Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
To me it looks pretty nice, and it seems slimmed down so all the people complaining that Lion is too bloated, maybe Mountain Lion will be the answer.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Mountain Lion is the new "Social" OS. All the reviews thus far have only highlighted the iOS features. I'm waiting to see if:

1.) Mission control is still "missing" control.
2.) Versions can be turned off.

I could live with all the extraneous iPad crap as long as I can turn it off as well.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Why are they pushing out a new one before quashing the bugs in the old one?
Is it that the design philosophy behind Lion was found to be flawed, and they started over on a better base, or are they just skipping forward to wallpaper over Lion's problems? Option two seems more likely from what I've read so far.

To me it looks pretty nice, and it seems slimmed down so all the people complaining that Lion is too bloated, maybe Mountain Lion will be the answer.

How would you say it is slimmed down? Honest question, not disagreeing.

What they really need to slim down is iTunes. Doesn't seem like that has been changed a whole heck of a lot. Divide it into multiple apps or something.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
it's great in a sense; iOS and OS X are on a collision course, and at some point, it will all be one system.

still... as a (freelance) mac tech for over a decade...most people (in my experience) don't care about the OS. they want to go to Facebook, check email.
surf the web. shop. watch a movie, listen to music. work on their resumes.

my clients in lion don't use mission control, launchpad.

so my feeling is...the os should be fast, light. stable. so we can do the things we want (web, email, work) and NOT be distracted by eye candy and gimmicks.

end rant.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
No support for my white MacBook 2007 :'(

However, it has had a good life :) And Mountain Lion doesn't offer any new stuff that I'm really interested in. So it'll be ok to stick with Lion anyway.

Edit: Really, I've looked into it more and I'm underwhelmed.. Notes and Reminders are listed as one of the 8 major features... And twitter... seriously???

iCloud is present in Lion as well. Only thing is the notification center, that'll be a good (and better) replacement for Growl I think.

Last edited:

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Get the current best MBP, stick Snow Leopard on it and ride that train for as long as possible, wait for 10.9 and if it's still the same garbage as 10.7/8 see what other opportunities are out there.

Maybe Windows and Avid will treat me better then Lion/variants and FCPX.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Does anyone know if you can keep the "regular" view in Mail in Mountain Lion? I really don't like the iPad-style way of Mail, I prefer to use the classic view.

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
wait for 10.9 and if it's still the same garbage as 10.7/8 see what other opportunities are out there.
I think what you see in 10.8 is pretty much all the evidence you need to realize that 10.9 will only be more of the same. :) (And 11.0 and 11.1... etc.)

Maybe Windows and Avid will treat me better then Lion/variants and FCPX.

Yep. I live in corporate America and sadly that's a PC world. I've got maybe another year in OSX and then I'll see how well the PC laptop makers have done in copying Apple build standards. (They haven't done it yet. :( )

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Personally, there is nothing mentioned so far that interests me but we'll see what happens as the year moves along.

I still find many bugs in Lion that I hope Apple will fix before they move to ML.

I'm still interested in Windows 8 so I think this year will be great for consumers look at the tech landscape.

-P

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Starter, you may want to use the

Damers

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Mountain Lion is the new "Social" OS. All the reviews thus far have only highlighted the iOS features. I'm waiting to see if:

1.) Mission control is still "missing" control.
2.) Versions can be turned off.

I could live with all the extraneous iPad crap as long as I can turn it off as well.

I'd be interested in this as well.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I'd be interested in this as well.

same here. mission control is literally the only reason i havent upgraded to lion, and now it looks like ill just be skipping straight to mountain lion, only if they changed mission control.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I am simply amazed at all the crap the reviewers are bogging down on. The Note pad and reminder apps are now separate. :D

Airplay mirroring looks promising though. No more HDMI/Audio cables for my 42" Visio. (With an Apple TV purchase of course for the low... low price of... :))

I'm sure there are tons of things in ML when it's time to have fun. Unfortuanately, a lot of the things I need to do on my machine aren't chatting, gaming, tweeting and browsing. :(

it's great in a sense; iOS and OS X are on a collision course, and at some point, it will all be one system.

still... as a (freelance) mac tech for over a decade...most people (in my experience) don't care about the OS. they want to go to Facebook, check email.
surf the web. shop. watch a movie, listen to music. work on their resumes.

my clients in lion don't use mission control, launchpad.

so my feeling is...the os should be fast, light. stable. so we can do the things we want (web, email, work) and NOT be distracted by eye candy and gimmicks.

end rant.

soooo....... Chrome OS? That's what I'm hearing.

No support for my white MacBook 2007 :'(

Awww... Where does it list support? I have a late 2007 Macbook. I was planning to upgrade this summertime with the new line of MBA anyway, so I guess it was meant to be...

Will there be a price to upgrade to ML?

No pricing details, but probably. Although realistically I could see them being free similar to iOS... But most likely the price will be somewhere in the $10-$29 range.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Someone in charge at Apple is confused at what an OS is... these are all things that were already there and these are all Apps... doesn't have much to do with the actual Operating System... it seems like Apple thinks "Themes" are the new OS upgrade.

Edit: I take that back... GateKeeper seems like an OS change, but I think the only reason they bothered is because its one step closer to forcing developers to use the Mac App Store so Apple can make more money off of them.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm not really impressed with the new OS X, sure it's an improvement over Lion, but I didn't really view Lion as an improvement in the first place... I know that the majority of users will like it but I'm just waiting for more performance oriented upgrades, like what Snow Leopard did to Leopard. When they do that again I'll buy it.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I'm liking some of the features, I hope notifications will be just as good as Growl, love the actual notification sidebar & twitter integration.
Messages look awesome and needed, again AirPlay's so very welcome & needed.

Noticed a few little things you can do, like searching within Launchpad, just open it and type, it then filters the apps.

In the Finder, you can move Devices in the sidebar back up to the top, one of the biggest complains I (and a lot of other people) had.

I don't see any problems with a quicker refresh cycle, I imagine they're just gonna charge a small amount, maybe less than 20 dollars? 9.99? Just to cover the administration cost... ;)

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
It's very good and surprisingly stable, but isn't quite ready for primetime use yet, not that it is meant to be. TBH stick with Lion and if you want to have a play install it on a small partition to try it out. Things like Parallels weren't working for me or was the Airplay function, but no crashes and I like the new Safari a lot! Will defo be having more fun with it while I wait for the real release this summer.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm on lion and I'm fairly happy with it, though I'm not sure what to make ML at this point. Seems like they haven't even addressed the bugs in Lion and we're getting a new OS.

Still its too early to really formulate an opinion given that its barely out to developers never mind users.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I'm liking some of the features, I hope notifications will be just as good as Growl, love the actual notification sidebar & twitter integration.
Messages look awesome and needed, again AirPlay's so very welcome & needed.

Noticed a few little things you can do, like searching within Launchpad, just open it and type, it then filters the apps.

In the Finder, you can move Devices in the sidebar back up to the top, one of the biggest complains I (and a lot of other people) had.

I don't see any problems with a quicker refresh cycle, I imagine they're just gonna charge a small amount, maybe less than 20 dollars? 9.99? Just to cover the administration cost... ;)

thanks for the updates! glad to see that we can move devices back to the top now!

do you have any findings on mission control? i really hope they tweaked it! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.