Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floodgrunt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Somewhere in the universe...
Previously titled:Can someone send me Sartfile.bin, Extras.txt and Extras2.txt for 10.5 Leopard?

FIXED, check this post for the final solution after almost 2 years :)

I recently screwed up bigtime.
I deleted or moved or replaced Sartfile.bin on my macbook without backing it up.

Now it won't go to the login screen. Instead it alternates repeatedly between two shades of blue.
I can get into the 'Single User Mode' where I can enter commands and stuff. I checked, all my stuff is on it, everything is okay but the Sartfile and the Extras.txt or Extras2.txt.

If anyone here runs Leopard, it'd be greatly appreciated if you could upload those three files (Sartfile.bin, Extras.txt and Extras2.txt) somewhere.

I will forever be in your debt.*

*promise will not be held.

P.S. Any help on how to access USB flash drives via Single User Mode is welcome, too.
^ The above post is outdated.
V New problem

Sorry for the gravedig, but I managed to fix this (just tried again) and now it actually boots! :D

I can log in, but when I'm logged in, it'll attempt to start finder, but stop and quit it, along with any other app I try to start. They all just quit on me. If I open every app on my dock I can see some of them open but I can't click on anything and then after a while they close again.

Also, whenever I try to right click anything on the dock, it takes ages to show the right click menu thing and it dissappears after a while or sometimes restarts the dock entirely if I click on it. The stacks on the right dissappear after about 3 seconds, too.

I can access the dashboard, though, and the internet does work because the translator widget works, sort of.

I have no idea why it is doing this :/

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
This is from Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Extras_Extras2_SArtFile.zip, but the two "extras" files have ".rsrc" as file suffix, not ".txt".

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

Floodgrunt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
This is from Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Extras_Extras2_SArtFile.zip, but the two "extras" files have ".rsrc" as file suffix, not ".txt".

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the Image button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the Image button below your message.

Thanks for the Snow Leopard version, but I need the Leopard version.

Also, what information did I fail to tell? In the third paragraph it says what I need, but if I missed anything feel free to let me know.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Also, what information did I fail to tell? In the third paragraph it says what I need, but if I missed anything feel free to let me know.

This is your thread title: I accidentally my system.
It misses a verb like "****ed up" or something similar.

I guess you don't have any kind of backup?

And once you can browse the file system in Single User Mode, you can CD to the Volumes folder to see and access an external USB flash memory thumb drive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I used "ls /" to check the Volumes folder before and it only shows my harddrive.

Is there much of a difference between cd and ls?

The difference is, that CD is for changing folders, LS is for listing files and folders.
If the USB flash memory thumb drive is not listed in the Volumes folder, maybe look for a mount command, as I am not that proficient with with Terminal.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you can "cd", you can "cp", but both are different commands. "cd" is for changing to the appropriate directory and for you to find the appropriate directory.

Anyway, do you have your Leopard DVD? Why not reinstall Mac OS X?
Or buy the 29 USD Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD, if you have an Intel Mac?

And if that is not an option, why not change the thread title to "Can someone send me Sartfile.bin, Extras.txt and Extras2.txt from 10.5 Leopard?", as there will be still a lot of 10.5 users out there and be more aware of this thread than with "I accidentally my system"?

Do you have an external HDD?

Floodgrunt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Alright, changing the title now.

About the cd, I have both the original Tiger Install CD and the Leopard Install CD but... the internal cd drive of my macbook is broken...

I do have an external CD drive (and external HD too) but for some reason it's not detecting it when I plug it in. If it's plugged in during boot the screen just goes blank and stays like that while the CD keeps spinning. If I plug it in after the laptop was booted the CD starts spinning but everything else happens just the same.

I tried holding 'c' while booting with the drive plugged in AND plugged out but it doesn't make a difference.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It's Sunday, and as this is a US-centric board, you will see more people in the evening or at night if you are based in Europe.

Do you have any other Mac?

Floodgrunt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Sorry for the gravedig, but I managed to fix this (just tried again) and now it actually boots! :D

I can log in, but when I'm logged in, it'll attempt to start finder, but stop and quit it, along with any other app I try to start. They all just quit on me. If I open every app on my dock I can see some of them open but I can't click on anything and then after a while they close again.

Also, whenever I try to right click anything on the dock, it takes ages to show the right click menu thing and it dissappears after a while or sometimes restarts the dock entirely if I click on it. The stacks on the right dissappear after about 3 seconds, too.

I can access the dashboard, though, and the internet does work because the translator widget works, sort of.

I have no idea why it is doing this :/

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Can you open System Preferences? Go to Accounts and create a new user. If you can't do this then...

Can you Safe Boot?

If you can, try creating a new user in the accounts preference pane. Then log in to the new user. Do things work now?

Floodgrunt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Can you open System Preferences? Go to Accounts and create a new user. If you can't do this then...

Can you Safe Boot?

If you can, try creating a new user in the accounts preference pane. Then log in to the new user. Do things work now?

I tried opening System Preferences, it closes just like any other app.
I also tried to see if the guest account was any different, and the same thing happens to it too, although the menubar shows up in this case, it isn't clickable.

EDIT: Just tried to do Safe Boot, it just keeps loading on the white screen with the grey apple logo and loading circle thing.

EDIT 2: Perhaps it has something to do with the HD being read-only? It says in single user mode it's read-only, but AFAIK it always says that in single user mode.

EDIT 3: Safe Boot started, but the only difference I can tell is that the wallpaper is back to default when I log in...

EDIT 4: If anyone has the sArtfile.bin, Artfile.bin, Extras.rsrc and Extras2.rsrc for LEOPARD (not snow leopard) I'd appreciate it if you could upload it for me as it might have something to do with a wrong version or whatever.

Last edited:

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
Files from Leopard 10.5.8

Attachments

• ArtFile.bin.zip
    965.8 KB · Views: 57
  • SArtFile.bin.zip
    596.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Extras.rsrc.zip
    726.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Extras2.rsrc.zip
    725.2 KB · Views: 61
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.