Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclover12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Can I use a mac pro case that is empty to build a Hacintosh. Will it be alot more work than just using a normal case?

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Yes. Have you looked inside a Pro? It uses a compartmentalized dual board system. PC boards are in a single form factor.

maclover12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
I have not been able to look inside of one yet but i am just going to have one motherboard could i still be able to use it? Is there any special parts i need to use if i use that case?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Have you not Googled this? There are a ton of thread by people who have done this with G5 and intel Pro cases. Its possible, but requires quite a bit of work depending on how fancy and nice you want it to look.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
You most likely will need to cut up the motherboard to fit and get some sort of daughter card to place down below. Look at the pics here.
http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html

The mid area with northbridge and PCI slots is that thin space, the bottom heat sinks are where the procs are and they are vertically mounted on a separate PCB.
You could cut up the case to de-compartmentalize the side to slot in an ATX mobo. Who knows what that would do to cooling and noise though.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
So this would be something for someone with alot of computer skills

Most likely but I was in the middle of writing when Ashman70 posted so maybe see what others have done and see what you are comfortable with. Good luck.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
You'd be much better off with a PC case. Lian Li makes some great looking aluminum ATX cases that will fit the components you've chosen.

maclover12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
thanks alot!! I believe after getting an idea in my head i think i can make a sick one

Edge

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2005
Just use the mATX form factor to avoid cutting. There are many people who have done this very successfully on insanelymac etc. Someone has even made custom cables to connect the Mac Pro front panel with typical motherboard ports. The hard drive caddy cabling needs to be adapted, too.

A little research on a few other forums will be far more useful than anything you'll find here.

maclover12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Just use the mATX form factor to avoid cutting. There are many people who have done this very successfully on insanelymac etc. Someone has even made custom cables to connect the Mac Pro front panel with typical motherboard ports. The hard drive caddy cabling needs to be adapted, too.

A little research on a few other forums will be far more useful than anything you'll find here.

How could i avoid cutting by using that motherboard

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Theres plenty of great looking pc cases, some are very similar in style to the mac pro.

Unless you know what your doing when it comes to metalworking i wouldn't bother with a mac pro case. Youd have to gut the inside, drill and tap new mounting holes, alter the back panel and fabricate brackets for holding internal components. Im sure theres plenty more i haven't thought of too.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Theres plenty of great looking pc cases, some are very similar in style to the mac pro.

Can you suggest one or two?

I looked really long and hard for PC case similar to the quality of the MP and never found one. There are a few that are similar superficially, but are of poor quality. I never once found one that had nice, thick, anodized aluminum with a largely tool-less design like the MP case. Almost everything is steel, thin, bends easily, has a plethora of little screws of multiple sizes, has poorly threaded holes, has slightly misaligned pieces, and has internal sheetmetal edges so sharp you can easily cut your hand. There are a few that claim to be thick aluminum but then I find out they are normal thin steel cases that have a thick aluminum plate stuck to the front for cosmetic purposes. Handfuls and handfuls of wires are evident all over the place, unlike the MP.

I found many PC cases that looked great in professional photographs online, Silverstone in particular. But then seeing them in person I discovered they were average cases at best, with a nice front plate (a common theme).

High quality PC cases are extremely, extremely rare (by my definition of quality). There are many expensive high-end PC cases, but high-end does not mean high-quality; instead they have a lot of expensive nonsense like UV or neon lighting, windows, liquid cooling, or other superficial gaudy features.

The one I liked the most (or disliked the least?) was the Thermaltake Level 10, but at $800 (at the time), it exceeded even my extremely generous budget for a PC case ($500). Even today, years later, it is still pushing $600-$700.

As I recall, one of the case designers for Antec said they couldn't sell a case as nice as the MP case for less than $600, and there was no market for PC cases that nice. PCs are entirely about price/performance ratios and getting the best benchmarks for as little as possible. As for quality, it's a race to bottom.

There are reasons why even old G5 cases still sell for good money on Ebay today, while old used PC cases are essentially worthless trash.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Well thats true, you probably wont find a case of the same quality very easily. Lian Li make some cases that are very similar in style to the mac pro, Zalman and nexus also make some with a similar vibe.

HKDesign

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
mac pro case

I have a damaged mac pro case 3.1. Could I use a mac pro g5 case as a replacement? Everything internally works fine it is just the outside of the mac pro case does not look very nice after it was damaged.
Thanks guys!

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I have a damaged mac pro case 3.1. Could I use a mac pro g5 case as a replacement? Everything internally works fine it is just the outside of the mac pro case does not look very nice after it was damaged.
Thanks guys!

No, they're not the same case.

HKDesign

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
mac pro case

Ok..thanks. But do you know where I can buy another mac pro 3.1 case? Is it possible? or should I buy say a mac pro 1.1 and strip it out and replace all of the internals of the 3.1 into it?
Thanks

PulsefusionLLP

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2012
Swapping Mac Pro 3.1 and 4.1 logic boards

We’ve recently attempted to swap logic boards between Mac Pro 3.1 and 4.1 for a client. The Mac Pro 3.1 couldn’t boot up. We suspected it’s the power supply. The client went out and bought a 2nd hand Mac Pro 4.1. We transferred all the airport and Bluetooth cards, RAMs and graphics card over to the Mac Pro 4.1 successfully. The only problem with the MP 4.1 was the casing. It was damaged very badly. The client requested us to try swapping the internals between the 2 MPs. We studied the logic board connectors and both were exactly the same, by looking at the labels on the board itself. The cables were also similarly labelled. The only difference is the RAM bracket mounting. We gamely gave it a try.

After 4 hours of dismantling and assembling, the MP 4.1 casing with MP 3.1 internals couldn’t boot up. The diag LEDs OT A and OT B lights up. After googling a fair bit, we suspected the problem could be the heatsink sensor. We wanted to mount the original MP 4.1 heatsink but it turns out that is the other part that is different from MP 3.1.

It was the same issue with the MP 3.1 with MP 4.1 internals. The diag LEDs OT A and OT B lights up.

We decided to swap back the internals just to be sure we didn’t damage the parts during our dismantling. With all the original parts in MP 4.1, it boots up perfectly. The MP 3.1 still didn’t boot, but we were not surprised. It wasn’t booting up originally, anyway.

Our suspicions included missing screws mounting the logic board and ram brackets that were not present, due to the differences in mounting brackets. Could the screws have a hand in the sensors failing?

We were hoping that there are others out there that have successfully done what we wanted to do and would share what they did to make it right.

Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.