Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Revomonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
I have had a 3rd gen iPod Touch since the month after they ccam out, but it started to have somee problems, so I sold it and got a new 4th gen Touch, but there are quite a few differences that I would consider problems wwith this new iipod that my last iPod did not have. I am running ios 5.0.1, which is the same version of ios that I was running on my last ipod. One of the biggest differences is speed. My 3rd gen Touch never had any problems with apps freezing or the actual ios software freezing but, on this new Touch, it may freeze several times a day. It is almost like the PC that I had a few years ago before I switched to mac. Apps freeze, the operating system freezes, and it just seems half as fast s my 3rg gen touch did. On my last touch, when I was syncing to my computer over wifi or through a cable, I could play a game or surf the web on the device while it was syncing, but on this new Touch, whenever I sync it, it freezes and causes problems with the syncing. Anoter problem that I have found is, if I double click the home button, sometimes it will only pick two clicks up as one, or it may not pick them up at all. To bring up the multi tasking bar, I have to really press the home buttion hard to get it to notice two clicks. This gets really annoying when I am trying to bring up the multi tasking bar, but it just goes over to the search screen instead. On the third gen ipod that I had, Multitasking worked seemlessly. Another difference that I found was, when I am trying on the screen, it slows down drastically, and most of the time will not pick up many of my keystrokes. Sometimes, when I am typing, it will think that I am holding down a key and bring up accents for that key, even when I am not. This means that typing is very hard. On my 3rd gen, there was never any lagg when typing. There are several other problems, but that is just a few to list them. Is this a faulty Touch, or is this common for fourth gen Touches? When I spend $300 on a new device, I gennerally expect it to work as well or better than my older out of date device. Should I go back to the store and extange it? Thanks,

----------

really large problem that I forgot to mention was, Whenever I do something that requires an internet connection, the connection will drop on the ipod, or will disconnect altogether. Even when I am just surfing the web.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2012
Your conclusion is valid. Everything that you brought up is very real.

I will say it- the iPod touch 4th generation isn't built for iOS 5. It can't handle it.

The keyboard lags are tremendously unfortunate. Safari crashes constantly. Even the battery life is low.

And when you lock your iPod touch, you hear the lock sound like 30 seconds later. o_O

But if you can handle not having too much stored on it, you can probably live with it. However, the iPod touch 4G is deemed need upgrade now.

Revomonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
Even the problem with my wireless? Sometimes it will cut out several times per min. This makes watching Netflix or Hulu almost impossible.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Nothing you have described is normal. The only thing even similar that I have experienced, is that safari frequently crashes on my iPod Touch 4G, which seems to be a common complaint. Everything else should not be happening. I would highly recommend you return that and get a new one. There is no way a 4th should be slower in any task then your 3rd gen.

MacStu09

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
I never have a single freeze up on my 4th gen. I'd take yours back and get a new one. Typing has no lags for me, and never any problems with apps freezing.

Though I will say, safari is crap. Don't use it on the ipod. Since Opera came out on the ipod touch, I've used it; from my first gen to my fourth gen. Even Mercury is more stable than safari.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow I've never seen so much false information from so many different posters!

Right iPod touch 4th gen is same as current it carries the a4 chip. iOS 5 runs on older tech than this without many hiccups

iOS unfortunately has several bugs that do cause wifi to drop off. Give apple a chance.

As for other browsers working better... Hmm there all running safari webkit

Aradar

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
I don't find my iPod touch 4th Gen on iOS 5.0.1 as satisfying as I'd hope to be, but it fits my needs and works decent.

MacStu09

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009

As for other browsers working better... Hmm there all running safari webkit

Yep. And Safari is still crap. Doesn't matter if they run the same webkit; they can all still be more refined/stable/and polished than safari.

Unless Safari only freezes and crashes more on every ipod I've owned, as well as all of my friends. But apparently, it's more widespread than just us.

MA123

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
I've been having almost the exact same problems with my iPod Touch 4th Gen. I just put up with it and hope all of this will be fixed with iOS 6 coming out this fall

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
The 4th Gen iPod touch, as suggested above is highly underpowered for iOS 5, and definitely will be for iOS 6.

The reason being the Retina display, the iPod touch only has 256MB of RAM, along with the A4 from the iPhone 4. The 3rd Gen touch had the same amount of RAM as the 4th, which is why you see the slowdown due to the sheer amount of pixels the small amount of RAM has to support.

Having ran the iOS 6 beta's on an iPod touch 4G, I can say that the speed issue is not improved, only more apparent, and I know that they are pre-release versions of iOS, but I can't see the speed issues that are in iOS 5 being improved as the OS becomes more resource heavy.

In short, the iPod touch 4th Gen is in need of a RAM boost to at least 512 MB, to even get satisfactory performance on the latest iOS versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.