Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
jrhyett05
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Multiple iPad/usb power strip

I am looking for some sort of a power strip that can plug multiple high output usb devices into.

I just rearranged my living room and have all my devices at one location for charging... however it takes a full powerstrip to fit 4 charging bricks

As it is now, I have my MacBook, and iPad 2, a Kindle and both iPhones to charge.. I have been looking for a simple USB power strip (hub) that I can power through an AC outlet and get 2a from multiple ports at the same time... I can't find anything

The best I can find are some charges that have 4 ports and a total of 2a output, most can dedicate the 2a to a single port, but once you plug a second device, the draw splits.
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Adapter-Charger-shuffle-classic/dp/B0052RM8T2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1329338245&sr=8-10

Or a single charger that has 2 2ax5v ports, but it's rather bulky and only allows 2 ports
http://www.amazon.com/IPAD-2USB-High-Power-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B001QVHO38/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1329338331&sr=8-5

Neither is ideal, as the Kindle and iPad both need more than .5 amp, and I'm sure other devices are only going to need more amps in the future.

Is there anything out there that I am missing?

I would love to find a 10 port usb power strip (just like an AC power strip) that offers multiple dedicated 2a ports.... one can dream
jrhyett05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhyett05 View Post
I am looking for some sort of a power strip that can plug multiple high output usb devices into.

I just rearranged my living room and have all my devices at one location for charging... however it takes a full powerstrip to fit 4 charging bricks

As it is now, I have my MacBook, and iPad 2, a Kindle and both iPhones to charge.. I have been looking for a simple USB power strip (hub) that I can power through an AC outlet and get 2a from multiple ports at the same time... I can't find anything

The best I can find are some charges that have 4 ports and a total of 2a output, most can dedicate the 2a to a single port, but once you plug a second device, the draw splits.
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Adapter-Charger-shuffle-classic/dp/B0052RM8T2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1329338245&sr=8-10

Or a single charger that has 2 2ax5v ports, but it's rather bulky and only allows 2 ports
http://www.amazon.com/IPAD-2USB-High-Power-Adapter-Compatible/dp/B001QVHO38/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1329338331&sr=8-5

Neither is ideal, as the Kindle and iPad both need more than .5 amp, and I'm sure other devices are only going to need more amps in the future.

Is there anything out there that I am missing?

I would love to find a 10 port usb power strip (just like an AC power strip) that offers multiple dedicated 2a ports.... one can dream
Is this an option for you?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EOJ7Y/...SIN=B0002EOJ7Y
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:50 PM   #3
jrhyett05
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Thanks for the link, those never came up in my searches.

Not really ideal for my current situation, I have everything atop a ~4' tall dresser I converted to an entertainment center, so the reach to the outlets wouldn't work. Also I really need 5+ ports. My goal is to be able to keep my bricks available for travel use, and have a permanent all usb solution for charging. I'll look for other receptacle options though, ideally an ac receptacle with 5 usb ports only would do (i don't need the ac outlets), I could just add an outlet box to my entertainment stand.

edit: Per their website they provide
Quote:
•2.4A-5V USB 3.0 Power Ports @ 2400 mA (total)
which seems to me it would only provide 1.2a to each iPad if both plugged in at the same time.


But I have saved this to my wish list, as I might put one of these in my bedroom, as it would clear up a lot of clutter behind my bed.

Last edited by jrhyett05; Feb 15, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
jrhyett05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4
OneLastCast
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Jrhyett05, I've seen the exact product you're looking for! It's called the PowerPad16 and it supplies 2.1A to multiple ports at the same time. This product is made by Datamation Systems, which makes really high quality products at good price points. Here's the link: http://www.ipadcarts.com/solutions/DS-IP-PP16.htm Hope this helps!
OneLastCast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Lorskyfink
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I saw this in skymall

I haven't tried it yet, but am very tempted.

http://www.aviiq.com/pages/portable-charging-station

15 watts so it can, supposedly, power iPads with other devices.
Lorskyfink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Mactagonist
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC - Manhattan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLastCast View Post
Jrhyett05, I've seen the exact product you're looking for! It's called the PowerPad16 and it supplies 2.1A to multiple ports at the same time. This product is made by Datamation Systems, which makes really high quality products at good price points. Here's the link: http://www.ipadcarts.com/solutions/DS-IP-PP16.htm Hope this helps!
I would love one of those. But not for $700.
Mactagonist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:27 PM   #7
B2FiNiTY
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
http://linxconn.com/index-235-1.html


this company has a four port usb AC wall charger, each usb port outputs 2.1A.

