Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1
joelovesapple
macrumors 6502a

Should MS be worried about Lion and Mountain Lion combined?

Well, as the title suggests...

What do you think? Do you think they might be feeling confident about Windows 8 taking off, or worried by this *very sudden* news regarding OS X?

Interesting to speculate...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
HabSonic
macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure they don't care about Lion or Mountain Lion. They won the desktop war a long time ago and they will continu to lose marketshare even if they release the best product ever. They do care about missing the mobile transition (if it's not already too late). That's about it imo.
HabSonic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:32 PM   #3
lulla01
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lulla01
Windows 8

I have played with windows 8, if they fix some of the bugs and keep going in the current direction it'll be great. Its the first windows I've used since Windows ME, and I have actually enjoyed it.
lulla01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4
MartiNZ
macrumors 65816

They should only be worried if they triy to copy some of the features. If W8 sports anything like autosave/versions, there is suddenly nowhere left to jump. If they leave those out or make them OPTIONS, which I think MS is likely to allow, then they will just continue to catch the Lion Maligned.
MartiNZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
q64ceo
macrumors regular

No
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:52 PM   #6
outphase
macrumors 65816

Not if people are still buying MS Office.
outphase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:06 PM   #7
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by outphase View Post
Not if people are still buying MS Office.
Agreed about MS Office. Apple needs to somehow make Pages the definitive go to word program, not sure how they could do that though...
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:09 PM   #8
AustinIllini
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
Agreed about MS Office. Apple needs to somehow make Pages the definitive go to word program, not sure how they could do that though...
I'm not even sure Apple is all that interested in that. Pages is the resource for people who just want to type stuff without all the complicated (yet sophisticated) MS Office settings. All the iWork tools have a long way to go (I think catching Excel would be impossible), but they have their niche and they probably aren't a huge money maker for Apple.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:47 PM   #9
bniu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
they could start by adding in equation editor...
bniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:58 PM   #10
nostylluan
macrumors member

you can get ms office for mac. fyi
nostylluan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:48 PM   #11
jackrv
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have both Pages and MS Office 2011. They have overlap, but their default uses are opposite. Pages to me is more like a lite Quark Express (page layout software), while Word is more a functional Word Processor. Both can do either, but Pages shines at layout compared to Word, while Word has processing features such as Track Changes, Document Security, etc...

Pages is fine the way it is. I'd rather have both programs, one that excels at each than one that tries to everything. Pages for creating, Word for collaborating (especially with Windows users).
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:35 AM   #12
abugbitme
macrumors newbie

I think MS has a real problem on their hands. They sell a few categories of products, server OS, client OS, (Do they even have a portable OS? Oh yes they do, it's just not successful.) and a productivity suite. They have lost the all but the first category already whether most people realize it or not. They are in BIG trouble. It could be a stock you could short sell and hold for a long time as they go down the toilet.
abugbitme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:39 PM   #13
bniu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostylluan View Post
you can get ms office for mac. fyi
I have MS Office for mac 2011, but I'd rather do all my work in pages and not have to switch over to Word just to input a few equations...
bniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion