Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3 last weekend. I used the Geektool prefpane forever in 10.6 to put stuff on my desktop.

In preparation for the upgrade to 10.7 I had read that the Geektool prefpane doesn't work in Lion and I needed to get the Geektool app from the Mac App Store instead. So I installed the Geektool app before I did the Lion upgrade (but never ran it).

The upgrade went very smooth, but I figured upon first login I'd get some kind of error about the prefpane and need to start the Geektool app as a login item. However, upon first login, all my Geektool items appeared on the desktop without me starting the app!

So now I'm wondering, was Lion smart enough to disable the prefpane version of Geektool and substitute the app? Or is the old prefpane still working in Lion? Is there an easy way to tell which version is currently being used?

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Wow....over 500 views and no one has an answer....

Anyway - I'll answer myself....

The prefpane version was "kind of" running - existing stuff was on the desktop, but if you tried to edit anything it wouldn't work. Had to delete the prefpane and fire up the app version. Maybe this'll help someone else down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.