Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squall Strife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
Hi guys,
next sunday I'll be in New York city for an entire week and I was thinking about buying an unlocked iphone 4s (I'm from Italy so I need the unlocked version).
I've read on various forums that the only way to buy an unlocked Iphone 4s is to reserve it the evening before and then pick it up the next morning at the retail store.
The problem is that from the Apple website, if I choose to reserve the phone, no matter what NYC store I choose it always says unavailable so I can't made the reservation:

iphone4s.jpg

Is it possibile that the unlocked Iphone is unavailable in all NY stores or am I making some mistake? And...can you confirm that the only way to buy the unlocked Iphone 4s is to reserve it the day before?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
supply and demand slowed down. So you dont need to reserve 1 just walk in at an apple store then ask for an unlocked 4s. My dad just bought 2 for some relatives overseas by just walk in at the smallest apple store in htown and they still manage to have a bunch.

Squall Strife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
supply and demand slowed down. So you dont need to reserve 1 just walk in at an apple store then ask for an unlocked 4s. My dad just bought 2 for some relatives overseas by just walk in at the smallest apple store in htown and they still manage to have a bunch.

Thank you...you've been really helpful :)

jamaggic

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
SC, thank God
Since iphones come unlocked in Italy, I'm wondering why you would not just buy it there... since Apple only honors its guarantee in the country in which the iphone is purchased you would be out of luck with a US iphone in Italy if something went wrong with it...

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Since iphones come unlocked in Italy, I'm wondering why you would not just buy it there... since Apple only honors its guarantee in the country in which the iphone is purchased you would be out of luck with a US iphone in Italy if something went wrong with it...

its more expensive in italy (however, they get an extra year of warranty by italian law) and no warranty will MOST LIKELY carry over in italy same as my 32gb iphone 4 factory unlocked bought in france. I got a replacement not too long ago due to the home button here in htown.

Squall Strife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010

In Italy it costs 649,00 € ...in dollars it's 649,00 $ that's quite a difference considering the current change €/$
Besides as far as I know Apple warranty is international, I've got a friend of mine that bought an Iphone 4 last year in San Diego and two months ago Apple replaced his defective unit with a new one without problems ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.