Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Hidden folder on hard drive ($RECYCLE.BIN)?

I've got a external hard drive in my car which I have a bunch of music files that my cars audio system plays.

When browsing the file structure I have a folder that shows up while it's plugged in to the car but its not showing up when I plug it into the MBP.

I've done some file searches and it comes back with no results or the file can't be found. I know its some kind of folder that Windows makes but I want to get rid of it so it doesn't show up in the folder list in the car.

These are the hidden files that show up when I do a search on the hard drive for hidden files:

.Trashes
.DS_Store
.DS_Store
.DS_Store
.iTunes Preferences.plist
.Spotlight-V100

I guess I can get rid of these files/folders because the car doesn't need them or does my MBP/iTunes need them, what do ya think?

Ideas?
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:31 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
I've got a external hard drive in my car which I have a bunch of music files that my cars audio system plays.

When browsing the file structure I have a folder that shows up while it's plugged in to the car but its not showing up when I plug it into the MBP.

I've done some file searches and it comes back with no results or the file can't be found. I know its some kind of folder that Windows makes but I want to get rid of it so it doesn't show up in the folder list in the car.

These are the hidden files that show up when I do a search on the hard drive for hidden files:

.Trashes
.DS_Store
.DS_Store
.DS_Store
.iTunes Preferences.plist
.Spotlight-V100

I guess I can get rid of these files/folders because the car doesn't need them or does my MBP/iTunes need them, what do ya think?
Everything but the .plist can be deleted. The .plist may be important, as it contains iTunes preferences.

.Trashes
Quote:
Under Mac OS X, when a file is deleted in Finder, it is moved to a .Trashes folder, and when viewing the device's available space the space occupied by the deleted files is shown as occupied.
.DS_Store
Quote:
.DS_Store (Desktop Services Store)[1] is a hidden file created by Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X operating system to store custom attributes of a folder such as the position of icons or the choice of a background image.
Spotlight-V100 and Trashes Folders On USB Flash Drives
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Imola Ghost
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Thanks for that information but....do you have any information on the $RECYCLE.BIN folder that shows up only while the external hard drive is plugged in to the car?

That's the one I really want to get rid of, the Apple files are hidden so I don't see them in the cars file/folder structure.
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:40 PM   #4
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)
 
grapes911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Citizens Bank Park
I believe $RECYCLE.BIN is the Windows equivalent of .Trashes.
__________________
grapes911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
Thanks for that information but....do you have any information on the $RECYCLE.BIN folder that shows up only while the external hard drive is plugged in to the car?
I didn't see it on your list (only in the thread title), but grapes911 is right. It's a Windows file and has nothing to to with Mac OS X.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Imola Ghost
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Yeah, I know it's a Windows folder...I sometimes (rarely) plug it in to Bootcamp or it may be just plugged in while I restart the computer to boot to bootcamp and I don't use it on the Windows side.

How can I find and delete that folder? It is just not showing up on the Mac side.
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:46 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
Yeah, I know it's a Windows folder...I sometimes (rarely) plug it in to Bootcamp or it may be just plugged in while I restart the computer to boot to bootcamp and I don't use it on the Windows side.

How can I find and delete that folder? It is just not showing up on the Mac side.
To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
killall Finder
To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
killall Finder
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:56 PM   #8
Imola Ghost
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
That did it. It showed all of the files including the Windows folders/files.

Wonder how come when I did a search from the search button and have it show all hidden files/folders the $RECYCLE.BIN folder didn't show up but the Apple files/folders did?
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:57 PM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
That did it. It showed all of the files including the Windows folders/files.

Wonder how come when I did a search from the search button and have it show all hidden files/folders the $RECYCLE.BIN folder didn't show up but the Apple files/folders did?
Probably because Spotlight hadn't indexed the drive.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Imola Ghost
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Ok, Thanks!
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is there a $RECYCLE.BIN in my downloads folder? KuniaKid MacBook Pro 0 Nov 9, 2013 05:49 PM
I want to restore _windowserver file I put into recycle bin using single user mode Blueguy6123 MacBook 2 Nov 3, 2013 04:04 PM
General: iOS7 Recycle Bin idea moonman239 iOS 7 10 Jun 27, 2013 03:27 PM
iTunes - 'Move to recycle bin' instead of 'Keep file'? blizeH iOS 5 and earlier 5 Aug 17, 2012 03:44 PM
Missing hard drive space after empty Trash bin? BB.King MacBook Pro 2 Jul 25, 2012 01:16 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC