Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
So with the imminent arrival of iPad 3, I thought I'd start an international thread. Feel free to post opinions, information, suggestions, questions etc. that are relevant to the great big world outside the US!

For starters, I want to know if 4G LTE is readily available in your country? For instance in the UK, I don't think there's any plans for a roll-out for a very long time. In fact, the 4G auctions are not due to take place until mid-2012. I have read somewhere that one of the networks (may have been 3) are ready to do a test roll-out in London only but I can't imagine ex-London coverage until late 2013 at the earliest. Similar situation for the rest of Europe. So, clearly 4G LTE will not be a factor in my purchasing decision.

The quad-core processor is all I care about if I am honest.

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Cant wait man , cant wait. I just want a better screen and even longer batt. life.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I won't be buying the 3G version, but am hoping for a 128GB top end wifi only model. Will be pre-ordering from my Apple rep. as soon as the product is announced. I don't do standing in the rein outside a store..:D

eurobum

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2012
I believe 3 in Denmark is already starting to put up LTE cells. That's about the only advantage I can think of living in a tiny, tiny country. Pretty good communicative (and other) infrastructure. Will be getting 3G/4G iPad 3 possibly with the largest HDD.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
I am hoping my local Target store has them for launch day again. Last year I just walked in the next day and picked it up. (Australia) Upgrading to 3G this year. There's no LTE in Australia to my (limited) knowledge.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
BT and everything everywhere have already started a trial in Cornwall for 4G LTE ahead of the auction. This is definitely early days for UK coverage so wont need to consider it for at least another 18 months in my opinion.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/30/lte_trial/

They started in Cornwall? Good grief, why not pick a small area of London or another big city? I was in Cornwall over Christmas and was surprised at the quality of service cover (O2) that I had, but why choose such a quiet place to test it out? I'm sure there must be a reason, perhaps it interferes with normal carrier signals?

harrymomsen

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
Germany
We have already good coverage in Germany - expecting to be about 80 % in end of this year.
And speed ist amazing :) :

159988.jpg

Harry

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
US launch March 7th and UK/Aus/Japan in April according to reports today? That would go against recent launches certainly for UK / Aus launching on the same timelines as the US. Anyone know any different?

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
Given the lack of coverage in most countries, do you think a possible LTE version of the iPad 3 would be sold as a separate SKU from the Wifi+3G models, and even then, only in countries that actually have LTE? - It seems daft to bump up the cost to add a feature that the majority of people won't benefit from.

In any event - looking forward to a possible 128GB model.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Given the lack of coverage in most countries, do you think a possible LTE version of the iPad 3 would be sold as a separate SKU from the Wifi+3G models, and even then, only in countries that actually have LTE? - It seems daft to bump up the cost to add a feature that the majority of people won't benefit from.

I don't think that's the Apple way. Look at thunderbolt for example, they have made it standard on all their mac computer lines (bar the mac pro) and when it launched there were zero devices made for it. Having an LTE machine sort of future proofs you if you care about that sort of thing. Personally speaking, for cost reasons alone I shall be buying a wifi only version

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
The iPhone 4S pre-order worked well as it arrive mid-morning on launch day and didn't have to queue! May do the same again for the iPad 3. Lets hope it is launched on the same day as the US as I sold my iPad 2 and feel bereft without it

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
They started in Cornwall? Good grief, why not pick a small area of London or another big city? I was in Cornwall over Christmas and was surprised at the quality of service cover (O2) that I had, but why choose such a quiet place to test it out? I'm sure there must be a reason, perhaps it interferes with normal carrier signals?

because the trial is with the 800MHz it can interfere with analogue TV signals so they had to choose an area that had already switched to digital.

also the specific trial is to 1. test the 800MHz spectrum and its performance and 2. to assess the feasibility of using LTE as a home broadband replacement in rural areas where getting decent/any broadband from a landline/cable is impossible.

so choosing somewhere like London would have been highly inappropriate.

the LTE trial that is going on in London is using the 2600MHz (that doesn't interfere with analogue TV as London hasn't switched yet) and is to test how LTE copes on that spectrum in an urban environment where the 2600MHz frequency is going to be most widely used.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Could it be that the A5X processor is intended for the Apple TV 3 rather than the iPad 3 and we, in fact, be nicely surprised to see what my wish list has always been, which is quad core A6 processor with increased RAM inside the new iPad? I'd have that instead of retina display any day of the week. Ditto camera, nice but not a deal breaker for me.

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
Could it be that the A5X processor is intended for the Apple TV 3 rather than the iPad 3 and we, in fact, be nicely surprised to see what my wish list has always been, which is quad core A6 processor with increased RAM inside the new iPad? I'd have that instead of retina display any day of the week. Ditto camera, nice but not a deal breaker for me.

Absolutely agree.

Wasn't there something in the iOS development code indicating that the A5X and A6 were being developed at the same time?

A6 would be over-kill for the :apple:TV, but a up-specced A5(X) would be just right, especially if Apple are introducing 1080p content on iTunes.

The leaked photos of the A5X showed something like a heatsink on top of the chip - maybe it's to account for the smaller form factor of the :apple:TV?

We shall see:)

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Absolutely agree.

Wasn't there something in the iOS development code indicating that the A5X and A6 were being developed at the same time?

A6 would be over-kill for the :apple:TV, but a up-specced A5(X) would be just right, especially if Apple are introducing 1080p content on iTunes.

The leaked photos of the A5X showed something like a heatsink on top of the chip - maybe it's to account for the smaller form factor of the :apple:TV?

We shall see:)
Except that - again - we saw a leaked ipad board. It wouldnt fit in a apple tv. Besides it had 2 flash memory chips and that isnt for apple tv anyway.
It could be a prototype, i know. But you all know the chance is very very small that apple would change the a5x.
Its the a5x inside.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
I live in London and sold my 16GB WiFi iPad 2 for £250 which was less than the 275 pounds I was expecting the buyer to have in his hands, but nevertheless its out of my hands and Gumtree is absolutely flooded with iPads. Next week no one will be able to sell an iPad 2 for more than £350 regardless of capacity.

As soon as announced I'll preorder two units from the Apple site or even before hand contact stores I know will get them in stock on launch. One of the units will be sold to cover some of the money I lost on my iPad 2 and the other unit will be kept for personal use.

I absolutely cannot wait, especially since the iPad was my main device and the laptop was just secondary.

iSolidus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
No decent 4G-support here (Netherlands) either, so I don't care about that. Retina and a processor to support it (don't care if it's dual-core or quad-core) is all I'm asking actually.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
To be honest 4G connectivity doesn't bother me much. I mostly use my iPad at work and at home, both of which are locations where I have access to WiFi. My phone has a tethering function which I use whenever I need the iPad to be connected to the web.

So an wifi iPad is perfect for me.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
soooo...what do we think then? Clearly in the UK the LTE is of no interest in this iteration but the retina display looks impressive, if I was a gamer, the upgrade in graphics processing power would be a selling point but have to be honest and say I am on the fence on this...It's tock, not a tick. IMHO

anibalcascais

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2003
Porto, Portugal
does it says anywhere or does anybody know this: when will we be able to preorder (via apple store) the new iPad, for those that live in countries where it will released 23 March (eg. Portugal, Italy,etc...)? Thanks

DoorMouse

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010
Sydney
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.