Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
USA
From Apples website:

PviCW.png

(base model 21.5" on the left, going over with the 27" as the last two columns)

Are there only 2 slots in the base model, or are there 4? I know Apple won't let you upgrade other things like the hard drive on the base model, and if this is just a dirty sales/marketing trick.

The $1199 model is probably the one I would buy because I don't need any more CPU power than that.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
4 slots.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM and RAM slots:
  • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
  • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model.
    (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify actual usable RAM.)

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I was hoping someone that owns one and has upgraded can say for 100% sure.

I noticed MacMall's site allows you to configure it with them adding 4 chips but I heard a rumor that Apple (in a cost-cutting attempt) removed two of the slots from the lowest model. A document on memory upgrades from support.appple.com also didn't mention it but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was hoping someone that owns one and has upgraded can say for 100% sure.

I noticed MacMall's site allows you to configure it with them adding 4 chips but I heard a rumor that Apple (in a cost-cutting attempt) removed two of the slots from the lowest model.
Not true. They have 4 slots. 100% certain. The links I posted deal with facts, not rumors.

Your iMac has four memory slots.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I also want to hear from an actual person and not just a link.
Suit yourself, but no individual user is a more authoritative source than Apple itself. Listening to someone other than Apple is what got you the misinformation, in the first place. The rumor you heard is completely false. Can you quote the source?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Just to add more oil, one can't upgrade the 2.5 GHz model to 16 GB, 8 GB is the limit, but one can upgrade the 2.7 GHz model to 16 GB.
It's a bit strange, but maybe Apple thought, buyers, who go for the lowest iMac don't have an interest in adding 16 GB RAM.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac/select

Then again, EveryMac says, that that 2.5 GHz model has four slots.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

Anyway, what would be the added value by not including two fewer RAM slots? It would mean more work actually.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'd like that link too...OP, just go onto Apples site...They even post step buy step instructions on how to install new RAM..And it's applicable to ALL iMacs.

Do you think we are here to mislead and provide false information?

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
ok heres an actual user who's telling u i have the 2010 base model with i3 but its exactly the same design as 2011 and i just added 2x2gb dims to the 4 to make 8 so yes it has 4 slots u can trust me on that

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Just to add more oil, one can't upgrade the 2.5 GHz model to 16 GB, 8 GB is the limit, but one can upgrade the 2.7 GHz model to 16 GB.
It's a bit strange, but maybe Apple thought, buyers, who go for the lowest iMac don't have an interest in adding 16 GB RAM.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

Anyway, what would be the added value by not including two fewer RAM slots? It would mean more work actually.

I have the 2011 21.5" base 2.5 GHz iMac and it DEFINITELY has 4 slots, because I added 4x 4GB memory sticks myself.

I think the Apple quote is suggesting upgrading with 2 additional sticks @ 4 GB each to the original 2x 2GB, so four sticks total.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I have the 2011 21.5" base 2.5 GHz iMac and it DEFINITELY has 4 slots, because I added 4x 4GB memory sticks myself.

I think the Apple quote is suggesting upgrading with 2 additional sticks @ 4 GB each to the original 2x 2GB, so four sticks total.

Apple lets you upgrade to 8 GB via two 4 GB sticks, but thanks for confirming, that the lowest model has four slots, though you could be just fracking with us anyway. Like the rumour, so in the end, what exactly has been accomplished?

(is not meant as slide towards you CricketGrrrl, just as a a general observation, that anyone can claim anything on the www and it is often taken for granted. How often did I just reply with "Yes" or "No" to answer someone's question, due to their lack of research, and they just took it from my horse's mouth.)

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Oops

I forgot... Apple states the max memory for the base 21" iMac is 16 GB. Although if one has a ton of money, 32 is possible according to OWC.

I remember fretting a little about this last year because there was something on the Apple site which could be interpreted either way.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That's a worser colour than that egregious pink. Take your pick, and me my pill, says man with beady eyes.
It was supposed to be a light minty green, but if you prefer lime, lemon, cherry or orange, take your pick! Anything's better than horse breath.... except listening to unfounded rumors, that is!

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Aaughh, I was hoping not to have to upload a screenshot

Apple lets you upgrade to 8 GB via two 4 GB sticks, but thanks for confirming, that the lowest model has four slots, though you could be just fracking with us anyway. Like the rumour, so in the end, what exactly has been accomplished?

(is not meant as slide towards you CricketGrrrl, just as a a general observation, that anyone can claim anything on the www and it is often taken for granted. How often did I just reply with "Yes" or "No" to answer someone's question, due to their lack of research, and they just took it from my horse's mouth.)

Well, as I simply adore you and GGJStudios for all of the amazing advice I've received from you all, I wouldn't frack you.:)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-12 at 9.49.26 PM.JPG
    Screen shot 2012-02-12 at 9.49.26 PM.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 94

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, as I simply adore you and GGJStudios for all of the amazing advice I've received from you all, I wouldn't frack you.:)
If you want to post an even more revealing screen shot, go to:
 > About This Mac > More Info > Hardware > Memory and post that one, which shows the slots.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Suit yourself, but no individual user is a more authoritative source than Apple itself. Listening to someone other than Apple is what got you the misinformation, in the first place. The rumor you heard is completely false. Can you quote the source?

In OP's defense, the screen shot in his first post was actually taken from the Apple website showing the user configurable options for each model imac. It does indeed show that the base model doesn't offer an upgrade to 16GB, which might lead one to question whether there were 2 or 4 slots available in the base model.

But, like Simsaladimbimba hypothesized, maybe Apple just can't believe the target audience for the base imac wants 16 GB, especially at the prices Apple charges for the upgrade. :p

But, I think there is ample evidence and first hand testimony to put OP's fears to rest that the base 21.5 inch imac does indeed have 4 slots like the other models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.