Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:53 PM   #1
lissalou205
macrumors newbie

Does AppleCare cover water damage??

So on Sunday, while I was getting ready in the morning I accidentally spilt some water onto my touchpad while my hair dripping on it (so it wasn't much). Usually when this happens I just quickly clean it up and get on with my life. Well this time I didn't see it until 5 min. later & then I cleaned it up, shut my laptop, and finished getting ready. Later that day when I went to go write my 4 page research paper due the next day, the curser was like a ghost and was moving across the screen & my documents and windows in safari were suddenly getting zoomed in when I wasn't touching it!! And it occasionally switches to the screen with the calendar, calculator, & world clock. I don't know what to do! My laptop is only 6 months old and I'm a college kid so I am broke so I'm hoping that AppleCare covers it or something because if not idk what I'm gonna do! I have an appt. with the Genius Bar Friday & I'm hoping for the best but seriously thinking about the worse! Any advice or answers???
lissalou205 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:57 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

No, it doesn't. In fact, water damage voids your warranty and AppleCare. The warranty and AppleCare only cover manufacturing defects, not damage from accidents or normal wear.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
tarponbeach
macrumors member

I purchased my warranty from Square Trade, which covers such accidental damage, in lieu of Apple Care's policy.
tarponbeach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:23 PM   #4
iLukeJoseph
macrumors regular

Sorry if this sounds mean. But you said " Usually when this happens". You do know water + electronics don't mix at all correct?

I would let it air dry for a day or two, and if you are really lucky everything will be fine. If not, you can also be lucky in that it may just be the trackpad (easy and cheap enough to replace). If some how that water got onto the logic board it is going to be $$$$$.

And please don't take it in and play "dumb" (as in, act like you have no idea what happened). AppleCare is pretty dang cost effective for what it is, and by making false claims will only raise the price for everyone else.

Good luck!
iLukeJoseph is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro