Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Pagey
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 Screen replaced - But still not working fully...

Hi,

My friend had a temper tantrum with his girlfriends phone and lobbed it at the wall. I had a look at it, the back cover was cracked and the LCD displayed nothing at all, no backlight, etc. But if I attempted to power it on and then pressed buttons where the locked keys keypad would be it would vibrate after i pressed 4 digits.

My assumption therefore was that the LCD/Backlight had gone and also the rear case/cover needed replacing.

I ordered a replacement screen and back cover which have now turned up.

I fitted the iPhone 4 screen (I've done one sucessfully before) and powered the phone on. It powers on but all I get is a white screen. I can just about make out some lettering. I can do screenshot pictures (quick press on Home button and lock button), lock it and the home button responds. If I attempt to sign into the phone I don't get the silent keys, but button tones as if you were dialling a number. I can only think it isn't registering the side swipe and is instead putting it to the emergency call function? In either case the screen is completely white.

Here's what I have tried so far:
  • Reseated battery
  • Reseated all connections
  • Tried the holding down the lock and home button for 30 seconds
  • Tried a different battery from a known working iPhone 4
  • Tried to look at the phone in iTunes but it says it is locked

I'm out of ideas now, unless the LCD I ordered is faulty?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Pagey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:49 AM   #2
ylerT
macrumors regular

Generally a white screen either means the LCD is faulty or there is damage to the logic board. I rarely get phones in with white screens where it's not just the LCD. However, the way you described the damage, it's very possible that there is a problem with the board.
ylerT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylerT View Post
Generally a white screen either means the LCD is faulty or there is damage to the logic board. I rarely get phones in with white screens where it's not just the LCD. However, the way you described the damage, it's very possible that there is a problem with the board.
+1. My money is on this. Your "friend" more than likely damaged the logicboard. He needs some Anger Management classes as well as an out of warranty replacement for his probably now ex-girlfriend.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Pagey
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Hmm.... well I think she has forgiven him. New baby, sleepless nights, decorating all built up on him!

How frustrating. Looking on eBay the logic boards seem to be quite pricey! Not really worth risking it. I'm amazed that's the case as everything else seems to work, how annoying!

Any ideas why I can't seem to tap in the unlock code? Seems to be defaulting to emergency call keypad when I slide my finger accross the bottom of the screen. Normally you would get 4 digits you can input, and if it is wrong you get the phone vibrate. Currently, it just beeps as if you are typing in a number to dial!

Ideally shewould still like the pictures off of the phone, but as it is iTunes wont connect until it is unlocked, and I can't access the phone in My Computer.

I guess I could try another LCD for him, this one could be faulty but there is no way to tell without getting another one.
Pagey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:09 PM   #5
ylerT
macrumors regular

If you think the digitizer may be working, try taking a working iPhone and setting it up with a password. Then with the two next to each other, you can usually work out where to touch on the broken phone. If the digitizer is working properly, you may be able to at least unlock the phone and back it up to iTunes.

If that's still not working, maybe check the connectors and make sure they are clean. Sometimes dust or debris can get on those LCD/Digitizer connectors and cause a problem. However, like you were thinking, it's possible you may have a bad display. Unfortunately, without having another part to test out, it's impossible to say.
ylerT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone