Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guzzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
I know with iOS updates, it was possible to buy slots on other people's Dev Accounts in order to get the developer betas. Is this also possible with Mac OSX previews? Or do you just have to find the download link or the file and it'll work? Any information would be awesome.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't believe you're supposed to sell slots to others so they can get the beta from your dev account.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I'm really interested in this too. I'd like to hopefully get Mountain Lion by just signing on with a Mac dev because I'd rather not spend another $99 for that license on top of the iOS license.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
People who got caught doing this with iOS had their accounts disabled. I wouldn't really publicly do this. If you got a buddy and want to risk it, whatevs, but I wouldn't do it on a public forum.

Guzzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Yes I know your not supposed to sell slots. Nor are you supposed to buy slots. But I really would like to test out the the new OS and don't really want to spend $100 bucks when I'm not really a developer. I'm asking is it as easy as getting the file and installing or do you have to have a UDID match such as the iOS updates.

lordj4000

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2005
In unfathomable darkness
I'll answer the question asked. No, there aren't slots to buy. Each developer gets a redemption code for the mac app store that is then locked to the apple id he uses. If you were to have a developer friend download it and copy the app to your computer you could use it, there is no check.

That said, this shouldn't even be considered an alpha version, its a preview and in my usage so far, very incomplete. It still uses the lion updates and packages when doing software update. Oh, and technically its probably considered pirating since you won't have a license for it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
As a developer enrolled in previous OS X previews, words of warning. Many preview builds are unstable, requiring clean reinstall. So unless you have a spare Mac, I don't recommend enrolling just for the sake of trying out OS X previews.

End of summer isn't that far away, so just relax and enjoy Messages beta.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Why would you even bother paying for it? Whether you download it or "buy a slot" you are still violating the developer terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.