Saw it awhile back during an exhibition. They also have a few other different styles with the same function.

they are the OEM for this one:

www.kanexlive.com
B2FiNiTY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:27 PM   #8
jrtdot
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorskyfink View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but am very tempted.

http://www.aviiq.com/pages/portable-charging-station

15 watts so it can, supposedly, power iPads with other devices.
That looks amazing! I wonder if anyone has this also?
jrtdot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Visualedtech
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northwest, NJ
New 8 USB Power strip in development

I am awaiting delivery of an 8 outlet USB power strip. The manufacturer claims that each USB port will deliver 5V at 2.1A.
The product is undergoing UL review prior to importation into the US.
I expect the pricing to be about $150.00. Once the units pass UL review and I have a final landed cost, they will be available in the US.
John J Caprice
Visualedtech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:49 AM   #10
Iamgort
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
necro on this thread slightly.....has anybody found a usb power strip/hub that can charge the new ipad along with phones, etc and not get the "not charging" to show up on the new iPad? It is so frustrating dealing with that...
Iamgort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:24 AM   #11
Lehcim
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
I'm also looking for a similar product, did anyone get the Aviiq one?
__________________
Mac Mini 2012 + Thunderbolt Display
MBA 2012 13" 8Gb
New iPad 16G Cellular / iPhone5 16Gb
Apple TV3
Lehcim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:37 AM   #12
B2FiNiTY
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamgort View Post
necro on this thread slightly.....has anybody found a usb power strip/hub that can charge the new ipad along with phones, etc and not get the "not charging" to show up on the new iPad? It is so frustrating dealing with that...
see my post above
B2FiNiTY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Iamgort
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2FiNiTY View Post
see my post above
Maybe I'm just missing it but I don't see anywhere I can actually order from linxconn
Iamgort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:46 AM   #14
B2FiNiTY
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
sorry about that... there are going to be a few more companies selling their products in the next coming months but the only one at the moment in the US is the KANEX SYDNEE
B2FiNiTY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Visualedtech
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northwest, NJ
8 USB Power Strip Coming Slowly

I have been in contact with an Asian manufacturer. They make an 8 outlet USB powerstrip that provides 2.1A x 5 volt at each USB.
These strips are still being tested by the proper agencies and awaiting approval for import into the US.
Once I receive my samples and they pass my testing, I'll try to get these on the market. They look great, if they work, then I'll bring them in.
John J Caprice
Visualedtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:24 PM   #16
davelondon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualedtech View Post
I have been in contact with an Asian manufacturer. They make an 8 outlet USB powerstrip that provides 2.1A x 5 volt at each USB.
These strips are still being tested by the proper agencies and awaiting approval for import into the US.
Once I receive my samples and they pass my testing, I'll try to get these on the market. They look great, if they work, then I'll bring them in.
John J Caprice
Hi! Any update on this? Do you know any of the specs? Dimensions? Weight?

I'm desperate for an 8 x USB charger to charge all my gadgets while I'm travelling...
davelondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:01 PM   #17
ssoltero
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Another potential solution for you...

I'm sure you've gotten something by now, but just in case you are interested in this later. We use these at work and they are sweet!

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/sat...ntrol-switches
ssoltero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:05 PM   #18
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoltero View Post
I'm sure you've gotten something by now, but just in case you are interested in this later. We use these at work and they are sweet!

http://www.satechi.net/index.php/sat...ntrol-switches
I really doubt that this would be of use to the OP (and not just because the thread is a year old). They needed charging capability, whereas this unit would be limited by whatever USB port it is plugged into. At best, that whole strip would charge one iPad, but only if it were plugged into an iPad wall charger.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:07 PM   #19
whosnut
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Riverside, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ61 View Post
I really doubt that this would be of use to the OP (and not just because the thread is a year old). They needed charging capability, whereas this unit would be limited by whatever USB port it is plugged into. At best, that whole strip would charge one iPad, but only if it were plugged into an iPad wall charger.

Regards,
Tom
May not help the OP, but I could use one! Actually, I'm looking for 3.0 and they have a 10-port on their site but it's sold out. I emailed them to see when it would be back in stock.
whosnut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:04 PM   #20
innocented
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I will bring this back again
I don't need 12 ports, but having even 6 that are fully powered enough to charge the new iPad each would be fantastic!

