGoodNews
Open in ProTube
ProTube
SBSettings
Serious SBSettings HD
SimpleDate for Notification Center
SiriToggles
SwitcherMod
WeeFlashlight for Notification Center

anyone have any idea as to what can be causing the slowdown or can please help me out?

Last edited by stephen1108; Feb 11, 2012 at 02:46 AM.
stephen1108 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:33 AM   #2
TC25
Banned

1. Remove 1 jb app
2. Compare to friend's phone
3. Repeat until app causing slowdown is found.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:55 AM   #3
buddybd
macrumors 6502

All those apps slightly do slow down the iPhone. I personally use FakeClockUp at 20% to make it feel faster.
buddybd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:05 AM   #4
labman
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybd View Post
All those apps slightly do slow down the iPhone. I personally use FakeClockUp at 20% to make it feel faster.
disagree I do agree with TC25 though 1st of all if you were correct it would only slow it down when running. IE Protube but you use the YouTube app and I'll use protube and we will see how much slower it is.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:09 AM   #5
kalirob99
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kalirob99
Backgrounder would be my thought. But I wasn't even aware it was updated and out of the "beta" phase for 5.0.
kalirob99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Nekcik
macrumors member

Cyntact is your biggest lagging culprit. If you want an alternative use Faces Visual Photo Dialer - On the Appstore.
Nekcik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:00 PM   #7
SirStrumalot
macrumors 6502

Out of the tweaks you have installed, I personally deleted SiriToggles and WeeFlashlight after they were giving me a lot of trouble. I really like the WeeFlashlight tweak, but I'll have to wait until there is a more stable release out. It's even caused my phone to get stuck and/or respring randomly. It also uses quite a bit of memory for a flashlight toggle, but I think this was somewhat rectified in the latest update. Cyntact is another huge memory hog and is not very stable imo.

Another one that slows things down is Winterboard, but I've never really been one to spend time themeing.
SirStrumalot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:02 PM   #8
stephen1108
macrumors 6502a

I was thinking it could be Backgrounder too, but if Backgrounder isn't being used, it shouldn't affect it right?

and it isn't Cyntact. I just uninstalled Cyntact, and even my mom's iPhone 4 (not jailbroken) is closing out of apps faster than my phone is. It's like I press the home button, it hangs for a little bit then closes out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirStrumalot View Post
Out of the tweaks you have installed, I personally deleted SiriToggles and WeeFlashlight after they were giving me a lot of trouble. I really like the WeeFlashlight tweak, but I'll have to wait until there is a more stable release out. It's even caused my phone to get stuck and/or respring randomly. It also uses quite a bit of memory for a flashlight toggle, but I think this was somewhat rectified in the latest update. Cyntact is another huge memory hog and is not very stable imo.

Another one that slows things down is Winterboard, but I've never really been one to spend time themeing.
I don't have Winterboard for that exact reason! I'm not one for theming and it also does have negative effects on the overall performance of the phone. Let me try deleting SiriToggles and see if that helps
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Tokes Green
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1108 View Post
I was thinking it could be Backgrounder too, but if Backgrounder isn't being used, it shouldn't affect it right?

and it isn't Cyntact. I just uninstalled Cyntact, and even my mom's iPhone 4 (not jailbroken) is closing out of apps faster than my phone is. It's like I press the home button, it hangs for a little bit then closes out.

----------

I don't have Winterboard for that exact reason! I'm not one for theming and it also does have negative effects on the overall performance of the phone. Let me try deleting SiriToggles and see if that helps
Regarding Winterboard, I have been running it since 4.3.3 and my iPhone 4 runs just as fast as my housemates non-jailbroken 4.

I think it has to do with the amount of themes installed/in use, but I keep seeing people bring up Winterboard as a problem, and in my case and I'm sure plenty of others it works just fine.
Tokes Green is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:47 PM   #10
fizz7283
macrumors 6502a

Is cyntact really that bad of a tweak? I didn't think it'd slow the phone down that much.
fizz7283 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:44 PM   #11
stephen1108
macrumors 6502a

So I realized exactly what the source of my problem was. Having the "triple-click home button" feature on to activate assistive touch. Every time I'd press the home button, even if it were only once, there would be a lag before it carried out the action I wanted. I realized this after taking my uncle's new 3GS and comparing it to my 4S, I realized that whenever I was pressing the home button, there was a delay his phone didn't have and then thought about what might be set up differently than his phone.

I also un-jailbroke my phone, and now I'm a little upset that I didn't figure that out before I went ahead and restored my phone, but at the end of the day I think I'll be fine without the jailbreak! It was fun while I had it
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:29 PM   #12
fizz7283
macrumors 6502a

Wow, nice catch. I've had activator set up where triple home click opens the camera and always thought my home button was just faulty. I removed the activator selection and now the button works great. Thanks for pointing that out!
fizz7283 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:03 PM   #13
stephen1108
macrumors 6502a

You're welcome! But I didn't even use it in activator, I did it directly through the iPhone Settings app. I recommend others experiencing slow down turn that feature off and see if it helps!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:11 PM   #14
tateu
macrumors 6502

On my 4s, I have Triple-click Home Button set in Settings -> Accessibility for "Toggle White on Black." It takes, maybe, an extra 1/2 second for apps to close when pressing the Home with this on. That's not a big deal to me. I use Activator with Swipe Right on the Status bar as my virtual Home button most of the time anyway.
tateu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:13 PM   #15
labman
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1108 View Post

----------

backgrounder isn't supported by the original dev anymore and is open source the new version is not any good imo. not saying that's the problem, could be in your head as well.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks