Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muzik1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I have a 2009 unibody Macbook pro and this week it has started to run slowly.
The main problem is webpages taking ages to load up. These are normal websites that I look at all the time usually without any problem..BBC, Google, Apple as an example. What happens is I click on the bookmark and the address bar changes to that site but the blue bar fills up to about 1/4 and the spinning thing at the end just spins..If I leave it for 5 mins it will eventually load but I have also found clicking stop and reload makes it load quicker.
I have checked the connection and that is fine, speed is the same as it always is. Using the same wifi signal I can get onto them fine with my iphone.
Since I have had this problem I have got the spinning beachball alot more than normal..
The activity monitor does not show up anything hogging the memory. I have 232GB of disk space, Memory is showing free 998MB, Used 787MB.

I would be very grateful for any help or advice to solve this problem

muzik1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply
I have reset safari and emptied cache and cleared cookies already.
Will have a look at the DNS settings to see if that helps

muzik1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Changed the DNS settings and still the same problem..
I have snow leopard on order and then will upgrade to Lion so that may help..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I found the tips page when I did a search on here the other day and still had the problem.
What ad-blockers, extensions or plug-ins do you have installed in your browser? Try disabling all of them and see how the sites load.

muzik1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
What ad-blockers, extensions or plug-ins do you have installed in your browser? Try disabling all of them and see how the sites load.

I do not have any ad-blockers. How do I check extensions and plug ins? I have not installed anything recently

muzik1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
If you're running Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
For plug-ins, go to Safari > Help > Installed Plug-ins.

No extensions.
Plug-ins are
Div X Webplayer
Facebook Video calling
iPhotoPhotocast
Quartz composer
Quicktime
Silverlight
Switchable Java for webkit
Verified download

Are they normal plug ins? Cannot see how to disable them though

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No extensions.
Plug-ins are
Div X Webplayer
Facebook Video calling
iPhotoPhotocast
Quartz composer
Quicktime
Silverlight
Switchable Java for webkit
Verified download

Are they normal plug ins? Cannot see how to disable them though
I don't use the Facebook Video calling, but I know the others are normal. You could try removing that one, to see if it helps. However, based on what you posted, I don't think your problem is there. How to Remove Safari Plug-ins

Based on what you've said, I see no reason why you should still be having this problem, if you've followed all the suggestions accurately. Try resetting your router.

macinslosher

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Same problem on macbook pro running 10.5.8 osx

I have this exact problem. Slow initial page loads. I've tried everything that I can find: DNS numbers. switched internet providers. upgraded to mac airport extreme router. replaced the airport card twice (Neither one of the replacements worked long term so I put the original back in. Both replacements would drop connectivity after a period of time and could not reconnect without a total computer reset). Resetting safari. Deleting cookies. yada yada... Nothing has made any difference. These are the same fixes that the geniuses at the mac store perform as well. Of course my computer seems to function perfectly at the macstore so I don't feel like they take the problem seriously. My theory is that their internet service is fast enough that whatever is holding me back isn't noticeable. Not a great theory I know. I'm also running bootcamp which allows me to surf using the windows platform and ironically surfing on IE on the windows platform seems to be faster. I've been dealing with this for years and I'm beginning to think that there is some deeper rooted flaw in the osx that's causing the problem. I'm really at a loss how to proceed. Anybody with a miracle cure? Other than a new computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.