Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just as Chinese authorities have indicated that it would be difficult to impose a ban on Apple's iPad over a trademark dispute, Tech in Asia notes that the popular tablet has gone missing from online stores at Amazon China and Suning.com.

amazon_china_no_ipads.jpg

The removal is apparently not, however, the result of a request from Proview Technology, which is laying claim to the iPad trademark and which has been seeking to halt both imports and exports of the device in China. The company's efforts earlier this week resulted in local Chinese authorities seizing a small number of iPads from retailers as others removed their stocks from display to avoid the seizures.

M.I.C gadget reports that the removal of the iPad from sale at Amazon China and Suning.com is actually by Apple's request, although the reasons for the move are not entirely clear.
According to an Amazon China spokesman, the withdrawal is on the notice of Apple and also it's the adjustment on its sales strategy [...]

Meanwhile, Apple has not made any comments on the issue, and Apple's staffs in China refuse to reply too. However, as confessed by the lawyer of Proview, Proview did not apply for the administrative ban on the online sale of iPad in Beijing where Amazon China is located; also he has no idea about Apple's demand for the iPad withdrawal from Amazon China.
The dispute over the iPad trademark in China relates to a deal Apple made with the Taiwanese arm of Proview under which it claims it received the rights to the mark in China. But Proview's Chinese arm has argued that it controls the rights to the trademark in China, and thus Apple's deal with the Taiwanese subsidiary could not have included rights for mainland China. Chinese courts have sided with Proview in the dispute, but Apple is appealing the ruling.

Article Link: Apple Pulls Online iPad Sales from Amazon China for Unknown Reasons

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I imagine this was voluntary from Amazon China in order to avoid any lashing from Proview. This will be temporary once the Chinese authorities iron it all out.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Might this be a way for Apple to get the public to turn on Proview?

If your going to piss off the masses.... best not to have your factories and warehouses in the same country! If I was raising an army of angry pitchfork wielding farmers, storming the Proview buildings would be counter productive, and who wants a ****** monitor with ipad on it. Foxconn factories = profit :) never underestimate the angry mob!

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Might this be a way for Apple to get the public to turn on Proview?

"Apple claims that it purchased the Chinese rights to the trademark several years ago, but the original owner Proview and Chinese courts have disagreed with that assertion. Apple's case is still pending with Chinese courts as it seeks to appeal earlier rulings."

I bolded and underlined it for emphasis.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
They can just change the name to get around this. Lets call it, the MAXiPad!. Oh.....wait.

Please follow @MikeyBrau for all your comedy needs

I think the tables are starting to turn on Apple because people are starting to understand how Apple works as company. sad but true.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Yea, either prep for iPad 3 or/and a warning shot that they might flex muscles pulling the iPad from the Chinese market (at least for 2-3 weeks) until the Government high-ups pull strings because their kids demand that "Daddy party secretary" calls the judges to set them straight. :cool:

Gotta love a banana republic on that scale. (PS: I am not talking about the people, I am talking about the government, no offense!)

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Yea, either prep for iPad 3 or/and a warning shot that they might flex muscles pulling the iPad from the Chinese market (at least for 2-3 weeks) until the Government high-ups pull strings because their kids demand that "Daddy party secretary" calls the judges to set them straight. :cool:

So, if there is demand freo a product it is right to break the laws?

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
So, if there is demand freo a product it is right to break the laws?

I don't say it's right. But didn't Proview Taiwan break the law as well by selling rights they didn't have and aren't they a 100% substity of Proview China?

In other words, let's say Microsoft founds a company called Mircosoft Ltd. and sells patents and names and then claims that the "Ltd." was not having the rights to sell those names and now a few years later sues everyone over that and defaulting their Ltd. - would that be right? Would you argue that a company using the name Excel is at fault because they bought the name from Microsoft Ltd. and "should have known" that they waste their money because Microsoft Ltd. is a sub of Mirocoft Corp. who owns the TM? How does anyone actually know the interna of companies with subs all over the world? You have to trust them when you buy rights.

Last edited:

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
They can just change the name to get around this. Lets call it, the MAXiPad!. Oh.....wait.

Please follow @MikeyBrau for all your comedy needs

Boooooo!!!

lol that "joke" has been rehashed so many times. It was even used a few times in the last proview/iPad thread.

Anyway I do wonder of this is a sort of gamesmanship on Apple's part. I could see that being a possible factor.

hissyfit

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
I am glad I am not living in China. Ha! Ironic, you can make one but you can't have one.

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Then Apple must sue Proview Tawian, don't they?

Or Proview China as their mother company because they are responsible for their substities to some degree - or wait - they could just honor the deal their substity did without the parent company's approval. But that would not entitle them to any royalties - oh wait - they had royalties already - well, no additional royalties then.

On a second thought - you are right: Proview Taiwan would have to pay the "damage" being whatever Proview China gets paid in IOUs which Apple then gives along to Proview China which then has to pay gains tax on it and send the IOUs back to Taiwan so they can pay Apple! Problem fixed and China makes money on the tax side! :D

Last edited:

urbanlung

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
location location, location!
Apple are taking their ball away

If the Chinese authorities don't sort this out in Apple's favour then the iPad buying part of the Chinese public will force the decision back in Apple's favour. I imagine that Apple are gonna play hard on this one because they represent a lot of cash for China that the government won't want to loose. They are calling the Chinese, bluff.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
If the Chinese authorities don't sort this out in Apple's favour then the iPad buying part of the Chinese public will force the decision back in Apple's favour. I imagine that Apple are gonna play hard on this one because they represent a lot of cash for China that the government won't want to loose. They are calling the Chinese, bluff.

So yes, you can break the laws if you have enough money, yap, a good concept of justice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.