Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
I thought these policies were only for cheap, the more I screw you the better I am type of businesses.

When one subscribes at the $49.99 rate to .Mac, the account is set up to automatically renew after one year at the ongoing rate of $99.99. I am sure this is written somewhere in the "agreement" however it must be pretty nicely hidden in some fine fine print. IN ANY CASE, when the rate DOUBLES (I don't care it is a special offer, twice is twice, period), it should be made SUPER clear that such option exists and one must be asked to chose in the first place.

It is a trap, no way out, no other possible interpretation, especially considering the doubling of the price. First come in for "cheap" (relatively speaking) then .... Apple is guranteeing itself a huge number of subscription renewals because the majority of people will not realize this except for when they get their credit card bill - ooooops too late :)

Geeee, american capitalism is starting to worry me - well it already worries me.

Apple, I know everyone is dying to make a buck these days, especially in this industry, but this really shocked me.

Thanks to Ricardo for his post on this at xr8yourmac.com. I rushed to my account and unchecked the auto renew option. I will consider it then.

Your thoughts are welcome !

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I'm not surprised one bit. Some people would say it's just a convenience but I say it's just a surreptitious way to make sure they suck another $99 out of these poor people come this time next year. (No offense to anyone who actually subscribed to .Mac :p)

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Jesus guys, welcome to the world of business.

I wish people would just get past the whole .Mac thing. If you don't like the way it operates, don't use it. Apple don't need you to make .Mac survive and no matter how much you bitch and complain, nothing is going to change.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
dudes,
convenience as opposed to what ? like for ex. receiving an email near the expiration of the account to ask whether one would like to renew is "Not convenient" ? You are only thinking of yourself, clearly $99/yr does not make a difference at all to you.
But the whole point of the $49.99 offer is to let people evaluate the product and decide - I and most people are sufficiently intelligent to do that, Apple does not need to decide for us, thx.

And the other top brain comments.... it is a business of course, look at what is going on with corporate america - right, it is business. I heard tons of record bankruptcies, did you not ? And where did I claim that my business matters to Apple (such an idiotic statement from all angles!!!! ahahahahah) ? And where did I say that I dislike .Mac hence would not renew ? I was commenting on a practice related to a product not on the product itself. Pay attention when you read.

Finally my point, since you did not get it: warn people of the hidden clause, since I am sure the majority will want to uncheck the renew option, like myself (and believe me $99 ain't the point for me either). I will make my decision once I feel the product is giving me what I like.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Well, what if you buy the shrinkwrapped version of .mac? Do you have to enter a credit card number to use whatever is in the box?

I personally don't care about the autorenewal thing. I remember quite well that I was told that they were going to do that. I remember them letting me know how much it would cost next year.

You can go to http://www.mac.com -> Account -> Billing and Subscription settings, and even turn it off. It will tell you how much it will cost to renew minus taxes and rebates. this is probably a good thing, since if you move, your taxes would possibly change, not to mention that it allows apple the chance to offer you a special deal to renew.

I am sure that people will always be able to find something to whine about when money is involved. I am sorry for people who find Apple's decisions with .mac to not fit with their needs or desires. I am perfectly happy with this service, so much so that I would get my wife an account if she would switch to a mac

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
Peter,
your observations understood.
I am happy with .Mac also (I wished I used more though, but that is me !) however with the exception of the auto renewal, which in my case I feel was not made clear when I renewed my subscription.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
I've been sitting here trying to think of a service I'm subscribed to that does not auto-renew, and I can't think of one. Like any other responsible provider, they have a little checkbox on the billing page. If you're all uptight about the auto-renewal, go uncheck that box. Problem solved. I'm not unchecking it, personally.

Actually, though, you really won't have a very good case to claim that they're trying to "trap" you for about eleven months. I'm betting I'll get a message in early September telling me that my expiration date is approaching and that my account will be auto-renewed at that time unless I go uncheck the box, just like I'm betting you'll get a message reminding you your account will expire unless you enable auto-renew or manually extend it.

If they don't send out messages like that, then come back and rant about Apple pulling a fast one on their .mac subscribers and we'll have something to talk about. For the moment you're just borrowing problems.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
ok Gelfin - I guess I will put it in iCal !!!!! (not joking at all).
And rest assured, I have already unchecked mine because I have no doubts in the world that Apple, in this case will remind me, plenty in advance, plenty of times, that my account is about to expire. I shall decide then, no need whatsoever to do so now. Especially no need for Apple to decide for me, doh !

I will however be shocked (happily) if Apple will send reminders to those who have automatic renew on, as you suggest (what is the point of the "auto" renewal otherwise ? ehehehe).

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
slightly off topic...

I was wondering if anyone else who was an iTools user, get OVERCHARGED when they first signed up, then Apple sent an email saying they would refund the 50 bucks. I signed up at $49.95, then got an email saying they charged me the full $99.95. I wasn't particularly mad, but I wanted to know if this happened to anyone else. What if they did that to everyone in order to boost their revenue for the .mac deadline to make it look like they go more. Again, I'm a paranoid freak and question everything, so I could just be ranting.

p.s. - I think the auto renewal is a bit shady. The "projected" renewal price was $99.95 too. Unless more features come, I'm falling back to my earthlink email.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Jager
Well, All I can say is .Mac is a ripoff. Thus I'm attempting to step up to the plate that the free acounts left with http://www.northernswamp.com, like .mac we have a free level. and paying levels, well... I'll leave it up to you to decide.

All I have to say to people who just sput out that .Mac is a rip off is "prove it"

Sounds like someone is looking for a little more commission

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Sorry but when I signed up it said it was 49.95 for the first year and that it would be 99.95 for every year after that. Also it did say something about it automatically being charged to your card or whatever. As with other Apple things I'm sure they would shoot you an email before the auto renew happened.

Get off you horse and move on to a topic that matters. If you don't like .Mac don't use it. If you don't like Apple don't buy from them.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
The only package that they have that can be half compared to Apple's is $107.88 per year

250MB, .com, 10 email @northernswamp

While those features are greater than those with Apple, you are paying more and getting less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.