Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1
gnychis
macrumors 6502

best way to remove iPhoto duplicates?

I am trying to find the best way to remove duplicates in iPhoto, and I'm shocked there is no built in tool to do this.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with 3rd party applications, like Duplicate Annihilator or any others:
http://brattoo.com/propaganda/index.php
gnychis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:05 AM   #2
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

DA worked great for me.
h00ligan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:22 PM   #3
flynz4
macrumors 68040

I do not use iPhoto (my spouse does)... but I'll put in a plug for Aperture. The concept of having duplicates is foreign to me. With A3, you import your photos once, and then you can create countless collections and versions of them to use in different manners (slideshows, books, light tables, albums, etc). Each photo exists only once... and the "versions" take essentially zero space. Even edits of the master images only save the changes in each of the versions.

Does iPhoto not work this way as well? If not, Aperture 3 has become so cheap since the Mac App Store was introduced and is quite a bargain.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:39 PM   #4
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

If you're considering aperture at that point if change to Lightroom. It's a way enter program in pretty much every way.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:52 PM   #5
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00ligan View Post
If you're considering aperture at that point if change to Lightroom. It's a way enter program in pretty much every way.
I am having a hard time parsing your post.

I think you are trying to say that Lightroom is a better program than A3. I personally think that it is a coin toss overall. Both have slight advantages over each other depending on your work flow, and tool set.

If you use both PCs and Macs, then I would suggest LR. If you are married to the Adobe suites... same recommendation. If you primarily use Macs... and you value integration into Mac OSX... then I think A3 has the upper hand.

For me... I like Aperture 3 the best. I think it is a great enough program to justify switching to a Mac. I would never fault anyone who made the opposite choice.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

I had an iPad typo, sorry.

Yes I think Lightroom is way better. Even based on speed alone it's not a coin toss, but with the soon to arrive lightroom 4, aperture has been leap frogged and then some.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store