Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:44 AM   #1
docbot
macrumors newbie

Learning to Programm / Question how complex it is to rename files

Hey There,

I want to learn how to programm a mac application, simply because I want to develop a program to solve something that I haven't yet been able to with another App.

So I am willing to go down that road, but since I want to write an app, that renames files based on metadata. I was just wondering how complex of a thing that is to do?

Is that a goal I will be able to reach in a few month, or does it requier very deep knowledge of the macs filesystem or whatever.

thanks!
docbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2
MasConejos
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to MasConejos
Renaming a file is trivial, and can typically be done in 1-2 lines of code, in any language.

Retrieving the file metadata is going to be a little harder and a little confusing at first, but shouldn't be anything insurmountable.

See this page for a listing of all the classes and methods available for fetching and retrieving the filesystem metadata (Objective-C links on left)
MasConejos is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming