macrumors 68030

Yea wish there was a better way
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse01 View Post
it is so painfully slow to keep taping "load earlier messages"
I know what you mean. Unfortunately you will be crucified here for asking for feature Apple doesn't offer. Gotta love the fanboys here because they can make you laugh on your worst day . Hopefully iOS 6 will be completely revamped.
MattMJB0188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:52 PM   #4
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
it is so painfully slow to keep taping "load earlier messages"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan921 View Post
Yea wish there was a better way
Get the app Phoneview. You have to pay for it, but you can download all your texts and everything else to your Mac and browse to your heart's content.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:56 PM   #5
eclipse01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Get the app Phoneview. You have to pay for it, but you can download all your texts and everything else to your Mac and browse to your heart's content.
are you sure its called that, i'm not seeing anything in the appstore by that name
eclipse01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:00 PM   #6
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
are you sure its called that, i'm not seeing anything in the appstore by that name
That's because it's for the mac, and he posted a link to the software

Last edited by maflynn; Feb 13, 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: removed name calling
matttye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:00 PM   #7
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Click the link I made in my first post.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:05 PM   #8
eclipse01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Click the link I made in my first post.
oh duh...gotcha, was thinking it was an app that made it possible at first.

Thanks!
eclipse01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Actually: if you go to your home screen, and swipe all the way to the left, past your first page of apps, and enter in a text fragment in the search field, it WILL search your text messages (along with everything else). Scroll until you see the text message icon in the results, then tap the result you're looking for, and it will take you right to that text message.

Granted, it would be nice to have a search feature in the messages app, but at least you CAN search your texts on the iPhone itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
I know what you mean. Unfortunately you will be crucified here for asking for feature Apple doesn't offer. Gotta love the fanboys here because they can make you laugh on your worst day . Hopefully iOS 6 will be completely revamped.
No, we only crucify people who don't know what they're talking about, like when they bash a platform for not having features that it actually does.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Feb 13, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Actually: if you go to your home screen, and swipe all the way to the left, past your first page of apps, and enter in a text fragment in the search field, it WILL search your text messages (along with everything else). Scroll until you see the text message icon in the results, then tap the result you're looking for, and it will take you right to that text message.
This is what I was going to suggest. If you know which message you're looking for, then spotlight will find it for you.
But I agree in thinking that the feature would be better within the messages app. I'm thinking as a pull down on the screen where all the conversations are shown will reveal a search bar (similar to the search within the music app). Then your search results would overlay that as you type. Either tap the message to go to it, or a cancel button in the top corner to retract the results and return you to the list of conversations. That's how I envision that should be. Maybe in iOS 6?

Last edited by Agent-P; Feb 13, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
Agent-P is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 11:03 AM   #11
froobaloops
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
This is what I was going to suggest. If you know which message you're looking for, then spotlight will find it for you.
But I agree in thinking that the feature would be better within the messages app. I'm thinking as a pull down on the screen where all the conversations are shown will reveal a search bar (similar to the search within the music app). Then your search results would overlay that as you type. Either tap the message to go to it, or a cancel button in the top corner to retract the results and return you to the list of conversations. That's how I envision that should be. Maybe in iOS 6?
Actually spotlight is only able to search messages which show up WITHOUT having to hit "load earlier messages". So in the end we are only able to search the last 50 messages of each SMS thread which ends up being quite useless since 50 messages are easy to look through without a search function.
froobaloops is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816

I dont know about the App store, but Google play has a 3rd party app called 'SMS Backup', which is one among many apps which will back up your SMS messages to a folder of your choice on your Gmail account.

Since the texts show up as email messages on gmail, you retain the ability to search through them using the Gmail app.

Surely iphone has something similar?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone