Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benbuhagiar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Hello ladies and gents,

I have a September 2010 Macbook Pro 13". I have spilt some liquid on the right hand side of my macbook. The macbook works fine, however the right hand buttons on the keyboard have lost their spring.

I do have applecare, but as it's liquid damage, I don't think it will be covered.

What are my options?

Thanks

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
I think it's only AppleCare Plus that covers accidental damage.

The genius bar would probably take a look at it for you and at least give you an indication of any cost. I would expect a preferential cost if you already have cover.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I think it's only AppleCare Plus that covers accidental damage.

Yup, Applecare+ does cover accidental damage, but it's only available on iPhones, not MBPs.

OP, if I were you I'd take it in to Apple, be honest about what happened and see what they do. Good luck!

o.neill.kid

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2009
Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Hello ladies and gents,

I have a September 2010 Macbook Pro 13". I have spilt some liquid on the right hand side of my macbook. The macbook works fine, however the right hand buttons on the keyboard have lost their spring.

I do have applecare, but as it's liquid damage, I don't think it will be covered.

What are my options?

Thanks

When I had spilled pop on my keyboard, everything worked but the keys as you said lost their spring / got stuck sometimes. I went into the Genius bar and he just cleaned up the few keys that had the issue, no questions asked. Works fine, your alternative is to pay for the top case replacement which could be between $200 and $900 (the quote I got.) Good luck.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
A keyboard is relatively difficult to replace, but the keyboard itself is cheap on iFixit. I tore my Mac down, and there were like 96 little screws holding the keyboard in place. You also have to remove the SuperDrive and the logic board to access the keyboard. I'm not sure why you would need a top case replacement, as anything connected to the top case (speakers, keyboard, trackpad) can be replaced with a bit of work.

benbuhagiar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
Just been quoted £146.40 for parts and labour. I can't really justify it for 3/4 keys which are bit stiff. I'd rather put that money towards an iPad 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.