Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
eclipse01
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
can't believe there is no way to search through old texts convos

it is so painfully slow to keep taping "load earlier messages"
eclipse01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Yea wish there was a better way
__________________
Space Grey 64gb 6plus AT&T, 13.3" MacBook Air 1.86GHZ 4GB Ram 128GB SSD
Jordan921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000
 
MattMJB0188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse01 View Post
it is so painfully slow to keep taping "load earlier messages"
I know what you mean. Unfortunately you will be crucified here for asking for feature Apple doesn't offer. Gotta love the fanboys here because they can make you laugh on your worst day . Hopefully iOS 6 will be completely revamped.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:52 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The New World
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse01 View Post
it is so painfully slow to keep taping "load earlier messages"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Yea wish there was a better way
Get the app Phoneview. You have to pay for it, but you can download all your texts and everything else to your Mac and browse to your heart's content.
__________________
"Gee, I've been on this diet only ten minutes and I've already lost something, my sense of humor."
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:56 PM   #5
eclipse01
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Get the app Phoneview. You have to pay for it, but you can download all your texts and everything else to your Mac and browse to your heart's content.
are you sure its called that, i'm not seeing anything in the appstore by that name
eclipse01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:00 PM   #6
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse01 View Post
are you sure its called that, i'm not seeing anything in the appstore by that name
That's because it's for the mac, and he posted a link to the software

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 13, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: removed name calling
matttye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:00 PM   #7
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The New World
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse01 View Post
are you sure its called that, i'm not seeing anything in the appstore by that name
Click the link I made in my first post.
__________________
"Gee, I've been on this diet only ten minutes and I've already lost something, my sense of humor."
SandboxGeneral is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:05 PM   #8
eclipse01
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Click the link I made in my first post.
oh duh...gotcha, was thinking it was an app that made it possible at first.

Thanks!
eclipse01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Actually: if you go to your home screen, and swipe all the way to the left, past your first page of apps, and enter in a text fragment in the search field, it WILL search your text messages (along with everything else). Scroll until you see the text message icon in the results, then tap the result you're looking for, and it will take you right to that text message.

Granted, it would be nice to have a search feature in the messages app, but at least you CAN search your texts on the iPhone itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
I know what you mean. Unfortunately you will be crucified here for asking for feature Apple doesn't offer. Gotta love the fanboys here because they can make you laugh on your worst day . Hopefully iOS 6 will be completely revamped.
No, we only crucify people who don't know what they're talking about, like when they bash a platform for not having features that it actually does.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Feb 13, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Agent-P
macrumors 68020
 
Agent-P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Actually: if you go to your home screen, and swipe all the way to the left, past your first page of apps, and enter in a text fragment in the search field, it WILL search your text messages (along with everything else). Scroll until you see the text message icon in the results, then tap the result you're looking for, and it will take you right to that text message.
This is what I was going to suggest. If you know which message you're looking for, then spotlight will find it for you.
But I agree in thinking that the feature would be better within the messages app. I'm thinking as a pull down on the screen where all the conversations are shown will reveal a search bar (similar to the search within the music app). Then your search results would overlay that as you type. Either tap the message to go to it, or a cancel button in the top corner to retract the results and return you to the list of conversations. That's how I envision that should be. Maybe in iOS 6?
__________________
I have a dream that one day iOS users, Android users, and Windows Phone users will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.
---------------
Xbox Live/PSN: ClassyPandaBear

Last edited by Agent-P; Feb 13, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Agent-P is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
froobaloops
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
This is what I was going to suggest. If you know which message you're looking for, then spotlight will find it for you.
But I agree in thinking that the feature would be better within the messages app. I'm thinking as a pull down on the screen where all the conversations are shown will reveal a search bar (similar to the search within the music app). Then your search results would overlay that as you type. Either tap the message to go to it, or a cancel button in the top corner to retract the results and return you to the list of conversations. That's how I envision that should be. Maybe in iOS 6?
Actually spotlight is only able to search messages which show up WITHOUT having to hit "load earlier messages". So in the end we are only able to search the last 50 messages of each SMS thread which ends up being quite useless since 50 messages are easy to look through without a search function.
froobaloops is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I dont know about the App store, but Google play has a 3rd party app called 'SMS Backup', which is one among many apps which will back up your SMS messages to a folder of your choice on your Gmail account.

Since the texts show up as email messages on gmail, you retain the ability to search through them using the Gmail app.

Surely iphone has something similar?
__________________
Mongol General: "What is best in life?"
Conan the Barbarian: To crush fanboyism. To see the iPhone 6s bent before you, and to hear the lamentation of their owners.
Tarzanman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
user pictures not saving in message convos in mavericks Allard OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Oct 24, 2013 01:23 PM
IOS7 super laggy when typing in passcode, search box, app store search? Reminisce32 iOS 7 15 Sep 18, 2013 05:46 PM
View texts and images from texts on computer? johnnnw iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Sep 1, 2013 10:51 PM
Deleted Texts and Contact Still Showing in Search? mojo pin iPhone 4 May 21, 2013 02:58 PM
What is the message limit before the iPhone dumps all your convos? tymaster50 iPhone 10 Oct 13, 2012 09:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC