Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
I see what Apple is doing here with Leopard to Snow Leopard, then Lion to Mountain Lion, but I don’t think Mountain Lion really has a good ring to it. I predicted as soon as I heard Lion’s name that the next OS would be Mountain Lion and I don't want Apple to be predictable. Honestly, I think Apple should name 10.8 OS X Cougar. A Cougar is the same animal as a Mountain Lion and would essentially keep the “Tick Tock” strategy still in place, but with a much cooler sounding name.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I see what Apple is doing here with Leopard to Snow Leopard, then Lion to Mountain Lion, but I don’t think Mountain Lion really has a good ring to it. I predicted as soon as I heard Lion’s name that the next OS would be Mountain Lion and I don't want Apple to be predictable. Honestly, I think Apple should name 10.8 OS X Cougar. A Cougar is the same animal as a Mountain Lion and would essentially keep the “Tick Tock” strategy still in place, but with a much cooler sounding name.

I think horse is out of the barn on the Mountain Lion name.

arn

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Obviously, they're not going to change the name to suit anyone's preference. There are dozens of threads discussing possible names for the Mac OS. Apple will use whatever names they choose, despite anything posted in this forum.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I hadn't heard of a mountain lion. When I looked on wikipedia it said it was just another name of a cougar.

Surely apple are now running out of cats.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011

Haha Cougar. Glad they dodged that bullet.

nostylluan

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012
leopard > snow leopard
lion > mountain lion

next OS will be a newer name. this is just an upgrade to lion.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It boggles the mind to read how sensitive many members of this forum are when it comes to model names of devices, or version names of OS's. The arguments and ego wars rage on. Vanity is paramount amongst the Apple community.

I don't care what they call it, I want the excellence of what I KNOW... Apple is capable of, when designing a new OS. Lately it's been a bit discouraging.

Therefore I truly welcome this announcement, and find Mountain Lion a perfectly suitable name.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011

You mean like throwing an "i" in front of everything?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I hadn't heard of a mountain lion. When I looked on wikipedia it said it was just another name of a cougar.

Also Puma, which was already used for 10.1. They never used the cat marketing back then, though--that started with 10.2 Jaguar.

I'm guessing they chose it to give people the impression it's a refined Lion.

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
I hope that you won't still need to have your iOS apps on your Mac as well in order to sync your iOS device. With a "purchased" list on the device App Store I don't understand why it is still needed.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I don't know the next names, but based on the below I predict 2016 is the year iOS and OS X merge.

2012 - iOS 6 & OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
2013 - iOS 7 & OS X 10.9 "Sea Lion"
2014 - iOS 8 & OS X 10.10 "Sabertooth Tabby"
2015 - iOS 9 & OS X 10.11 "Final Cat Pro X"
2016 - Unified into "iOS X"

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I am seeing a issue with the "Cougar" name. The name is copyrighted by another company something that is unrelated to computers but in a automobile. Anyone remember Mercury Cougar.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
haha, cougar, can you imagine the look on people's faces when they see some of the images when searching for cougar

Always thought they'd use Liger at one point. Thats a big-assed cat.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
A Cougar is a Mountain Lion.

Plus this:
Mac-OSX-Cougar.jpg

http://atomictango.com/2009/08/29/mac-osx-cougar/ said:
“Hi, I’m a PC.”

“And I’m a Mac… rowr, you’re cute! Buy me a drink?”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.