Any ideas that are at least sub-$100? I have been looking everywhere.
innocented is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:07 AM   #21
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030
 
CylonGlitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocented View Post
Any ideas that are at least sub-$100? I have been looking everywhere.
I am also looking for the same thing. In my home we have 2 iPhones, 2 Kindles, 2 iPads, and 2 non-smart phones that charge via USB. Our normal charging area has 4 plugs all with USB adapters in them, but I could really use something with 8 USB ports.

Most USB hubs will NOT work because they don't provide power to the USB port until it has been enumerated by a computer.

Anyway, if anyone finds something that looks good, please let me know. Since my location for charging is our kitchen counter, thus if it LOOKS nice that would be good as well.

For Now, I'm considering the 2 USB port / plug combos. It would give me 4 plugs, 4 USB ports . . . I could use more but that would be better than what I have now.
__________________
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:46 AM   #22
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I finally solved my problem like so:





Here's how:

1. Make yourself a woodworking shop. Your basement or garage stall will do in a pinch.
2. Buy lots of tools to fill your shop.
3. Become proficient at woodworking.
4. Bang out this little project.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2013, 03:24 AM   #23
intextra29
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
I am also looking for the same thing. In my home we have 2 iPhones, 2 Kindles, 2 iPads, and 2 non-smart phones that charge via USB. Our normal charging area has 4 plugs all with USB adapters in them, but I could really use something with 8 USB ports.

Most USB hubs will NOT work because they don't provide power to the USB port until it has been enumerated by a computer.

Anyway, if anyone finds something that looks good, please let me know. Since my location for charging is our kitchen counter, thus if it LOOKS nice that would be good as well.

For Now, I'm considering the 2 USB port / plug combos. It would give me 4 plugs, 4 USB ports . . . I could use more but that would be better than what I have now.
Not sure if you've found a solution yet, but there is a 6 port solution (brand name is called BlueKi, SKU#BK32308) that outputs 2.1A per port, 8A total shared. I found this site selling them, but can also be found elsewhere http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/POWER-USB-AC-6. It includes a 6 foot power cord so you can place it on your kitchen counter. Not exactly 8 ports like you wanted, but pretty close.
intextra29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2013, 06:59 AM   #24
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040
 
Zmanbaseball2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York, USA
Multiple iPad/usb power strip

Get 2 of these:
BolseŽ NewPower 40W (5V/8A) 5-Port USB Wall/Desktop charger for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Tab, and Android Devices
http://amzn.com/B00FQVNYR4
This is very powerful.
Did not realize this is an old thread.
__________________
-iPhone 5 16GB Black; iPod Touch 5 32GB Blue; iPad 1 Wifi 64GB; iPad Air 32GB Wifi White
-MacBook 2.2GHz Mid 2014

Last edited by Zmanbaseball2; Dec 3, 2013 at 07:05 AM.
Zmanbaseball2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 08:10 AM   #25
shalliday
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
While not a power strip, you could also buy one or more Sanctuary4 Charging Stations from BlueLounge. I prefer these to using power bars because they do a much better job of cable management and where it offers a very clean decorative design, can be placed anywhere for easy access (no bending down searching for the right cable). We use one in our living room as a centrally located charging dock for all of our devices, including a Garman GPS.
__________________
2011 Mac Mini, i7 Quad, 2.0 GHz, Samsung Po 512GB, 16GB Ram; Thunderbolt Display; AirPort Extreme AC; 3TB Time Capsule; 2 Synology NAS 1511+; 4 ATV's; iPad Air 128GB; iPad2 64GB; 2 iPhone 4's; Nano
shalliday is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad: Power Strip with USB? PTVMan iPad Accessories 2 Apr 18, 2014 05:25 PM
iPad Mini: Apple bringing back the 10W USB Power Adaptor with the Retina iPad Mini Ryox iPad 7 Oct 23, 2013 09:44 AM
Any Issue With Turning Off Power Strip? bsbeamer Mac Pro 5 Jun 22, 2013 05:00 AM
USB Hub for charging iPad 3 enough power? Bez59 iPad 0 Oct 27, 2012 03:58 PM
Does iPad 4 come with 12w USB Power Adapter? insimbi iPad 7 Oct 27, 2012 09:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC