Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

PS3 controller to play iPad games...?

Would this not be the coolest thing? Just connect via bluetooth and play games like GTA3 the way they were meant to be. As it is, I can't stand most console ports on the ipad due to touch controls. If I could use a controller to play them properly, I would be spending significantly more money in the App Store!!

Last edited by Taustin Powers; Feb 13, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:59 AM   #2
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taustin Powers View Post
Would this not a the coolest thing? Just connect via bluetooth and play games like GTA3 the way they were meant to be. As it is, I can't stand most console ports on the ipad due to touch controls. If I could use a controller to play them properly, I would be spending significantly more money in the App Store!!
Problem some Apple api restrictions preventing it, but yep would be cool.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Apple could make their own controller, I would buy it! Anything to make those games playable. But I guess it would be against their no-more-buttons philosophy...
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:10 PM   #4
lilcosco08
macrumors 65816

It's possible with a jailbroken iPad and a Wii classic controller.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Stelph
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcosco08 View Post
It's possible with a jailbroken iPad and a Wii classic controller.
AFAIK only for apps that support it like the N64, SNES emulators. There are some interesting developments like the 60beat controller that connects via the headphone socket

http://www.60beat.com/category_s/73.htm

However this only works with apps that have included the api coding from 60beats, so the app support is quite limited at the moment, especially for the price

I would really love to see a solution like the one that has popped up on the Android side of things, where controller apps can now "emulate" touches to the screen

http://www.nothingbuttablets.com/8345

What this means is that even for games that dont have support for controllers "built in" you can still use a controller as you just set up emulated touchpoints that are controlled by the controller (e.g. PS3 controller) and it works just like you were prodding the screen. Very clever and I would love to see it on the iPad, even if it were for jailbroken iPads only
Stelph is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games