Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GBrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I recently purchased an iPhone 4 2nd hand. It had a broken screen so i repaired it. I am not new to repairing iPhones and know my stuff, but this one has thrown me. I found that everything was working great, apps worked sound worked and music etc. I was very happy with my purchase until i made my first phone call. Whenever i recieve or make a phone call there is no sound apart from a faint crackling at all. The person on the other end can not hear me ether. It doesn't work when the headphones are in or when it is on load speaker also, which is making me believe it is a software issue, not a hardware issue? I have read that when making calls the phone uses seperate speakers, but surely this wouldn't affect headphones and loud speaker as well?
I have restored many times on 5.0.1 with no luck, rebooted, reset settings and nothing seems to work. There is no way i can downgrade to see if it is software issue :/ I have also replaced the earpiece.
I can't take it to apple because the warrenty has ran out.
If anyone can offer any help it would be greatly appreciated!! :( :rolleyes:

GBrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can nobody offer any advice? :(

normanbates

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2011
What happens when you press the volume keys up and down with no headphones in? Does it display the headphones or the ringer?

It appears that there is an intermittent issue with the 4 that quite a few people have experienced either the same as your problem or similar

GBrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
Well it takes a while to respond but if I have headphones in then it says headphones and if its on speaker then its just ringer, like it should be. I have also now tried ios 5.1 beta 3 but it did not solve the issue?

skit

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
I've had a similar issue. Sent to a repair shop and they said it's the 'Audio Processor'. Supposedly ~80€ and it's a new phone.
But they say they might kill the iPhone during the 'procedure'. Think I'm going to risk it because if I don't it's not an iPhone ... it's an iPod at most.

Night Drake

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
I'm having the same problem. If repairing risks the cost of destroying the iPhone I wouldn't risk it either. But my plan for my iPhone is to turn it into a mobile hotspot. Im going to take a ipad 3G micro sim card and put it into my iPhone and that how I'm going to put my iPhone to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.